MERGED: Queen Mary 2 world voyage 2024 Itinerary Change

tjunmin

Whilst I sympathise with a lot of the above, rather than be negative, take the opportunity to have time in Cape Town which was voted the World’s Best City recently!

The Suez Canal is on my bucket list but the opportunity to cruise round the most southern tip of Africa is an opportunity not to be missed.

The wine region, especially Franschhoek is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever had the privilege of visiting. Much better than Dubai and much less expensive as well!

A few years ago, during covid, I’d have given a vital organ to go on a cruise. Occasionally we need to make the best out of bad situations. It’s also worth checking your travel insurance. Missed ports often get a payout.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KJR999 said:

We have just heard back from Cunard via our TA and they have been offered a free transfer to QA in 2025 doing a similar itinerary via Dubai. The were not prepared to offer a full refund as mention earlier by @Fairplay

That suggests a very optimistic view of the chances of the situation improving.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fairplay said:

I'm loath to feel too sorry for Cunard as a) they have probably got some sort of insurance to cover this - sure their premiums will sky rocket going forward but, for now, I'd be surprised if they're not covered, and, b) some of the fortunes they must have earned on drinks in the past will soften their blow.

insurance doesn’t usually cover acts of war or their effects.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Whilst I sympathise with a lot of the above, rather than be negative, take the opportunity to have time in Cape Town which was voted the World’s Best City recently!

The Suez Canal is on my bucket list but the opportunity to cruise round the most southern tip of Africa is an opportunity not to be missed.

The wine region, especially Franschhoek is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever had the privilege of visiting. Much better than Dubai and much less expensive as well!

A few years ago, during covid, I’d have given a vital organ to go on a cruise. Occasionally we need to make the best out of bad situations. It’s also worth checking your travel insurance. Missed ports often get a payout.

Yes for some this would be true but not everyone me included would relish going round Cape of good Hope even on QM2 but it is what it is and there is no other safe way of getting home.

30 minutes ago, KJR999 said:

We have just heard back from Cunard via our TA and they have been offered a free transfer to QA in 2025 doing a similar itinerary via Dubai. The were not prepared to offer a full refund as mention earlier by @Fairplay

The offer of a free transfer to QA is interesting (it is deadline day after all!) - what leg are you booked on @KJR999 ?

8 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

Yes for some this would be true but not everyone me included would relish going round Cape of good Hope even on QM2 but it is what it is and there is no other safe way of getting home.

You’ll find the Cape of Good Hope weather in their Autumn quite moderate. Whilst I’m not a weather forecaster I have spent a lot of time in Southern Africa and it’s a pleasant time of year. Even further south, but not far, is Cape Agulhas and it’s still nice.

There’s more chance of the QM2 being in worse weather in the Bay of Biscay. Needless to say, she’s built for it.

The one place I wouldn’t trust in April is Cape Horn off South America!

35 minutes ago, Fairplay said:

The offer of a free transfer to QA is interesting (it is deadline day after all!) - what leg are you booked on @KJR999 ?

Singapore to Southampton. QM2 is 36 night and QA is 33.

21 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

You’ll find the Cape of Good Hope weather in their Autumn quite moderate. Whilst I’m not a weather forecaster I have spent a lot of time in Southern Africa and it’s a pleasant time of year. Even further south, but not far, is Cape Agulhas and it’s still nice.

There’s more chance of the QM2 being in worse weather in the Bay of Biscay. Needless to say, she’s built for it.

The one place I wouldn’t trust in April is Cape Horn off South America!

The weather may well be pleasant but the sea conditions for most parts of the year are certainly not and as you might guess from username those conditions don't float my boat.🤣

Just spent afternoon windsurfing just north of Capetown.  30 knot winds but only 4 meter swell, QM2 wouldn't feel it. Weather gets calmer in April.

Cape of good hope nothing spectacular. 

When Cunard cancelled Capetown to UK due to covid and we were stuck and bought own tickets back,  Cunard reimbursed us for Business class back. We were in QG not sure if everyone would be allowed business class

4 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

The weather may well be pleasant but the sea conditions for most parts of the year are certainly not and as you might guess from username those conditions don't float my boat.🤣

Ha ha ha! I’ve just seen your username.

Hilarious 😆 

Edited by swjumbo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ChrisMV said:

Cunard website (USA version at least) slowly updating with the new itineraries

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/find-a-cruise/M408/M408

The new itineraries are posted but they haven't yet updated the titles for the voyages starting or ending in Dubai.

M406B is still called "Sydney to Dubai" but the itinerary is Sydney to Cape Town

M407A is still called "Hong Kong to Dubai" but the itinerary is Hong Kong to Cape Town

M408 is still called "Singapore to Dubai" but the itinerary is Singapore to Cape Town

M409 is still called "Dubai to Southampton" but the itinerary is Cape Town to Southampton

M409A is still called "Dubai to New York" but the itinerary is Cape Town to New York

That's progress anyway. All of the above are "Sold Out" at the moment. I imagine that will change once Cunard allocates available inventory to these segments.

• Like 1

We were booked on the Dubai to New York segment.  Thorough shock -- today I received notification from American Express that a credit was issued from Cunard.  The total is every cent I paid, including CunardCare.  I didn't book airfare through Cunard so still need to see what happens there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KJR999 said:

Outrageous - Cunard should offer you a full refund if you cancel.

If you are in the UK then it should be a no-brainer (under the strict Industry rules) for qualifying for a full refund for you if you choose not to go on the new itinerary.  
It's not a good read here to see that everyone are not being treated the same, which then becomes unreasonable.
Put pressure on your TA to get a full refund and cancel.

Other Pax have posted on social media they have been offered full refunds. 
If no avail call your Credit Card Bank and discuss a chargeback.

IMO frankly I think it's unwise to book QA's WC next year via Dubai and Suez and expect that trip to go to plan as Exlondoner says too.

Edited by rog747
  • Thanks 1

We are booked Cape Town to S’ton on QV, transfer to QM2 for S’ton to NYC sector. Now that QM2 is calling at CT, any advice please on how we change to an all QM2 voyage, CT-NYC. Surely this request to transfer is not a big deal, as when we booked, this option was not available. Seems TA is dithering - waiting on Cunard. Meantime Cunard are advertising incredibly well priced fares CT-S’ton/NYC on QM2. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cunard conundrum said:

We are booked Cape Town to S’ton on QV, transfer to QM2 for S’ton to NYC sector. Now that QM2 is calling at CT, any advice please on how we change to an all QM2 voyage, CT-NYC. Surely this request to transfer is not a big deal, as when we booked, this option was not available. Seems TA is dithering - waiting on Cunard. Meantime Cunard are advertising incredibly well priced fares CT-S’ton/NYC on QM2. 

Instruct your agent to stop dithering. A dithering agent is worse than useless.

If he/she continues dithering, change agents once issues are sorted.

• Like 2

We were booked on Singapore to Southampton and when I rang for details of options I was told about the 500$ obc plus £2475 fcc or full refund. We chose the full refund, still waiting for confirmation email. We felt the new itinerary which we understand the reason for changes,wasn’t why we chose this cruise on QM2. Flights were booked by Cunard so no problem there and our hotel in Singapore we could cancel up to the day before we arrived so no loss there.  We were disappointed having to cancel as we booked January 2022 and now busy looking for somewhere else to go before our Christmas cruise on QV!  Hope everyone still going on this cruise have a lovely time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Fantastic QG price , under 2/3rds of what we paid last year. Unfortunately our visa runs out on 8th April so will have to be out of South Africa before 12th.

When the pricing of the formerly known as 15 day Singapore to Dubai M408 segment (now known as the 21 day Singapore to Cape Town segment) comes out, I am envisioning very low pricing.  It strikes me as a challenging new itinerary to fill up last minute.

Edited by ChrisMV

On 2/1/2024 at 10:57 AM, bluemarble said:

The new itineraries are posted but they haven't yet updated the titles for the voyages starting or ending in Dubai.

M406B is still called "Sydney to Dubai" but the itinerary is Sydney to Cape Town

M407A is still called "Hong Kong to Dubai" but the itinerary is Hong Kong to Cape Town

M408 is still called "Singapore to Dubai" but the itinerary is Singapore to Cape Town

M409 is still called "Dubai to Southampton" but the itinerary is Cape Town to Southampton

M409A is still called "Dubai to New York" but the itinerary is Cape Town to New York

That's progress anyway. All of the above are "Sold Out" at the moment. I imagine that will change once Cunard allocates available inventory to these segments.

I see they've corrected the titles for these voyages to indicate Cape Town instead of Dubai. Bizarrely, they've managed to change the title for M409A to New York to "Cape Town to Southampton", the same as M409. They do have the itinerary and number of nights correct though.

Pricing and availability are now posted for both M409 (Cape Town to Southampton) and M409A (Cape Town to New York).

• Like 2

We have cruised before, and had the itinerary changed, but not the embark/disembark dates and location. We have booked flights and hotels to visit other places from Dubai, most of them non-refundable. Airlines would not waive change/cancellation fees; Cunard would not help with the additional costs; flight insurance would not cover the change fees and differences in airfare price. We feel so lost with either losing all the money we have paid or paying a substantial amount to salvage our trip!

It's not something that cruise companies do regularly but unfortunately Cunard is just one of many cruise lines making changes to their trips in the region. 

I hope you can salvage something from your trip, did you book any of it via a Travel Agent?

3 hours ago, VIII88 said:

We have cruised before, and had the itinerary changed, but not the embark/disembark dates and location. We have booked flights and hotels to visit other places from Dubai, most of them non-refundable. Airlines would not waive change/cancellation fees; Cunard would not help with the additional costs; flight insurance would not cover the change fees and differences in airfare price. We feel so lost with either losing all the money we have paid or paying a substantial amount to salvage our trip!

You could look into the possibility of disembarking in Colombo.

There are direct flights to Dubai that would get you there before your planned arrival.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2024 at 10:57 AM, bluemarble said:

Pricing and availability are now posted for all five of these new QM2 segments to/from Cape Town (rather than Dubai), even if the title for M409A says it's "Cape Town to Southampton" rather than "Cape Town to New York".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1