Why are people unhappy? Prima class review

1 hour ago, dock said:

Will temper our expectations and focus on the ports. 

here is my review of the prima from last may/june. i did a transatlantic back to back, the second leg of which was reykjavik to southampton. you may find it helpful.

1 hour ago, brad0576 said:

Prima class is “different” and there is nothing the general population hates more than “different”

while it's true most people are initially resistant to change, most people welcome competence and passion. they will immediately embrace new ideas when well conceived and implemented. a lot of what they will find on the prima class ships has not been well thought out or implemented properly. if we simply accept that people are always opposed to something new and different, then how do we explain the near universal praise for the indulge food hall? (except for the challenge in finding a seat, of course.) that's certainly new and different and innovative... and people, for the most part, love it!

the prima class has much to enjoy and celebrate, including some of the largest "regular" cabins at sea, but it suffers from poor design decisions at almost every turn. on top of that, the prima's build (talking about the ship here and not necessarily the class) was poorly executed (hence the rooms with persistent and disruptive noise coming from within the walls) and the executive leadership team (with the exception of F&B) is remarkably clueless and doesn't respond well to customer concerns or even take feedback.

the main design problem with the prima class is that the designers assumed that the passenger load would be simultaneously dispersed among all the venues. there is absolutely enough capacity when you take into account all the nooks and crannies on the ship and all seating capacity of all dining venues. the problem is that more people want to eat in real time in the indulge food hall than want to eat at the local. more people want to eat in the commodore room than want to eat at palomar. more people want to eat at the buffet for breakfast than any other venue. and everybody wants to be indoors when it's raining and/or 45 degrees out (fahrenheit).

most of the "good" and "bad" reviews of the prima class mention the very same things... the reviewer's attitude determines the overall tone and tenor of the review. some people love the ship(s) despite their flaws... others encountered some sort of overwhelming problem that tipped the balance toward the negative. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm also a fan of Gary and watch his videos because they're so informative. He also doesn't just review it based on just his needs, but keeps in mind what other cruisers might like. I was worried about the Prima because of the CC reviews, but since I don't go to shows, I do a variety of eating venues and the cold doesn't bother me (I've been in the cruise pools when it's 35 F on deck), the Prima might be a good fit. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We did that cruise, London (Southampton) to Reykjavik last summer and loved it. Were there some problems? Of course there were, the main one was we booked it for itinerary and 2 of the 8 ports were missed.

We liked the small music acts at the lounges and even got to meet a few entertainers. (One pair even wished us a happy anniversary.) Was it perfect? No, tables were often taken by people already there playing cards or games and the bars were somewhat noisy, but we still enjoyed the music and the small setting. I once caught one of the entertainers (a solo singer and guitar player) leaving the theater and asked him what it was like playing when many were not paying attention. He just shrugged.

We got into Syd's the first night even though we were late. The only real line I remember was for Rumours. I even got to speak with 2 of the singers. Note in case you have to sit, I stood, but it is rock and roll. The only time I did have a seat, I ended up getting up as your body is supposed to move for rock and roll.

We did spend a little time on deck 8 which was obviously going to be a much better venue on a warm cruise, but it was ok.

Can't comment on any Haven issues or non-issues because we did not book the Haven.

My bottom line advice is to go looking to have a great time, not to nitpick problems. We truly enjoyed our cruise and had a lovely wedding anniversary on a sea day between Norway and Iceland.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Let me add one off the wonderful things about the ship was the main dining room (Hudsons) overlooks the ocean. On our anniversary, when we told them we try to eat at a venue by water, they gave us a table right by one of the windows.

On our last night, we tried the Local, a free dining room dedicated to comfort good. And when we got to the dessert menu, I ordered the hot fudge sundae. It was awesome. DW said, you are not going to eat that whole thing!. To think we just had celebrated our 46th wedding anniversary and she did not know me at all. 🤣

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

On our last night, we tried the Local, a free dining room dedicated to comfort good. And when we got to the dessert menu, I ordered the hot fudge sundae. It was awesome. DW said, you are not going to eat that whole thing!. To think we just had celebrated our 46th wedding anniversary and she did not know me at all. 🤣

Mmm yes, the local has some excellent food (and drinks)

My favourite was the Reuben then the fudge Sunday. yummy yummy!!!!

Edited by Markj
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Markj said:

Mmm yes, the local has some excellent food (and drinks)

My favourite was the Reuben then the fudge Sunday. yummy yummy!!!!

We both had the fish and chips. DW had a Caesar's Salad and I had pretzel bites with IIRC a cheese fondue to dip them in.

And then came the dessert menu. I wish we had discovered that earlier in the cruise!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, dock said:

Oh gosh, I’m now stressed about our Iceland/Norway cruise in summer of 2025.

It’s  a great itinerary as I’d like to do both in one trip. @IAcruising, should I consider another line ? 

actually you should be more concerned with just only doing a few ports in Norway.   I think you should try to do just a Norway cruise and with as many ports as you can.   Royal and Hal do those longer Norway trips.

And I think a lot of the NCL trips are 1 way which means you will pay more for air.  If I were you, I would only keep the NCL cruise but for 2026 if you intend to go back again.  Norway is a much bigger country and nicer and more interesting port.   Also doing just Norway in 2025 is good before the put restrictions on Geiranger and Flam.   So do some research on Norway and consider just a Norway 10-14 day trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

actually you should be more concerned with just only doing a few ports in Norway.   I think you should try to do just a Norway cruise and with as many ports as you can.   Royal and Hal do those longer Norway trips.

And I think a lot of the NCL trips are 1 way which means you will pay more for air.  If I were you, I would only keep the NCL cruise but for 2026 if you intend to go back again.  Norway is a much bigger country and nicer and more interesting port.   Also doing just Norway in 2025 is good before the put restrictions on Geiranger and Flam.   So do some research on Norway and consider just a Norway 10-14 day trip.

There's no ceartantity that be restrictions will come into force. They are being made by central government in Norway and not by the local people who are very concerned at the revenue they will lose if these restrictions come into place!

On 2/4/2024 at 5:38 PM, Markj said:

There's no ceartantity that be restrictions will come into force. They are being made by central government in Norway and not by the local people who are very concerned at the revenue they will lose if these restrictions come into place!

still  most folks are being advised to try and get to Norway this year or next.

And it is only some ports that are inland. 

The Queen found a cruise last night, for Jan 2025, aboard the Prima, out of Galveston. We've been on NCL before and do prefer them over the others. Have not been on these new class ships though.

I appreciate the comments here to help with our decision. 

Being I have just started researching this ship, another complaint I have come across is the MDR menus. Is the menu the same thing every night or is it revolving/changing menus nightly?  I have heard both in the mere 30 minutes of research I have done this a.m.. Unfortunately, most of the reviews so far are pushing a year old. Maybe they have revamped that idea and more recent experience differ.

Any comments concerning the MDR's dining experiences would be appreciated.

Thank you.

(we are leaving for a S Caribbean in 3 weeks on Princess. Not our line of choice, but liked the itinerary)

4 minutes ago, PapaSquatch said:

The Queen found a cruise last night, for Jan 2025, aboard the Prima, out of Galveston. We've been on NCL before and do prefer them over the others. Have not been on these new class ships though.

Being I have just started researching this ship, another complaint I have come across is the MDR menus. Is the menu the same thing every night or is it revolving/changing menus nightly?  I have heard both in the mere 30 minutes of research I have done this a.m.. Unfortunately, most of the reviews so far are pushing a year old. Maybe they have revamped that idea and more recent experience differ.

Thank you.

(we are leaving for a S Caribbean in 3 weeks on Princess. Not our line of choice, but liked the itinerary)

As of now the MDR menus rotate.  A few basics that don't change and several different entrees that do rotate.  They also have a section where they have something you can choose from one of the specialty diners.  Enjoy.  Prima has great food and there is  a lot to choose from.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PapaSquatch said:

Thank you.

You are hearing different things because at one time NCL experimented on the Prima with a menu in the MDR that did not change with the hope to later do that on all their ships. The experiment did not work, and they changed back to the normal rotating menus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

We booked Prima for December.  Yes, crappy reviews and same tired ports but wanted to experience for ourselves what it is all about .

Take the cruise with the attitude that you are going to have a great time, and remember the positive reviews. If you fixate on the negative reviews and expect all sort of things to be terrible, it will turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 7:47 AM, dock said:

We’ve booked for the itinerary, so for now will keep it and see how the reviews pan out. 

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. 

My take is (1) people insist on comparing the Prima/Viva to her bigger cousin like the Escape and (2) people don't like change. 

(1) you're comparing the facilities on a 3100 passenger ship against a 4500 passenger ship. Yup, the 4500 passenger ship has bigger venues, because it has to. By proportion, it is like comparing the Escape to the Oasis of the Seas (a 6000 passenger ship). The Prima/Viva provides all of the latest venues from the newer ships, but on a smaller scale. You don't have the space to have a small ship with big venues. You can eliminate venues and make the remaining ones bigger (oh,,, wait for the complaints). When you "right size" the venues,,,, oh the complaints that they are not the same size as those on much bigger ships. 

(2) People don't like change. Period. As a executive in a big company in a prior life, I continually went through "change management" training on teaching how to introduce change into organizations and get acceptance (note: you gotta get people to adapt, evolve, and accept change - they don't do it naturally). In the case of a cruise line, you just wait until the "old timers" who resist change accept the change or just avoid the new ships and go back to the Jewel class "old fashion" ships. And stop complaining. 

We have been cruising for decades. We don't miss the hard, wooden lounger that you had to rent on the pool deck. We don't miss the string quartet being the highlight entertainment in the evening. And we embrace change. We have sailed on the Prima twice and Viva once. And are actively looking to book another Prima/Viva cruise this year,,, waiting for the Aqua. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Take the cruise with the attitude that you are going to have a great time, and remember the positive reviews.

i had read the bad reviews and dismissed them. and so i followed this very advice! i sailed on the prima with a positive attitude expecting to have a great time.

the ship itself had other ideas, as did many team members, who failed at almost every customer touchpoint.  my personal experience was that the ship far exceeded my expectations... it was far worse than the worst reviews. many others will have a great time, especially if their sleep is not disrupted by one of the notoriously noisy rooms that they have been unable to fix. i wasn't so lucky.

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

People don't like change. Period.

if people don't like change, then how do you explain the near universal praise for the food in the indulge food hall? people will initially resist change and ultimately embrace it; what they won't embrace is poor design choices, faulty execution and poor customer service.

you continually present a straw man argument that people erroneously  compare the prima and viva to much larger ships when they say the venues are small. that's not the case. they are saying the venues are too small for the number of passengers onboard the prima and viva, especially in light of the popularity of the venues. the design decision they made assumes that passengers would be disbursed across the ship... when in fact, guests want to go to the same two or three venues over and over again.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As one can easily see there are widely different views of the Prima. All I can say is look at the thread with the survey would you sail on the Prima again. Yes is well ahead of no (at least as of the time I am posting this). 

• Like 1

Regarding the Haven Lounge being desolate, can't I use my butler phone and get a snack/bev brought to me there while I read/play cards?

Sounds like poor planning if it is missing snacks/coffee bar