Popcorn - $3.50 for small box -ridiculous

1 hour ago, PACrew said:

The reality is cruiselines like RCCL are shifting more toward a land-based resort model of pricing. I wouldn't be surprised in the future to see your cruise ticket only covering your room with all food being a cost just like a hotel. Maybe they offer meal plans like Disney or and all inclusive option but I wouldn't be surprised to see lines remove all complimentary/included food. The lines will chalk it up to choice and better quality, 

I hope that's not the case but it wouldn't surprise me. 

Maybe.  But it's kind of hard to go anywhere else for meals when your hundreds of miles from land.  I guess they could say "Buffet is included, MDR is an upcharge of $x/meal, and specialty restaurants are $y/meal".  

We're not dedicated cruisers, so I think if we had to pay extra for meals, we'd go elsewhere for our vacation dollars. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Maybe.  But it's kind of hard to go anywhere else for meals when your hundreds of miles from land.  I guess they could say "Buffet is included, MDR is an upcharge of $x/meal, and specialty restaurants are $y/meal".  

We're not dedicated cruisers, so I think if we had to pay extra for meals, we'd go elsewhere for our vacation dollars. 

I agree.  I am not going to pay a bunch extra for food.  As long as the buffet is included, we will continue to cruise & may even pay for one or two MDR meals if they do go to that model.  I don't mind paying extra for alcohol, but as soon as they start to nickel and dime me on food I will be looking at only going to all inclusives instead of alternating like we do now.  (just got back from a very nice stay in Cozumel yesterday and cruising in May on Royal.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PACrew said:

The reality is cruiselines like RCCL are shifting more toward a land-based resort model of pricing. I wouldn't be surprised in the future to see your cruise ticket only covering your room with all food being a cost just like a hotel. Maybe they offer meal plans like Disney or and all inclusive option but I wouldn't be surprised to see lines remove all complimentary/included food. The lines will chalk it up to choice and better quality, 

I hope that's not the case but it wouldn't surprise me. 

Or it pushes you to a line like Virgin where everything sans alcohol and shore excursions is in the upfront price.  It was very refreshing to buy a $10 drink and have it cost $10, not $11.80...

On 2/5/2024 at 10:18 AM, TeeRick said:

What do you pay for it at home going to the movie theatre?

I don't buy it there either, but I also haven't already paid for food to be included at the movie theater. The expectation of cruises, at least used to be, that food is included.  

Everything is an extra charge now it seems.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

I don't buy it there either, but I also haven't already paid for food to be included at the movie theater. The expectation of cruises, at least used to be, that food is included.  

Everything is an extra charge now it seems.

Big bags of Popcorn on Virgins Resilient Lady, Gratis along with the free ice cream no limits.😋

Let me throw a debate grenade into the conversation:

Popcorn is a mess to clean so we charge to reduce it.

Cruisers still insist on buying it so we charge more based on the cost and effort to clean spaces after selling it.

I do not know about other people's experiences, but melting ice cream is sticky and can become a slipping hazard on the pool deck. I have seen a few wilting cones on top of deck lounge chairs melting like Frosty the Snowman under a heat lamp.

Do we start charging for the "included with the price" soft-serve on the pool deck to avoid such meltdowns and their clean-up costs?

🤔

1 minute ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Let me throw a debate grenade into the conversation:

Popcorn is a mess to clean so we charge to reduce it.

Cruisers still insist on buying it so we charge more based on the cost and effort to clean spaces after selling it.

I do not know about other people's experiences, but melting ice cream is sticky and can become a slipping hazard on the pool deck. I have seen a few wilting cones on top of deck lounge chairs melting like Frosty the Snowman under a heat lamp.

Do we start charging for the "included with the price" soft-serve on the pool deck to avoid such meltdowns and their clean-up costs?

🤔

Ever try to vacuum up popcorn?

Ice Cream can be rinsed away very easily and just gets sticky as it dries, not slippery.  

Just now, BND said:

Ever try to vacuum up popcorn?

Ice Cream can be rinsed away very easily and just gets sticky as it dries, not slippery.  

I hate the feeling on my flops as I pull away from the sticky mess, let alone if it gets on my wife's sundress!

🤣

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 10:47 AM, gonole1972 said:

With RCCL looking to have a great year financially one would think that don't need to charge $3.50 for a very small half full box of popcorn.  Really??

You can bring some onboard and when you hit ports buy some more. We do allot of TA's

and enjoy the movies throughout our cruises!

Was popcorn ever free on RC?  If so, I wonder if perhaps greed has led to the price for it.

Little boxes of cereal, and individual bags of potato chips, used to be readily available.  Then, after  greedy people started taking shopping bags and filling them with these items, and depleting the supply for others, cereal became dispenser only, and chips are by request, one or two per person.

??

3 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Was popcorn ever free on RC?  If so, I wonder if perhaps greed has led to the price for it.

Little boxes of cereal, and individual bags of potato chips, used to be readily available.  Then, after  greedy people started taking shopping bags and filling them with these items, and depleting the supply for others, cereal became dispenser only, and chips are by request, one or two per person.

??

I dont remember popcorn on royal ever being free. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

??

When I read this, I thought of the highlighted words in an entirely different light.