infinite veranda, does anyone like these things?

sunsetme

24 minutes ago, the penguins said:

we have sat on our traditional balcony for around 3 hours on practically every sea day on every Transatlantic cruise - both directions on both the northerly and southernly route.

Just out of curiosity, what was your usual type of outerwear while on the balcony? We are doing our first transatlantic cruise this October on the Ascent (Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale) and are wondering what conditions we might expect. Also our first time in an infinite veranda stateroom. 

Edited by Kelownadon

5 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Totally understand where you are coming from. But in this ever-changing world in which we live in, and all the technology available to us, one has to own their decisions and why they make them. I see no reason to be miserable over a different kind of veranda.   

If only it was a veranda and not an open/close window.

9 hours ago, Kelownadon said:

Just out of curiosity, what was your usual type of outerwear while on the balcony? We are doing our first transatlantic cruise this October on the Ascent (Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale) and are wondering what conditions we might expect. Also our first time in an infinite veranda stateroom. 

We have never had an IV and never will.

Apart from the uncomfortable chairs can't imagine what the cabin would be like after we had sat for 3 hours with the window open i.e. with no heating /cooling in the cabin.

With regard to clothing the answer is always "layers" with the top being a waterproof jacket. I usually manage with shorts but occasionally change to long pants. 

Our preferred balcony is Deck 7, rearward facing to keep us out of the wind. The overhang from 8 keeps any rain out. On boarding we collect 4 pool towels and 4 blankets from the spa pool (if the blankets aren't out a Pool Attendant will get them for you). We use the towels/blankets to line the backs and seats of the chairs with one towel rolled up as a back cushion. We return the towels and blankets on the last afternoon.

We have our lunch on the balcony.

Lunch for us is very simple and all collected from the buffet:  Hot soup (in a takeaway coffee cup with a lid), choice of bread and a jello with fruit topped with ice cream/or acake. Takeaway cups are also good for fries, stir fried vegetables etc. After we eat the Boss clears the table while I take a short walk to the Al Bacio for a  takeaway latte and a hot chocolate to round off our lunch.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 5:17 PM, Torfamm said:

A lot of people need a room that’s dark in order to sleep. I don’t necessarily want to get up at sunrise, especially when it’s very early. I’m Alaska, Norway etc it can be 4:00.

Eye mask.  They make lovely silk ones plus many other variations.

We like them.  It's a clean, climate-controlled area (when the window is up) to watch the sea go by.  100% agree that the chairs are awful (we were on Beyond).  It's also nice to have the extra space, which is again, clean and dry.

I can see why those who spend a lot of time on regular balconies wouldn't like them though.

I’m not a fan of the infinite balcony as we had one on the Edge. It was a Caribbean cruise and the room did get hot when you had the window open. Also the chairs are uncomfortable. I do prefer the S and M class ships with true balconies. 

If these Infinite balconies are so great why didn’t the suites have them as well. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

As someone who has booked a few hundred Infinite Verandas over the last few years, including many for first timers, I will say my experience does not match what you are trying to convey. We field a lot of complaints and gripes but that is not one of them. Like many things on CC there is a vocal few with a strong opinion who try to convince everyone else their opinion is the right opinion. 

So you actually called all one hundred customers to see what they liked and disliked about their cruise?

For myself if I don't like something on a cruise,  I just book something different next time.  My TA has no idea what was good and bad about my last cruise. 

The IVs are part of the reason I will not sail on E unless in a suite.

Perhaps you can tell us why the suites do not have the IVs.  Everyone is waiting for an answer to this question...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 4:45 PM, Jeremiah1212 said:

As someone who has booked a few hundred Infinite Verandas over the last few years, including many for first timers, I will say my experience does not match what you are trying to convey. We field a lot of complaints and gripes but that is not one of them. Like many things on CC there is a vocal few with a strong opinion who try to convince everyone else their opinion is the right opinion. 

Of course you have. Most passengers choose by itinerary first not by cabin category. If that means booking E class they really don't have much choice as the other cabins are in very short supply. For example on Edge a typical Deck with cabins for example Deck 9 (excluding suites) has 12 real balconies and 162 IV's. The other decks are basically the same.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 12:59 AM, RichYak said:

Try telling that to someone from the UK who sails out of Southampton. E-class is the only game in town.

On 2/9/2024 at 12:45 PM,  2Long2NxtCrz said:

As long as Celebrity doesn't get rid of the S and M class ships, there's something for everyone.

And Australia. We’re stuck with the Edge out of Sydney and that’s it. We don’t care for that ship, nor the rooms with a window that opens. Not prepared to spend on a SV which we did last year including Christmas. X has lost our business for Aus/NZ cruising, including our annual Christmas/NY cruise. Much better deal on Princess with a Reserve Mini Suite. 

Edit. Sorry messed up order of quotes. Obviously RichYak replied to 2Long and I meant to reply to both. 🤪

Edited by cruisingaussies
  • Like 3

Non starter for us. We like a real balcony and typically keep doors open at night. Love balcony for  morning coffee and allowing one to feel part of the ocean. Plus where are going to put your damp swim suits to dry on an IV. Have been on Apex and Ascent and they are attractive ships but we stayed in SS (maybe the diabolical X plan is to get balcony lovers to 'upgrade') because SV's weren't available.

Our sweet spot for years on X was AQ on SClass. In part the IV has caused us to migrate to other lines (MSC, Holland, Princess).

Beyond IV's the main issue for us is X pricing but as they say, that's a story for another day.

ps. I do think many/most IV passengers know what they are getting but we have spoken to people prior to cruise who tell us they have balconies and clearly aren't aware of the different arrangement.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

ps. I do think many/most IV passengers know what they are getting but we have spoken to people prior to cruise who tell us they have balconies and clearly aren't aware of the different arrangement.

I would ask, who's fault would that be?

7 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Non starter for us. We like a real balcony and typically keep doors open at night..

You are impacting he HVAC of the cabins around you by doing this...FYI.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Well

i guess you can't open your IV window then

It is only an issue if you lave either one open and then open your cabin door.

Thats what Ive been told

32 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I would ask, who's fault would that be?

Celebrity calling it a veranda and grossly overmarketing an open/close window. Call it a Premium Ocean View...  Now days I just tune out the Celebrity commercials.  

Kind of similar to what they do with the Magic Carpet marketing.  It is nice for tendering, but not much else...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Actually we are very active in the climate movement and try and do our small part by not using AC in the evening.

9 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Actually we are very active in the climate movement and try and do our small part by not using AC in the evening.

Sounds sweaty in the Caribbean. 🙂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, highway180 said:

Well

i guess you can't open your IV window then

It is only an issue if you lave either one open and then open your cabin door.

Thats what Ive been told

You make a valid point with these types of cabins…

Cabin door and “balcony” door open will definitely cause a ruckus..especially at sea with strong winds..we probably have all done it at times…