MSC Veterans! Newbie with Questions!

This will be our first MSC cruise, so please forgive these questions.

1.  Is it possible to make a reservation at just the steakhouse?   I don't need a package for 2 or 3 - just the one.  If it is possible, how is it done?

2.  Can I dine with my husband in the MDR?  Is that automatic, like on some lines, or must I make a special request?

3.  How do I find/purchase a soda package?

4.  When will our room be assigned?

5.  How far before the cruise do they offer a chance to bid for an upgrade?

6.  When is the buffet open?

7.  Can we get breakfast in the MDR on sea days or all days?

8.  Hotel suggestions in Port Canaveral?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Have you downloaded the. SC for Me app?  Much of that can be done in the app.  Also on the MSC website when you register and login to your booking.

Apparently you have booked a gty cabin.  It can be assigned any time.  Sometimes they notify you by email.  If you are eligible to bid for an upgrade, you will get an email invitation.

I’ve never heard of having to ask to dine with your spouse in the MDR.  All lines I have sailed, it’s expected.  
 Breakfast is served in the MDR daily,  it hours are limited.  They will be listed in the app and on the daily program.  Buffet hours are also in the app and the program.

You can make the steakhouse reservation in person or in the app.  
if you tell us what ship you are on and which experience (Bella, Fantastica, Aurea) you booked we can be more specific.  
Here is an example of the dining hours on the Seashore in December.

IMG_0433.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

1.  Is it possible to make a reservation at just the steakhouse?   I don't need a package for 2 or 3 - just the one.  If it is possible, how is it done?

Yes, but only once you are onboard. Even with a package you cannot make specific reservations for a date/time before you board.

56 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

2.  Can I dine with my husband in the MDR?  Is that automatic, like on some lines, or must I make a special request?

The MDR is automatic, you do not need to request it. Depending on which experience you book you will either be assigned a sitting or you will have access to anytime dining.

59 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

There is an alcohol-free package available which includes soda, but not a specific soda package. You will be able to purchase that once you have made your reservation.

1 hour ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

If you are booking Bella then your cabin can be assigned anywhere from almost immediately onwards ,there are no fixed time periods for this....

You will usually begin to receive invitations to bid after you've made your final payment.

Buffet is open for all meal times and also has a limited late service up to 1am.

You can get breakfast in the MDR every day, not just sea days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course you can dine with your husband! Do you mean can you dine only with your husband? As in a table for two? That one may be trickier. You are likely to be assigned a sharing table, especially if you are Bella.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

This will be our first MSC cruise, so please forgive these questions.

8.  Hotel suggestions in Port Canaveral?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Hello.

It is important to know if you booked with Bella, Fantastica or Aurea experience. They have different prices (and options on board)

MDR. You wil ALWAYS have a seat. Depending of your experience, timetable will be different

Breakfast and lunch are always available on MDR. It is a limited timetable (not so long as buffet) but you can you, of course. In these cases, first to arrive, first to choose a table.  (for dinner, you will have a shift and a table)

buffet... have a glance to other daily programs. As you can see, long opening for breakfast and lunch. Some services after 16:00

Drinks, you may choose non-alcoholic pack. It will include all drinks without alcohol

• Thanks 1

If you are sailing from a US port, the. MDR will only be open for lunch on sea days, not port days.  This is different from cruises in Europe.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

12 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Of course you can dine with your husband! Do you mean can you dine only with your husband? As in a table for two? That one may be trickier. You are likely to be assigned a sharing table, especially if you are Bella.

I am sorry.  I wasn't clear.  I have a very rare craniofacial deformity that often leads to stares and rude comments.  I much prefer a table for just my husband and me.  I have emailed disability services, and so we shall see what they say.

This answer was very helpful.  Thank you.

I am sorry.  I wasn't clear.  I have a very rare craniofacial deformity that often leads to stares and rude comments.  I much prefer a table for just my husband and me.  I have emailed disability services, and so we shall see what they say.

If you booked Bella or Fantastica experience you won’t know your dining assignment until you get your cruise card.  When you board, the Welcome aboard paper will list where to go to question your dining assignment.  They will be able to tell you what size table you have and change it if possible.  Unfortunately on some ships the two tops are so close to others that you might as well be at a six top…pics from Seaside.

IMG_0215.jpeg

IMG_0216.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 7:41 AM, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I have benign essential tremors of both arms, hands and head. We always try for a table for 2 to avoid spilling anything on others. So many people now get email addresses and contact cruise lines ahead of time that 2 tops are hard to come by. With MSC, we find that going to the MDR desk upon boarding we have no problem explaining the situation and being assigned a table for two. I think this is your best choice.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Morecruisesplz said:

I have benign essential tremors of both arms, hands and head. We always try for a table for 2 to avoid spilling anything on others. So many people now get email addresses and contact cruise lines ahead of time that 2 tops are hard to come by. With MSC, we find that going to the MDR desk upon boarding we have no problem explaining the situation and being assigned a table for two. I think this is your best choice.

They handle disability requests here, worth a try, shot them an email.

mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2024 at 4:36 PM, Essiesmom said:

If you booked Bella or Fantastica experience you won’t know your dining assignment until you get your cruise card.  When you board, the Welcome aboard paper will list where to go to question your dining assignment.  They will be able to tell you what size table you have and change it if possible.  Unfortunately on some ships the two tops are so close to others that you might as well be at a six top…pics from Seaside.

IMG_0215.jpeg

IMG_0216.jpeg

Hello:

I will travel with MSC in June. We traveled with 14 family members with different reservations and a fantastic experience.
I know that the preferred dinner time was indicated, and that the travel agent processed them all together.

What are the chances that we'll get to the ship and see that we have different dinner times, different tables, and even different MDRs?
Are they quite agile and effective in fixing these issues?

Ok, total MSC newbie here.  Just want to make sure I'm understanding what I'm reading here...... You are assigned seating and times for dinner?  You can't just show up when you want and get your own table?  Thanks 

Just now, dbrown84 said:

Ok, total MSC newbie here.  Just want to make sure I'm understanding what I'm reading here...... You are assigned seating and times for dinner?  You can't just show up when you want and get your own table?  Thanks 

Guess I should also ask......is there a dress code.  By that I mean dress up more than shorts and slides?

3 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Guess I should also ask......is there a dress code.  By that I mean dress up more than shorts and slides?

If you have the Bella or Fantastica experience, you will be assigned a dining room, time, and table.  You will need to show up within 15 minutes of your assigned time. Shorts and open toes shoes for men are supposed to be a no no, but you are unlikely to be turned away unless it is an Elegant Night. Tank tops on men you definitely have a higher chance of getting turned away on any night.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, alserrod said:

Hello:

I will travel with MSC in June. We traveled with 14 family members with different reservations and a fantastic experience.
I know that the preferred dinner time was indicated, and that the travel agent processed them all together.

What are the chances that we'll get to the ship and see that we have different dinner times, different tables, and even different MDRs?
Are they quite agile and effective in fixing these issues?

I would recommend that one of you get everyone's cabin number and booking number, then on the website, you can log in and link your reservations, if they are not already linked. You probably won't be able to get a single table for 14, but you should be able to get a couple of tables near each other in the same dining room at the same time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

If you have the Bella or Fantastica experience, you will be assigned a dining room, time, and table.  You will need to show up within 15 minutes of your assigned time. Shorts and open toes shoes for men are supposed to be a no no, but you are unlikely to be turned away unless it is an Elegant Night. Tank tops on men you definitely have a higher chance of getting turned away on any night.

Thanks.  I saw that you have live feeds here, which I'm going to read.  I always enjoyed them on the NCL board 

OP here.  I did email Accessibility Services, and they replied:

"We have received this email request.  Please be sure to inform your Maître d’ once on board.  They will be able to assist you with your request."

While I don't expect them to rearrange the dining room, and a table like in @Essiesmom's post would be fine, I cannot deal with a round table with many people I don't know.  It's very stressful as people will often stare openly or refuse to look at me at all.  I have been asked very personal questions by complete strangers who think that their curiosity about my appearance trumps my right to privacy and dignity,  

ANYHOO - I am worried I will be ignored or viewed as a "Karen" - when all I am trying to do is enjoy my cruise.

Any experiences with this?  Advice? Thanks to @Morecruisesplz for sharing the positive experience!

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I would recommend that one of you get everyone's cabin number and booking number, then on the website, you can log in and link your reservations, if they are not already linked. You probably won't be able to get a single table for 14, but you should be able to get a couple of tables near each other in the same dining room at the same time.

Thank you Jamie

To my best kwnoledge, Agent sent all reservations joined (I have all reservations numbers as well as cabin numbers)

Is there any corner where to ask if it is ok?

3 hours ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

"We have received this email request.  Please be sure to inform your Maître d’ once on board.  They will be able to assist you with your request."

While I don't expect them to rearrange the dining room, and a table like in @Essiesmom's post would be fine, I cannot deal with a round table with many people I don't know.  It's very stressful as people will often stare openly or refuse to look at me at all.  I have been asked very personal questions by complete strangers who think that their curiosity about my appearance trumps my right to privacy and dignity,  

ANYHOO - I am worried I will be ignored or viewed as a "Karen" - when all I am trying to do is enjoy my cruise.

Any experiences with this?  Advice? Thanks to @Morecruisesplz for sharing the positive experience!

I have rarely in our 50+ cruises not been able to be accommodated at a 2 top. MSC was more understanding and helpful than other lines, but all they had available were 2 tops lined up as in the photos that others have posted. So I asked for the end table in the row so only 2 beside us and they only showed up twice. The 1st time we said hi when they arrived and then I explained my situation during a lull in their conversation. Better to be forewarned was my thinking.

I completely understand the concern. People can be rude if they don’t understand. One said "why are you so nervous?" Being shakey is not nervous. Kids stare as do some adults which makes me more shakey. I recommend proceeding with a positive attitude and feel sure you'll get a table you like. Ask to look at their suggestion. Enjoy your cruise and try not to be concerned with others.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I made a request through accessibility services for a two top and they emailed me saying it would best be handled by calling.  I called the number in the email which turned out to be a regular customer service number.  They told me the request was in my records.  We went to the dining room where changes were being made on embarkation day and had no trouble getting the two top, and even getting a better time.  I didn't even have to explain why we had the need.  The next day we received a call from guest services making sure we had been accommodated.  Relax and look forward to your cruise.  Your key card will only say the table number and time, so verify at the dining room mentioned in the welcome aboard daily (ours said they would be there until four) that you are at a two top.  Worst case scenario, you may have to explain why you need it, but most likely they will just accommodate you.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:45 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

That is excellent advise. Do not book MSC without a travel agent.

We booked on our own without a TA.  No issues other than at disembarkation over a billing issue but that would also have happened with a TA.  If you’ve cruised before and have booked on your own before you should be able to handle a direct booking.  Just book with an open mind and try to go with the flow.  They run things differently at MSC sometimes.

On 2/19/2024 at 1:37 PM, JamieLogical said:

We did actually see someone denied entry into the MDR on elegant night because they had shorts and a non collared shirt.  I was surprised but also glad that they are attempting to keep the “cruise etiquette” dress code going.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

We booked on our own without a TA.  No issues other than at disembarkation over a billing issue but that would also have happened with a TA.  If you’ve cruised before and have booked on your own before you should be able to handle a direct booking.  Just book with an open mind and try to go with the flow.  They run things differently at MSC sometimes.

On any other cruise line yes. MSC no!

I don't know how often you cruise with  them or what category you book , as well as length of sailing and which countries,but the issues I have been subject to are terrible and a TA is my safety net . It's costs nothing to have a TA.

Every cruise it seems has an issue. I have a cruise this weekend coming and they moved my YCGS even though I originally booked it on another sailing and gave it to a TA. I got my room back.

I have have ships changed, embarkation ports changed, disembarkation ports changed. Rooms taken away, days added to a cruise. OBC missing, on and on. This happens not just here in the US, but on sailings around the world .

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

We did actually see someone denied entry into the MDR on elegant night because they had shorts and a non collared shirt.  I was surprised but also glad that they are attempting to keep the “cruise etiquette” dress code going.

When and what ship? Where they ridiculous looking, too short or ripped? Had to be real bad for them to say anything.

Last month on Seashore they were even letting shorte into the YC restaurant and not saying a word.