Will be QA become a favorit of Cunard fans?

Germancruiser

Well, as I really like Cunard - the style - the ships, I am, of course curious about Queen Anne. The Maiden Voyage approches fast.

I hesitated to book a voyage on board QA. I will wait and see how the Cunard fans adapt to the new ship. How will the lack a of Cunard trademark- the Prom- Deck be taken? How did they manage to change the ship from the Konigsdam Class to a real Cunarder. Cunard ships are known that one is connected with the sea at every twist and turn. Is that still the case with QA?

I sailed on board HAL`s Nieuw Amsterdam- which is basicly built as QA- and to be honest- never again on this ship class.

All that remains to be seen. Can´t wait for the first hand reports from on board QA.

• Like 1

We will really have to wait and see, of course.

It has to be said that both QV and QE are similar in many respects that are all based around the original Vista Class, of which P&O have Arcadia, and HAL has the 4 ''sisters of the Compass''.
Cunard added their 'touch' on the QV and QE with the Grills decks and with other enhancements like the Queens Room, Royal Court Etc.

The newer HAL pair being Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are slightly bigger (known as the Signature Class) and all are still based on the Vista, as are the new HAL Pinnacle Class ships, and of course Cunard's Project Halifax ie: The Queen Anne.

Yes, the Vista and Signature ships all have the rather nice Prom Deck, whereas the latest Pinnacle Class of which Queen Anne is a hefty larger version of, adapted for Cunard with the Grills Etc, unfortunately now have the large Lifeboats placed right on the Prom Deck (not hung above) which not just restricts the width of the Deck, but alas, hardly now has any views, nor any deck chair seating.

I've not sailed on the HAL Pinnacles as yet (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and the Rotterdam) but in 2017 I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam and we followed the brand new Koningsdam around the Caribbean, and I have to say she probably was not for me.

From seeing the Queen Anne's interior decor plans and heard the comments from her Designers, and seen the initial Promo Photos (she is seemingly very fresh, with cool Art Deco, beiges, teals, black, and steel) I have to say she looks very nice inside, and I think many folk could well be wow'ed.

I will take a 'taster' Voyage on her once the dust settles, and then decide for myself if the trade off of no real Prom Deck to relax or sit on, versus the cool Deco interior design, wins me over, or not.

As a Cunard loyal passenger, just an aside, I never liked nor wanted the name, Queen Anne.

I've always wished that the name could have been more of a traditional nod from Cunard's past Liners, say Mauretania or Aquitania. 
Much more 'sexy'...
You could say to the neighbours ''Oh, we're sailing
on the Aquitania...''

But that's just me LOL. 

Edited by rog747
  • Like 4

I totaly agree, with everything you wrote- including the name decision- LOL. Aquitania would have been my favorite name. So do I- waiting until the dust has settled a bit and maybe a short voyage ( which in my case means a 7 nighter) to see how it works without the Prom Deck. I wrote about the Prom Deck very early on- and was called a " Prom- Deck- whiner" - which- of course I admit- I am. LOL.

• Thanks 1

No, not at all, I am with you, right up there lamenting that a new Cunard ship comes without a true Prom Deck.

Sitting on a deck chair, or nodding off in a steamer chair on the Prom deck of a Liner is the one thing that I love...and why I cruise.

Sadly it seems the bigger you go, then you fall into the latest Solas Reg's for big new large capacity Lifeboats and where they are placed.
The Costa Concordia rescue debacle was partly pivotal in this change too.

Edited by rog747
  • Like 3

I can't speak much for the rest of the current Cunard fleet, as I've only sailed on QE twice and QV once, the other 18 times on QM2 - but I'm really

for Queen Anne.

Do I think it will replace QM2 in terms of my favourite ship? Not at all. But for a way to holiday, it does currently have some (personal) perks that appeal to me, namely the new speciality dining options, as when we were on QM2 for two months, it felt a bit repetitive to me.

I think there will be things people like, love, and hate, but that is the same with any ship. So far, I think Cunard are doing a good job of trying to blend the old world with the new, and I look forward to seeing the renderings in person in the coming months. I really do think I, and probably many others, will be impressed.

8 hours ago, rog747 said:

I've always wished that the name could have been more of a traditional nod from Cunard's past Liners, say Mauretania or Aquitania.

I too was hoping this. I also learned from Stephen Payne's talk onboard QM2 in December 2021, that Cunard wanted to call QM2 Mauretania, but it was Carnival who wanted the name to match the QE2 (and so I am assuming they could create the "Cunard Queens" branding)

Edited by MylesS
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Cunard ships are known that one is connected with the sea at every twist and turn. Is that still the case with QA?

I believe this is the best question asked so far. So many new mega/mall/resort ships seem to have zero connection to the sea (my wife mwas on one, not me) and I do love that connection that Cunard offers. I hope that sea connection continues on QA. 
With that said, the ship looks fantastic. 

Maybe Cunard’s 250th named ship will revert back to Roman provincial names. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 3

I've already booked to go on her twice this year. The lack of a 'proper' promenade deck isn't a deal breaker for me, as long as there is space to walk around and get some sea air. Curious to see what the design choices for the interior look like in reality.

• Like 3

Oh yes, I really like what I saw so far from the renderings of QA´s interiour. Agreed, with all the Superliners and floating funparks the one thing that makes a sea voyage special- the connection with the sea-  is totaly lost.

During the end of Covid there where great offers for MSC´s Yacht Club- so I took the chance and tried that. on board  their Seaside ships Class. Three decks in front of the ship are reserved and only accesed via your ship card - for the Yacht Club guests. I nice experience, where all is glas - so you are " at sea" there. For the other part of the ship- not so much- most lounges, restaurants are " indoors" with sometimes no windows at all. So the only way I would ever go back to them is in Yacht Club. Seaside Class has also a wrap round Prom Deck- the liveboats hanging beneath that deck. So that is a real plus with this class of ships. But give me a Cunarder instead any day. LOL.

• Like 2

We fancied trying QA but all her voyages are pretty bleugh. Wish cunard could come up with some new itineraries for her  been to most of her ports of call got the badge the rash and the t-shirt lol 😆 now looking at QV in med but again ports of call are same old same old 🤷‍♀️🙄 doesn't inspire. 😕🤔🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

We fancied trying QA but all her voyages are pretty bleugh. Wish cunard could come up with some new itineraries for her  been to most of her ports of call got the badge the rash and the t-shirt lol 😆 now looking at QV in med but again ports of call are same old same old 🤷‍♀️🙄 doesn't inspire. 😕🤔🤔

Unfortunately the Black Sea, Red Sea, St. Petersburg, parts of Norway, and some other traditional cruise routes are out action for now.

I wish I could think of new itineraries. 

I would say we seasoned cruises have all the same " problem" ( which of course is not really a problem- and if- well a rather very very luxurious problem) - that we saw most of the ports of call already. So since a few years- I really don´t care where my ship goes- as long as I am on a ship. LOL.

In some of the Caribbean ports I don´t even bother to go a shore- and if.- just to  have a little walk around. Those " beach brakes" are the worst- rather book a day pass at a nice resort on the Islands- than being carted to another overcroded beach - sometimes a little nickel and dime attached- since mostly chairs are not included in the price... !

• Like 2

Please send the QA down to Oz and Asia,
and please let us have back the QE in the UK so we can sail on her again from SOU and in the Med...
Loved the QE summer Med Fly/Cruises...

I agree the cruises offered on QA are mostly pretty bland, and of course sadly we are running out of destinations due to conflicts, hoo hahs, and increasing security concerns.

Cunard have stayed away from much of the Eastern Med and the smaller Greek Islands, Istanbul and Kusadasi, Malta, and we do not not have many GIB calls. I do like a GIB call.
Tangier and Casablanca I guess fit the ''areas of concern'' for a large UK Vessel.

What to do? 
Rose is displeased....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I would say we seasoned cruises have all the same " problem" ( which of course is not really a problem- and if- well a rather very very luxurious problem) - that we saw most of the ports of call already. So since a few years- I really don´t care where my ship goes- as long as I am on a ship. LOL.

In some of the Caribbean ports I don´t even bother to go a shore- and if.- just to  have a little walk around. Those " beach brakes" are the worst- rather book a day pass at a nice resort on the Islands- than being carted to another overcroded beach - sometimes a little nickel and dime attached- since mostly chairs are not included in the price... !

I agree Just pleased to find sailings ex Southampton with dates and prices that suit. Lots track of the times been to La Corunna. 

• Like 1

So we wait patiently for the first pictures - real ones- not renderings - from the Cunard Queen- also the godmother is still not named. In keeping with tradition I pretty sure it is a member of the Royal Family - The Princess Royal would suit I guess.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 10:21 PM, 2BACRUISER said:

On 2/17/2024 at 1:30 AM, NE John said:

Unfortunately the Black Sea, Red Sea, St. Petersburg, parts of Norway, and some other traditional cruise routes are out action for now.

I wish I could think of new itineraries. 

And that fellow cruisers hits the nail right on the head: and hence the reason my wife and I have drifted from Cunard - lack of new itineraries and more of the same old same.

A recent switch to Azamara gave us an experience of three new ports on one cruise: all of which were excellent choices and either of which would be not too difficult for a Mediterranean based Cunard ship. 

But of course we shall give Queen Anne more than one try. We would certainly  require a second cruise onboard to check out whether the Cunard onboard ethos was to our entire satisfaction.

Maidens are always a  good experience, blending the new with the exciting, and offering the opportunity to meet up with old friends who no doubt will be onboard in abundance. 

@NE John , for your information the three new ports of call I mentioned earlier were Thessaloniki, Kavala and Cannakale. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2024 at 2:03 AM, Germancruiser said:

So we wait patiently for the first pictures - real ones- not renderings - from the Cunard Queen- also the godmother is still not named. In keeping with tradition I pretty sure it is a member of the Royal Family - The Princess Royal would suit I guess.

Or our new Queen?

• Like 1

Hmmm.  That's a toughie: Queen Camilla vs Princess Anne. It's a partial "hit" (or miss) with either choice.  Much as I am more of a fan of the Princess Royal, a Cunarder does warrant a Queen imo.  As long as whoever christens her is a member of the royal family, I am good.  

It's moments like these I really miss QEII.    

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Or our new Queen?

A view from across the pond…Seriously, would this create a bad look for Queen Camilla leaving the King during his cancer illness to christen QA? It seems that Princess Anne has the right name and is a healthy enough Royal to do this job. The Princess of Wales would have been a great Godmother for QA as Cunard is marketing this ship towards future passengers of her age. 

Best wishes to Charles in any case. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NE John said:

A view from across the pond…Seriously, would this create a bad look for Queen Camilla leaving the King during his cancer illness to christen QA? It seems that Princess Anne has the right name and is a healthy enough Royal to do this job. The Princess of Wales would have been a great Godmother for QA as Cunard is marketing this ship towards future passengers of her age. 

Best wishes to Charles in any case. 

Camilla is still carrying out her duties so I don't see her leaving Charles for a day's outing. to be an issue.

Catherine, PoW is returning to public life after Easter so she's a contender too. The Princess Royal would fit and the Duchess of Edinburgh would also be a contender in my book.

Four lovely royals to choose from.

• Like 7

I don’t mind either of the 4 current working Royal Ladies. I have a soft spot for Princess Anne. Many moons ago Princess Anne presented me with my degree. I had an aisle seat and I can still remember smelling her wonderful perfume as she walked by in the procession to the stage at the Royal Albert Hall. 

• Like 2

Good grief.... I think I'd rather a PANNONIA or SERVIA.

I admit I am not sure just why the British Royal Family, depleted as it is, would be rocking up to christen a cruise ship built in Italy, owned by an American conglomorate, registered in Bermuda, with a Danish captain and at best, 100 British subjects among her crew.  Surely they have better things to do?  

Surely....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3