Will be QA become a favorit of Cunard fans?

Germancruiser

Well tradition is tradition- but well put Wanted. But still I think they will keep their godmothers in the Royal Family of Britain, a tradition started in the 1930´s with the Queen Mary christening the Original and legendary first RMS Queen Mary.

Possibly... but come on, times have changed: QUEEN MARY was 100 per cent British, Built in Scotland, financed by the British Government (Neville Chamberlain as Chancellor did that), registered in Liverpool and... an undoubted Ship of State.  No ship was more worthy of that even if Queen Mary thought her interiors were horrid (!).  But being 100 per cent German, she had better taste than most, no?

• Like 2

One does wonder how much of a "consideration" (maybe in the form of a charitable donation?) that Cunard/Carnival has to pay for royal participation in the christening -- or is it all brought to us by the British taxpayer?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Good grief.... I think I'd rather a PANNONIA or SERVIA.

I admit I am not sure just why the British Royal Family, depleted as it is, would be rocking up to christen a cruise ship built in Italy, owned by an American conglomorate, registered in Bermuda, with a Danish captain and at best, 100 British subjects among her crew.  Surely they have better things to do?  

Surely....

The Royal Family isn't depleted [unless you're referring to the two HRHs who are recovering/receiving treatment]. Most sensibly and with, I would have thought, massive approval over here, the family has downsized to what can be termed 'balcony members' eg working royals and their children in the case of The Edinburghs.

With reference  to naming ships, it's part of what they do and I sincerely hope, one of them rocks up to Liverpool in June, for a bit of a do! 🙂

• Like 8

12 hours ago, NE John said:

A view from across the pond…Seriously, would this create a bad look for Queen Camilla leaving the King during his cancer illness to christen QA? It seems that Princess Anne has the right name and is a healthy enough Royal to do this job. The Princess of Wales would have been a great Godmother for QA as Cunard is marketing this ship towards future passengers of her age. 

Best wishes to Charles in any case. 

On the contrary @NE John , it's what our Royals are all about, 'Service and Duty'.

We see Queen Camilla on our television news channels almost every day attending some opening or another.

With the exception of course of our recent export across to your fair land. 😉😈

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

One does wonder how much of a "consideration" (maybe in the form of a charitable donation?) that Cunard/Carnival has to pay for royal participation in the christening -- or is it all brought to us by the British taxpayer?  

Whatever, the price is worth paying.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

On the contrary @NE John , it's what our Royals are all about, 'Service and Duty'.

We see Queen Camilla on our television news channels almost every day attending some opening or another.

With the exception of course of our recent export across to your fair land. 😉😈

Thats good to hear. I was thinking how the notorious British tabloids would negatively show the Queen celebrating a ship christening next to a picture of an ailing King. “Queen Parties while King Ails!” I appreciate when the Royals (and public servants here too) do practice their obligations of Service and Duty.

With the drama centered around our “import” and so many watching The Crown, etc, we are probably more obsessed with the Royals here than you over there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NE John said:

Thats good to hear. I was thinking how the notorious British tabloids would negatively show the Queen celebrating a ship christening next to a picture of an ailing King. “Queen Parties while King Ails!” I appreciate when the Royals (and public servants here too) do practice their obligations of Service and Duty.

With the drama centered around our “import” and so many watching The Crown, etc, we are probably more obsessed with the Royals here than you over there!

British tabloids are generally only negative towards the odd one that carries a massive piece of King Edward potato about on their shoulder. There are very few republican tabloids in the UK, and any US perspective of UK tabloids is probably influenced by a very twisted view of events pedalled by one couple.

• Like 7

On 2/16/2024 at 10:21 PM, 2BACRUISER said:

We fancied trying QA but all her voyages are pretty bleugh. Wish cunard could come up with some new itineraries for her  been to most of her ports of call got the badge the rash and the t-shirt lol 😆 now looking at QV in med but again ports of call are same old same old 🤷‍♀️🙄 doesn't inspire. 😕🤔🤔

The world cruise not good enough then? 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swjumbo said:

The world cruise not good enough then? 😄

Unfortunately not suitably aged to be idle for that length of time afraid ye olde rat race still rules our lives lol 😆 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

😜

1 hour ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Unfortunately not suitably aged to be idle for that length of time afraid ye olde rat race still rules our lives lol 😆 

As you’re from Yorkshire nowhere else comes close I suppose! lol 

Edited by swjumbo
  • Haha 1

If no member of the actual Royal Family is available for the naming, they could always get creative and ask Olivia Colman, who won an Oscar for playing Queen Anne.  She, at least, is acting royalty!

• Haha 1

Solent Richard- you really made me smile- no laugh- and I agree - completley. Esp. your mentioning of " those exports" to the fair land across the Ocean.

A Royal at a Cunarders christening certainly causes more press coverage than any other godmother would. As long as they do " reimport" some US- Royals. LOL.

If all fails they could always ask Imelda Staunton to help out- for her superb acting as the aging Queen Elisabeth II.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 10:07 PM, WantedOnVoyage said:

Good grief.... I think I'd rather a PANNONIA or SERVIA.

I admit I am not sure just why the British Royal Family, depleted as it is, would be rocking up to christen a cruise ship built in Italy, owned by an American conglomorate, registered in Bermuda, with a Danish captain and at best, 100 British subjects among her crew.  Surely they have better things to do?  

Surely....

You forgot also that the line itself was created by a Canadian…but at least in Cunard’s day, Canada was still a Dominion of the Empire. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NE John said:

You forgot also that the line itself was created by a Canadian…but at least in Cunard’s day, Canada was still a Dominion of the Empire. 

Cunard founded 1840, Canada became Dominion 1867.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Cunard founded 1840, Canada became Dominion 1867.

Thank you teacher. Canada confuses me! I do look forward to being in Vancouver for Canada Day this year after disembarking QE. 

• Like 1

Me, I like that the Cunards were originally English but as Quakers, forced to flee to Germany in the 1600s so Samuel was as German as English in background if not blood. They settled in the British North American colonies in the mid 1600s along with so many other Germans.   Like so many Loyalists, they fled to Canada during the Revolution and the influx is what created Halifax as a major city and port.  It was a counter to Boston as such. 

Samuel Cunard would have "identified" as being British as did most Canadians back then. 

Seems like there was lots of "diversity" even back then, what?

• Like 2