Waves Grill Changed to Table Service Only?

harryw

1 hour ago, harryw said:

1. know if this is going to change permanently fleet wide?

Yep.  No later than my cruise last March.   😉

AIUI, it's always been what's called "runner service" rather than "table service" = you place your order at the counter, find a seat, and a "runner" brings your meal to you when it's ready.

PS: That seat can even be in Terrace Grill.

Edited by Snaefell3
  • Like 3

We are on Vista b2b the Jan31 to February 11 no table service in waves. Now table service February 11 to 18th.  Also time changed for specialty restaurant 6pm to 9pm

Edited by Acrusa
  • Like 3

It sounds like “Change Happens” as on vista in May and October Specialty dining opened at 6:00, testing earlier times and maybe it changes due to Needs of the Executive Chef, staffing and decisions by the Food and Beverage Director and GM, whatever but bottom line, our service was always great and our meals EXCELLENT. 

As for Waves, we always walk up, place an order and tell them where to deliver our meals, be it in the Waves seating areas or in the Terrace Cafe. We find our seats first and then decide whether a Waves or TC or a combination of items for our meal is desired. Decisions, Decisions. 
Just enjoy your O cruise

Mauibabes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

It sounds like “Change Happens” as on vista in May and October Specialty dining opened at 6:00, testing earlier times…

Perhaps, perhaps not.  Specialty dining on O normally opens at 6pm on short, fully booked cruises to allow more slots to meet the "everybody gets a slot" guarantee. 

Were these longer/less full cruises or cruises that normally get 6pm slots?

Could care less - we were amazed how they found us so quickly!

We really liked the number system for the table and the more controlled servings at the Terrace Cafe.

On the topic of Waves - the food was really, really good there.

That Wagyu surf & turf burger is outstanding and delivered exactly as ordered twice.

Also the Reuben was delish!

• Like 1

May was 7 days, October was 16. It seemed like the 6:00 was specific to Vista but I still have friends on various cruises and 6:30 seems to be the normal dining room start time. Next cruise is November on Riviera so we will see what changes are in place. We prefer early dining times, 6-7 so we are easy to please and normally do not run into scheduling issues but if we do, the GDR or TC are wonderful options.  DW needs her fix of Jacques Chicken in the GDR at least once a week ❤️.  
Just enjoy.

Mauibabes

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

PS: That seat can even be in Terrace Grill.

Good PS. I know my husband got a 'special'  burger while we ate lunch on the deck of the TC. 

22 hours ago, Acrusa said:

it seems the 7 day cruises are 6 pm as opposed to longer cruises at 6:30m for specialty restaurant 

100 % true. This gets repeated over, and over, and over again. I don’t understand why it’s so hard to grasp.

Regular opening hours for the Specialties and other dining venues is 6:30.

On 7 day cruises, where everyone is guaranteed a reservation in each Specialty, if the ship is full, they often do 6:00 reservations so to accommodate all the guarantees. 

Not a difficult concept. However, if one is on a 17 day Grand Voyage ( called B2B by some) consisting of ( for example) a 7 day segment and a 10 day segment , they may see different opening hours during their GV, but consistent for each segment.

What part of this needs further explanation? If on a 10 or 10+ day voyage or segment, opening hours are 6:30.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

What part of this needs further explanation? If on a 10 or 10+ day voyage or segment, opening hours are 6:30.

So are you assuming that the majority of people here are frequent travelers on O? And, hey, maybe they have some really important things on their minds. 

Table service at Waves should be better than waiting in line. We were on Vista in January.  Waves was often crowded. People standing in line, people walking through to the pool, and too many tables on the deck passage area made Waves often very congested.  If you sat at tables next to the passageway , people often bumped into your table.  If Waves put tables out further onto the pool deck like Roviera/Marina, they could widen the passageway.  On the opposite side of the deck, Aquamar  has table service.  Never saw people crowding to get in or through.  The passage way through Aquamar was wide.  It was a better choice going to the pool deck.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Table service at Waves should be better than waiting in line. We were on Vista in January.  Waves was often crowded. People standing in line, people walking through to the pool, and too many tables on the deck passage area made Waves often very congested.  If you sat at tables next to the passageway , people often bumped into your table.  If Waves put tables out further onto the pool deck like Roviera/Marina, they could widen the passageway.  On the opposite side of the deck, Aquamar  has table service.  Never saw people crowding to get in or through.  The passage way through Aquamar was wide.  It was a better choice going to the pool deck.  

Good point about Aquamar. Close to Waves but 2 different worlds / dining experiences.

Aquamar more tranquil and less bustle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IME nothing has changed. We just left Vista on Feb11. Waves has taken your table number and delivered sandwiches for quite a while. Same as we experienced on Vista when we were on her in 2023.Still line up for salad and breakfast items except ready made omlettes.  6p.m. Specialty dining has been the case for many years for 7 night and shorter cruises.

Edited by edgee
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, edgee said:

IME nothing has changed. We just left Vista on Feb11. Waves has taken your table number and delivered sandwiches for quite a while. Same as we experienced on Vista when we were on her in 2023.Still line up for salad and breakfast items except ready made omlettes.  6p.m. Specialty dining has been the case for many years for 7 night and shorter cruises.

I'm posting this from Marina, you are correct.  NOTHING has changed about the service on Marina.   I won't comment on Vista because I don't know, and I wish others would stop repeating things they don't have firsthand knowledge of.

I don't know if people are just repeating incorrect "info" they've heard third hand or are just making stuff up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

I'm posting this from Marina, you are correct.  NOTHING has changed about the service on Marina.   I won't comment on Vista because I don't know, and I wish others would stop repeating things they don't have firsthand knowledge of.

I don't know if people are just repeating incorrect "info" they've heard third hand or are just making stuff up.

Yes, well I am providing first hand information regarding Waves from two recent cruises on Vista and a discussion with a very good source, Vista GM, Dominique, who will be leaving Vista in a few months to prepare for opening Allura.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shepherd really said:

I love FB BUT I do not like...no, I despise, ...people who share things without fact checking. Period.

7 minutes ago, clo said:

I love FB BUT I do not like...no, I despise, ...people who share things without fact checking. Period.

Please have some mercy for folks who do fact-check and miss what's in front of their eyes.  ::raises hand::

• Haha 1