Saint Greg's Carnival Spirit 8-Day Bahamas - LIVE - February 17, 2024

Wow! The USS Alabama tour was unexpected lagniappe.

Brings back memories of when I was one of the chaperones when one of my son's scout troops spent the night on the Alabama. Wandering that ship alone at night you unexpectedly feel transported back in time with the areas set up to look like folks have just left for a few minutes and would be back soon. Not sure one gets the same impact walking along with others during the day, but it was one of the more interesting experiences in my life.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Ding ding ding!!  Great word!!  I've never heard of it but I'm going to find a way today to use it.  Maybe on DH😉

Go to Louisiana and you see it used frequently.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, icft said:

Brings back memories of when I was one of the chaperones when one of my son's scout troops spent the night on the Alabama. Wandering that ship alone at night you unexpectedly feel transported back in time with the areas set up to look like folks have just left for a few minutes and would be back soon. Not sure one gets the same impact walking along with others during the day, but it was one of the more interesting experiences in my life.

I guess that’s a regular deal. There were a couple doors in there that were “for overnight guests only” and “for scouts only.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icft said:

Kudos to you for using the word wandering correctly. So often I see the word wondering written here instead.

• Like 1

I guess I didn’t post mail hold updates after these last two cruises. On Jubilee I had a near perfect mail hold. One piece of junk mail delivered while I was gone. The rest delivered when I got back. I selected the pick up my own mail option, but this is about as good as it gets.

For Spirit they didn’t hold anything.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I guess I didn’t post mail hold updates after these last two cruises. On Jubilee I had a near perfect mail hold. One piece of junk mail delivered while I was gone. The rest delivered when I got back. I selected the pick up my own mail option, but this is about as good as it gets.

I think it depends a lot on who your mail person is...

Screenshot2024-02-26152108.png.aef31b5f7cbbbe6a69dc48068052939d.png

Thanks for another great cruise review! The USS Alabama content was a nice bonus also! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

3 days before we left for our cruise on the Mardi Gras I was leaving out the house the run errands when out mail lady pulled up and yelled "Yall got a mail hold, huh?" Mind you several of my neighbors were outside and heard. I quietly confirmed that yes we had a 2 week hold. (We took a road trip to Savannah after the cruise.) We left the next day and she started delivering mail 6 days later. 🙄 It was also set for pickup. Next cruise I'm just having my friend come get my mail.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

3 days before we left for our cruise on the Mardi Gras I was leaving out the house the run errands when out mail lady pulled up and yelled "Yall got a mail hold, huh?" Mind you several of my neighbors were outside and heard. I quietly confirmed that yes we had a 2 week hold. (We took a road trip to Savannah after the cruise.) We left the next day and she started delivering mail 6 days later. 🙄 It was also set for pickup. Next cruise I'm just having my friend come get my mail.

Yep! About half the time our hold mail requests are ignored. Combine that with our getting other neighbor's mail regularly and neighbors getting our mail regularly and it not being safe to put mail in the blue mailboxes (because they won't change the locks when keys are stolen) and the postal service is totally broken.

The post office needs to be eliminated. Unfortunately that takes a constitutional amendment.

• Like 5

Thanks Greg, for another great review. As a person who grew up next to as former AFB in Plattsburgh NY, it was great seeing some of the planes of my childhood. And as a former History teacher before 9/11, I thank you for the trip down memory lane with the naval ships and aircraft. Can't wait until your next review. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DandytheCop said:

Thanks Greg, for another great review. As a person who grew up next to as former AFB in Plattsburgh NY, it was great seeing some of the planes of my childhood. And as a former History teacher before 9/11, I thank you for the trip down memory lane with the naval ships and aircraft. Can't wait until your next review. 

One of the other alchemy regulars was a weapons systems officer on three platforms including the one I mostly worked with. And I deployed to a base that he had bombed a decade earlier…so there were some interesting conversations at the alchemy last week.

• Like 12