Fine Cut on Ascent, Is it worth it?

lv2cruisgrl

We have done Fine Cut on Beyond and Apex.  Had two totally different experiences.  Apex was excellent in everyway.  Beyond not so much,  2 out of 4 steaks had to go back. Has anyone dined in Fine Cut on Ascent? I found a few reviews and most were negative. 

Edited by lv2cruisgrl

• lv2cruisgrl changed the title to Fine Cut on Ascent, Is it worth it?

We didn’t think so. In fact, we enjoyed the Rooftop Garden Grill much better and their menu also offers steak. 

it was a one and done for us. 
Edit to say: service was fine, food was just average. DH felt he could make a better steak at home. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

We have done Fine Cut on Beyond and Apex.  Had two totally different experiences.  Apex was excellent in everyway.  Beyond not so much,  2 out of 4 steaks had to go back. Has anyone dined in Fine Cut on Ascent? I found a few reviews and most were negative. 

I do not think it is worth it. I had the dry aged ribeye and my wife the bone in filet - both extra charge items - and not close to Texas Roadhouse quality let alone Ruth Chris/Mortons to name a few US chain steakhouses. Eden served a superior meal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, billc23 said:

I do not think it is worth it. I had the dry aged ribeye and my wife the bone in filet - both extra charge items - and not close to Texas Roadhouse quality let alone Ruth Chris/Mortons to name a few US chain steakhouses. Eden served a superior meal.

Food mediocre at best compared to fine land steakhouses.  However we really enjoyed Eden. Went their their three times on a b/2/b Apex cruise.  Found the Rooftop grill on the Apex disappointing.  First, service poor to fair- the restaurant becomes a walk way for people on the deck as it isn't enclosed.  They should enclose it like the lawn grill of the Silhouette and reflection.  However, when on a new ship, we like to try all speciality restaurants at least once- except Sushi as we don't it .

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

Apex was excellent in everyway. Beyond not so much

And on the flip side, Fine Cut was substandard on our Apex trip, while I have a friend who just reported that Fine Cut was excellent on Beyond.

As they say in investing, past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

• Like 4

We have dined at Fine Cut on Edge and Beyond and liked both. We will be on Ascent next January and will try it there  also.

BUT I only do the specialty restaurants with the pre cruise discount package.

Celebrity has raised the price (and Tips) on their specialty dining to the point that paying full price is no longer worth it.

Edited by D. B.
added content.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

And on the flip side, Fine Cut was substandard on our Apex trip, while I have a friend who just reported that Fine Cut was excellent on Beyond.

As they say in investing, past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Our experience at Fine Cut on the Apex last July was the same. I didn't care for the Ribeye,it had no flavor whatsoever, and the side dishes were just OK, nothing different than the MDRs. Same with the service, nothing wrong, but it was no better than the MDR. 

Edited by kwokpot

Just got off the Edge. We had 2 bookings at Eden and 2 bookings at fine cuts. After the first Eden meal we canceled the 2nd Eden booking and instead ate 3 times at Fine Cuts. 

Our Eden meal was very substandard. DW lobster was tough and chewy. My filet was overcooked. Sent it back and it was still overcooked. The service was great. Too bad the food didn't match the service. 

I had the ribeye and the bone-in filet at Fine Cuts. They were cooked perfectly. The service was on par with Eden. And yes.... the noise comes up from the Atrium. Make sure you get a table by the windows or on the far side of a partition which really cuts down on the outside noise. 

With all this said... I agree with others who stated Fine Cuts (and Eden for that matter) is overpriced for what you get. I always book during the 40% off events that Celebrity frequently have during the year. It makes the reservation more "on par" with non-cruise restaurants and steak houses. Doubt I would ever pay full price. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

opinions vary..

we went nite 1 on Ascent.. great food and service!  I had Prime Rib..husb had steak..

Yes, opinions vary and are usually based on what one is used to and brand loyalty. Someone from a city with a great restaurant scene usually may not find the food on a cruise that special. If your baseline for beef are the New York/Chicago streak houses how can a cruise line compare? Where I live - Maine/NH seacoast - lobsters are kept in the cold ocean water until plucked out for cooking in real time. How can the cruise ship lobster possibly compare? 

Separate from that, the specific cooks on the ship make a difference too. For example, the crab cake at Eden is pretty consistent while the cooking of the beef is more variable, as is the seasoning of the food. Some cooks add more salt, some less salt and the right amount is one's opinion. You just do not know what you will receive on any future sailing.

Consistency is key to quality and customer satisfaction. From my experience, Celebrity lacks consistency and that seems to be reflected in the many varying reviews on CC.

• Like 2

We found Fine Cuts to be poor in quality and service. As far as steakhouses are concened Chops on Royal ships far exceeds Fine Cuts.  The noise coming from the Martini Bar area is also a big turn off, you can't hear your partner talk when the music/live or DJ are performing.  Not a pleasant experience try the Rooftop Grill instead.  Better food, better services, fun evening.  

• Like 1

On our cruise on the Ascent this past January, our experience in Fine Cut was excellent. Service and food were excellent. Prime rib and lamb chops cooked to perfection and very tasty. All the sides were excellent. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

DH felt he could make a better steak at home. 

Totally agree. I'd never order a steak on a cruise ship. Can't beat what we make on our BBQ or what I get from my favorite steakhouse on land.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.   We have Fine Cut booked, will report back once we sail. If it's not worth it we will not book again on any ships.  We love Eden, and have dined there multiple times and will just stick with that.

We sailed on the Ascent in January and as we always do, purchased the 3 specialty dining package.  The experience at Fine Cuts was only okay, in our opinion.  We thought Eden was fantastic & also enjoyed dining at Le Voyage.  

Agree with EDEN being great..Rooftop was ok but not  top not  notch...We had great service, nice weather and very good food..but it's  just not EDEN or Fine cut..  Also loved Raw on 5!

1 hour ago, bothluv2cruise said:

We sailed on the Ascent in January and as we always do, purchased the 3 specialty dining package.  The experience at Fine Cuts was only okay, in our opinion.  We thought Eden was fantastic & also enjoyed dining at Le Voyage.  

Hi guys, I'm new to Celebrity cruises. Been lots of times with Royal. 

How do you do reservations after booking 3 specialty dining package? 

9 minutes ago, VLAD2727 said:

Hi guys, I'm new to Celebrity cruises. Been lots of times with Royal. 

How do you do reservations after booking 3 specialty dining package? 

Once you get on the ship or while at the terminal on the app.

9 minutes ago, VLAD2727 said:

Thanks. So you can do it yourself? 

Don't need to visit specific restaurants? 

Go to one of the specialty restaurants first thing when you board or do it on the app while at the terminal or on the ship.

• 2 months later...
On 2/18/2024 at 10:09 AM, NMTraveller said:

Go to one of the specialty restaurants first thing when you board or do it on the app while at the terminal or on the ship.

How do you make reservations in the app with the specialty dining package (assuming I try when on the ship wifi)?