Here we go again... LIVE from Beyond, February 19, 2024

mac_tlc

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

If I could find a seat, I could see how warm it is. None to be had. Spa Cafe— full, Mast Grill — full, Retreat deck bar —- full. 

Headed back to room where I knew there were a couple empty chairs..

mac_tlc

I looked at your cruise history and you took Apex in 1/22, and now Beyond.  I just did the math on Apex vs Beyond and the Beyond tonnage is 8.5% greater than Apex, but the pax load is 32% greater.  Are the guest spaces a lot bigger on Beyond or is just that there are 939 more pax?  I haven't been on either one, so I'm asking.  I always opt for Silhouette over Reflection because of the added passenger load.  Am I better off booking Apex than Beyond/Ascent?  Since you've done/are doing both, I'm genuinely interested in your take.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Tyler414 said:

It looks like other ships are anchored, If you turned around for a medical emergency, and other ships are there, why not stay? 

Captain Kate explained the situation very well. The two ships are anchored at Spot Bay. There are only two anchorage spots there and they are for smaller ships. Also they can only handle one tender at a time.

Beyond is too big to anchor there with too many guests. It would take forever to get people off and on.

mac_tlc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, goofysmom99 said:

I looked at your cruise history and you took Apex in 1/22, and now Beyond.  I just did the math on Apex vs Beyond and the Beyond tonnage is 8.5% greater than Apex, but the pax load is 32% greater.  Are the guest spaces a lot bigger on Beyond or is just that there are 939 more pax?  I haven't been on either one, so I'm asking.  I always opt for Silhouette over Reflection because of the added passenger load.  Am I better off booking Apex than Beyond/Ascent?  Since you've done/are doing both, I'm genuinely interested in your take.  Thanks.

We have done all of the E-class ships. This is the first time in 9 cruises over 4 ships that it felt crowded everywhere.  This is our third time on Beyond.

I think it’s a combination of it now being a sea day instead of a port day and perhaps the daily activities are not as robust as a planned sea day since they had to assemble the schedule last minute.

mac_tlc

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, luv2cruisemore said:

I’ve read several posts from AQ Blu guests complaining about long waits for dinner in Blu due to Suite guests dining there. We’ll be in Blu 3/11 and will not be happy if Suite guests are allowed in Blu and delaying our meals. Maybe they should allow AQ guests to dine in Luminae since so many Suite guests don’t “love” Luminae!

Well, I have heard of Aqua folks who don’t “love” Blu. Hope they don’t impact others the MDR or take a spot at a specialty restaurant that someone else really wanted. 

I’m always curious how people know so much about their fellow passengers. How did those AQ folks know that suite guests were the problem???

Can’t we all just get along?

mac_tlc

• Like 24

2 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Nice!  We are frequent Aqua.  We were in a Retreat cabin once, and it didn't cross my mind to go to Blu.

We were in RETREAT..on BEYON last yr.

Luminae was a struggle on our cruise so we went to BLU and a few Specialty Spots,  BLU was a godsend!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

@mac_tlc, if you don’t mind, what is the status of butlers on the Beyond for Sky Suites on your cruise?

Supposedly, it is still the Retreat Team approach. We have not seen or heard from our Head Butler. 

IMO and experience (twice now in two months), it is an attempt at cost cutting that has failed miserably. Can’t wait to see how LBH addresses it in the upcoming Q&A webinar.

Dedicates butlers are supposedly appearing in early March. 

mac_tlc

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

We have done all of the E-class ships. This is the first time in 9 cruises over 4 ships that it felt crowded everywhere.  This is our third time on Beyond.

I think it’s a combination of it now being a sea day instead of a port day and perhaps the daily activities are not as robust as a planned sea day since they had to assemble the schedule last minute.

mac_tlc

I'm considering E-class (maybe a suite) for a TA, meaning lots and lots of sea days.  I'm leaning toward Apex with its fewer suites and where Luminae sounds like it's a bit more special.   

27 minutes ago, luv2cruisemore said:

I’ve read several posts from AQ Blu guests complaining about long waits for dinner in Blu due to Suite guests dining there. We’ll be in Blu 3/11 and will not be happy if Suite guests are allowed in Blu and delaying our meals. Maybe they should allow AQ guests to dine in Luminae since so many Suite guests don’t “love” Luminae!

if they improve Luminae..fewer would do Blu

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, goofysmom99 said:

I'm considering E-class (maybe a suite) for a TA, meaning lots and lots of sea days.  I'm leaning toward Apex with its fewer suites and where Luminae sounds like it's a bit more special.   

Luminae on Edge/Apex is smaller than on Beyond/Ascent and in our opinion, and others that post on CC, it is much noisier due to the proximity of the waiter stations and kitchen to the dining area. We prefer Luminae on Beyond/Ascent. The Retreat sun deck is two levels on Beyond/Ascent and one level on Edge/Apex. But there are more suites so maybe that equals

out. 

We like E-class and would do any of them.

mac_tlc

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

All is now right with the world…. We have met our head butler. He knocked on the door this afternoon. 

mac_tlc

I hope you greeted him with an enthusiastic "We've been waiting for you!"  While the butler is no doubt in an odd role given the number of suites and just a perpetual greeter, that you now have only just met makes the firing of the butlers all the more idiotic.  

Edited by Cap_D

2 hours ago, hcat said:

We were in RETREAT..on BEYON last yr.

Luminae was a struggle on our cruise so we went to BLU and a few Specialty Spots,  BLU was a godsend!

We missed “make your own muesli” at breakfast in Blu - it was so special: a cart delivered to your table full of ingredients and fresh fruit to make it.  It was available on our first Aqua cruise around 2016, and then it disappeared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cap_D said:

I hope you greeted him with an enthusiastic "We've been waiting for you!"  While the butler is no doubt in an odd role given the number of suites and just a perpetual greeter, that you now have only just met makes the firing of the butlers all the more idiotic.  

I did say I was surprised we haven’t met him yet😜😜

But the 3pm cheese and fruit plate will start tomorrow. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

23 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

We missed “make your own muesli” at breakfast in Blu - it was so special: a cart delivered to your table full of ingredients and fresh fruit to make it.  It was available on our first Aqua cruise around 2016, and then it disappeared.

We miss a lot of things, but mostly the fact that the shoreside experience has gotten worse; that’s hard to believe, but honestly I will not waste anyone’s time explaining what happened to me today, as I finally just gave up, hung up and poured myself a Bourbon and Peaches!   I don’t even drink, but this one makes me feel good and peachy!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Lastdance said:

We miss a lot of things, but mostly the fact that the shoreside experience has gotten worse; that’s hard to believe, but honestly I will not waste anyone’s time explaining what happened to me today, as I finally just gave up, hung up and poured myself a Bourbon and Peaches!  

Sounds like it ended well🥃🥃!

mac_tlc

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Well, I have heard of Aqua folks who don’t “love” Blu. Hope they don’t impact others the MDR or take a spot at a specialty restaurant that someone else really wanted. 

I’m always curious how people know so much about their fellow passengers. How did those AQ folks know that suite guests were the problem???

Can’t we all just get along?

mac_tlc

when we do AQ Class we mix things up for breakfast..BLU, Buffet once ircrwice on early days, E + lite bkfst, or Spa Cafe...   

In AQ Class,  BLU is our primary, but we pre-reserve a few Specialty Restaurants for  dinner variety...Works out well.

This time on ASCENT, we had a lunch in Cosmopolitan..(one of the 4 mdrs),  table take out at the Bistro on 5. and Raw on 5..Anything to avoid the lunch buffet!  Sadly,  the EDEN cafe seemed closed more than usual..

Happily..no weight gain!

36 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

We miss a lot of things, but mostly the fact that the shoreside experience has gotten worse; that’s hard to believe, but honestly I will not waste anyone’s time explaining what happened to me today, as I finally just gave up, hung up and poured myself a Bourbon and Peaches!   I don’t even drink, but this one makes me feel good and peachy!

?   our shoreside expereinces were good including boarding and disembark.....  unless you are referring to a suite related feature??

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

Yes, that was what I loved about Blu.  The breakfasts were really wonderful.  Dinner was OK, but nothing special.  Haven't booked Aqua class since it went away.

Yesterday afternoon was a lazy one. It’s still not too warm/hot outside so strolling around is a pleasure. 

Dinner was at Rooftop Garden Grill. Zero wind. We asked for a table along the side of the restaurant and had this view:

IMG_5714.jpeg

The meal was almost all a hit, except for one dish. I had the pulled pork sliders as an appetizer (hit), my wife had the smoked chicken wings (hit).

IMG_5718.jpeg

IMG_5719.jpeg

We both had the Watermelon and Feta salad. We had it on Ascent last month and it has quickly become one of our favorites.

IMG_5720.jpeg

For our main course, I had the brisket (big hit). Melt on your mouth, fork tender. My wife had the Branzino (miss). Way too fishy for her. She has been spoiled by the Branzino at Eden and since we are no longer going there, she figures she would get it here. 

IMG_5721.jpeg

IMG_5723.jpeg

and then dessert…. My wife has been waiting a month to have ……… wait for it ……… wait for it………..

THE COOKIE 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳

IMG_5508.jpeg

She genuinely seemed offended when I declined a taste . 😂😂.

Oh, and the after photo.

IMG_5725.jpeg

Overall a very good meal and a great view. 

And as an added highlight we met @countess5 and his lovely wife . We had communicated through CC a lot lately since we were in Ascent last month and they just got off on Sunday. Great discussion that I hope to continue later in the cruise!!

It really is a great benefit of these boards —- meeting others from other places and sharing the oceans….

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

One thing we noticed last night was the difference between the brisket on Ascent and on Beyond. More inconsistency.

First picture is from Ascent, second one is form Beyond.

IMG_5505.jpeg

IMG_5721.jpeg
That is one reason why we try to give any restaurant another shot if something is a miss . Needless to say the one last night is the runaway winner.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 4