Here we go again... LIVE from Beyond, February 19, 2024

mac_tlc

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from mac_tlc! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: . . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

mac_tlc was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

OK, by popular demand (OK, it was just one affirmative vote) here we go again.... 11 nights on board the Beyond with Capt. Kate and Bug. 

We actually go to three ports we have never been to -- Aruba, Curacao and Cartegena. Always nice to try something new. 

Sorry to start this review two days before embarkation --- that created a few posts of discussion on my last review. We won't be going to the International Festival of the Arts in Epcot but will be going to the Flower and Garden Festival after the cruise before we head north.

This time we did the drive from Central CT to our house in Orlando. One overnight near Charlotte NC and then onward to Orlando. 

BTW, you have never been to Florida until you have stopped at Buc-ee's in Daytona Beach on race weekend. Wow. 

Usually we would just drive our car down to PE on Monday morning, park in the garage, and then drive it back to Orlando for a few days. However, I lucked out on some great car rental rates so we will leave our car at the house and do two one-way rentals. Total price was less than the parking would have been.

We are in a Sky Suite, in fact after this cruise we will have sailed all the E-class ships in the same numbered SS cabin. I like predictability (not a strong suit of X in the past 12 months or so). 

I'll report on menus, service, crowds, activities, shows, etc. 

Any specific questions, fire away and I'll try to find the answer. 

mac_tlc

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, MartiniBarhooked said:

Looking forward to hearing your feedback from Luminae.   We board on March 11 have been looking at the Luminae menus and not impressed by what we see but maybe its just the description that is throwing us.

We have had these Luminae menus a bunch of times in the past 2 1/2 years. My wife is less enamored with them than I am. She often finds herself searching for something she wants. There are a few favorite dishes that I'll mention as we go along. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

@mac_tlc, looking forward to following along as we get off Ascent. 
Luminae - service great , food ok. Have been for breakfast everyday , 1 lunch and  two dinners. Food rather bland and uninspiring but it’s such a subjective thing so others may find it works for them .

Overall Retreat has been great. 

Edited by dock

I will be following....have not been to Cartagena.  Aruba and Curacao will be fun.  We don't cruise in suites but we were in one on BEYOND..before the changes. disliked Luminae..

Bon Voyage!

Edited by hcat

Following along!  We will be on Beyond March 11th for same cruise (I think).  We have not been on Beyond but have been on Equinox 8 times in Retreat.    I’m just a bit worried as I have a gluten intolerance and order off MDR about half the time and know I can’t do that on Beyond.  I’m assuming I can chose to eat in a MDR.  

Enjoy your cruise and safe travels!

Following.  Have a great cruise! 😃   (and btw, no apologies for starting your review prior to embarkation!  Many of us enjoy the "lead up" to a cruise and can gain some great tidbits from fellow CC'ers about good restaurants, hotels etc. in the embarkation city)

Edited by Reel Love
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have been looking at some 6 and 8 night itins on the Beyond for later this year....though I think we will forego the suite in favor of a PV or SV stateroom instead.  We were more impressed with the 4 MDR's on Ascent than with Luminae and I think this sealed our conviction that we could do without the suite life....which isn't to say we won't book another suite if the price is right 😊.

Will be following your review with great interest!  Safe travels!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, countess5 said:

Hi Mac!

just off Ascent this morning, boarding with you tomorrow for our B2B with English friends. 
Hope to be able to say hi!

Cheers! 

Hope we meet you at some point. We will probably be in the Retreat Lounge before sailaway.

mac_tlc

18 minutes ago, Irishredhead21 said:

So excited that you and DW are off on what is sure to be another fabulous adventure!! Can’t wait to follow along!! Bon Voyage!! 

Thanks so much. Wish you were along for the journey!

mac_tlc

• Like 1

It has been raining all weekend, as evidence by the delay of the Daytona 500 until Monday afternoon. 

Today is packing and car rental pick up day. We plan on utilizing our laundry perk as much as possible to minimize the packing. We should be able to get by with one large suitcase, cosmetic case, and one smaller carry on size, plus my backpack for the non-porter stuff.

mac_tlc

• Like 2

Mac we are on Beyond now, today is our last day but please ask to sit in the back of luminae with Aaron as your waiter! He is a wonderful gentleman and will take great care of you. Tell him Big Dave and Jen say hello! 
You will have a wonderful trip, Captain Kate is awesome as usual, seas have been good and the service is tremendous! Wish we could stay another 11 days but will be following along!

Safe travels! 

• Like 1

Hope weather clears. It.has been raining in Venice Fl   since last night.

Golf tourneys shortened, then cancelled...Fl State Fair opening delayed and Daytoma 500 postponed as u mentioned.

looks like rain shpuld taper off by  tonight!    Safe Travels!