Quality of Cellphone Service - Verizon??

harlowinct

This is our first time on MSC Seashore.  How is the cellphone service?  I don't intend to purchase internet connectivity, just use my Verizon cellphone service that I usually use when traveling.  We have international service for $10 per day.  Can I do this??

3 minutes ago, harlowinct said:

This is our first time on MSC Seashore.  How is the cellphone service?  I don't intend to purchase internet connectivity, just use my Verizon cellphone service that I usually use when traveling.  We have international service for $10 per day.  Can I do this??

That will work when you are inport but when at sea your Verizon will not cover cellphone service on the ship.  There are very high fees for using your cellphone connected to the ships cellphone service. 

We use WiFi calling and do not incur any fees other than what we pay for regular WiFi plan on the ship.

39 minutes ago, harlowinct said:

I don't intend to purchase internet connectivity, just use my Verizon cellphone service that I usually use when traveling.

Don't do this. You will be astonished at the size of your bill when you return from the cruise. Buy a wifi plan and put your phone in airplane mode when you are on the ship.

Hi Langoustine,

Thank you for the suggestion but I have used the Verizon Travel Plan for $10 per day for several years and it has worked out very well for me.  It will be a lot cheaper if I don't purchase an internet plan.  But I appreciate your caution!!

3 hours ago, harlowinct said:

Hi Langoustine,

Thank you for the suggestion but I have used the Verizon Travel Plan for $10 per day for several years and it has worked out very well for me.  It will be a lot cheaper if I don't purchase an internet plan.  But I appreciate your caution!!

Have you done this on a cruise ship before? Many a cruiser has incurred massive bills from their cell phone provider even though they had the international service plans.

10 hours ago, harlowinct said:

When in port only.

5 hours ago, Tierun said:

Have you done this on a cruise ship before? Many a cruiser has incurred massive bills from their cell phone provider even though they had the international service plans.

It's $10 w/ Verizon international plan. Never been charged more.

5 minutes ago, Morecruisesplz said:

Almost 50 cruises and never a problem. No luck needed, but thanks. Do you even have Verizon service and understand the plan?

Yes to both. Good luck. 

Hi Morecruiseplz,

So you have used the Verizon International Plan many times and it has been only $10 per day even at sea?  Is it used only in port if I understand your postings??  So... no use at sea??

I use Verizon. For use at sea for voice, it's pay as you go $1.99/minute. There is a $50 travel pass for use on cruise ships for DATA only, not texts or calls. I try and save my call activity for when I am in port and can use my travel pass days that I have banked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, harlowinct said:

Hi Morecruiseplz,

So you have used the Verizon International Plan many times and it has been only $10 per day even at sea?  Is it used only in port if I understand your postings??  So... no use at sea??

Right. It only connects at ports. No use at sea.

1 hour ago, Morecruisesplz said:

You are confusing 2 different programs. Travel Pass is not the International Plan.

It's the plan OP is referring to in Post #1. You confused everyone with your responses to (seemingly contradicting) @Tierun and @Langoustine upthread inferring that it could be used at sea. That's the point you appeared to be making. Even OP needed clarification. I think we're all on the same page now.

14 minutes ago, RichYak said:

It's the plan OP is referring to in Post #1. You confused everyone with your responses to (seemingly contradicting) @Tierun and @Langoustine upthread inferring that it could be used at sea. That's the point you appeared to be making. Even OP needed clarification. I think we're all on the same page now.

Who is confused? Op said: We have international service for $10 per day.  Can I do this?? 

But you keep posting about "Travel Pass" ... a different program. 

1 minute ago, Morecruisesplz said:

Who is confused? Op said: We have international service for $10 per day.  Can I do this?? 

But you keep posting about "Travel Pass" ... a different program. 

OP also reference "travel plan" in post #4. So there could be some confusion all the way around. With OP now stating thanks for the clarification, I suppose all is well with regards to the question asked. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 10:37 AM, harlowinct said:

IMG_1071.jpeg