Letting kids in the Solarium for a couple of hours-Opinions?

cruisekitty22

This is the only child-free space on the ship and now they've taken that away.  Another stupid and ridiculous change by Celebrity.  There is no time limit enforcement by the staff, so kids arrive early and stay late unsupervised, screaming and running.  

• Like 4

On 2/20/2024 at 3:52 PM, cruisekitty22 said:

Just read celebrity  will let   kids under 16 in  the Solarium  on cold itineraries from 5-7  pm!  Thoughts on this??  To  me, it defeats the purpose of the Solarium! There goes the peace and quiet! 

Surely the bigger question is, who takes children on a celebrity cruise anyway?

There is no excuse to do this.

With so many more children friendly cruiselines around.

Imagine the child's disappointment to find no slides, no mini golf, no children's entertainers etc etc.

Just older people slowly enjoying life at THEIR pace.

Kids must wonder what they have done wrong to be punished in this way.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

This is the only child-free space on the ship and now they've taken that away.  Another stupid and ridiculous change by Celebrity.  There is no time limit enforcement by the staff, so kids arrive early and stay late unsupervised, screaming and running.  

no they have not . This has been a policy for years and is only on cold weathers cruises for 2 hours a day .. ay happy hour when it is mostly vacated. If you noticed it yet you are fine

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DarrenM said:

no mini golf

We are 50 and 47, and have 4 Celebrity cruises now and will be eligible to get our free drinks every night soon enough, but the above has us looking at other options. Also seeing that other lines do Gluten Free potentially as well as Celebrity, including Carnival which shocked me, we are back to being free agents. That said the elite happy hour would be a great perk for us since we like the occasional drink, but never enough to justify a drink package. 

We did sail HAL last year, and it was only ok for us. Ship was awsome, Gluten Free (MDR Great - rest less than ideal), and the main theatre entertainment was awful, only shows we have walked out of. We would sail again depending on the itinerary or a great last minute deal, just not a first choice.

Edited by cgolf1

7 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

Again, this has been going on for a while…why the angst now? 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 2:08 PM, cw2go said:

I just sailed 7 night Apex and would guess it was easily 50% under 50's and more in their 20's than I've ever had on any Celebrity sailing. It was a packed pool deck and dance floor. The vibe was much younger and livelier than the Beyond one year ago to date, same week/same port of departure. 

My observation is that Celebrity is without a doubt reaching their new younger target. 

Patty 

Agreed.  Just off the Ascent.  The demographics have changed a lot!  Even to the point that shows and evening parties/events started about an hour later than they did when we were on Apex just this past November (it was a 13 night TA so older crowd for sure).   

On the Ascent, there were quite a few kids (a school break we didn't know about), which is fine but they were bored!   Even overheard a few kids saying how boring the camp was.   Personally if you want fun with your kids, go RCI.   

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

I've always had the angst. And I reply to posts when the topic comes up. 

Hang on to it proudly…

I don’t sail in cold climates, probably why I have never noticed it..that and the snoring during the day, I’m out.

56 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Hang on to it proudly…

I don’t sail in cold climates, probably why I have never noticed it..that and the snoring during the day, I’m out.

The snoring is just GROSS. Why can't people nap in their cabins when they know they snore?? Just sleep with their mouths wide open in public

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

The snoring is just GROSS. Why can't people nap in their cabins when they know they snore?? Just sleep with their mouths wide open in public

Crowd control. 🤣

7 hours ago, gold1953 said:

and is only on cold weathers cruises

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I don’t sail in cold climates, probably why I have never noticed it.

The Solarium pool was open to children from 4-7pm every day on my San Juan R/T to the ABC's last year on Millennium, which was not at all a cold weather cruise.

• Like 2

our issue on ASCENT was finding a quiet space to sit and read.. a place not taken over by sports, loud CD activites staff,  blaring music, etc

Found a spot in guest rel area and on hallway to EDEN where there was no music speaker!

We liked the ship but hope they can tone it downva bit.. Not everyone likes loud and shouty!

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

our issue on ASCENT was finding a quiet space to sit and read.. a place not taken over by sports, loud CD activites staff,  blaring music, etc

Found a spot in guest rel area and on hallway to EDEN where there was no music speaker!

We liked the ship but hope they can tone it downva bit.. Not everyone likes loud and shouty!

I need my afternoon pool DJ…

I have always found it quiet in the aft inside above the Eden area..I avoid that area. 🙂

19 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I need my afternoon pool DJ…

I have always found it quiet in the aft inside above the Eden area..I avoid that area. 🙂

loud is at outdoor pool all day now.. it used to be quiet in the am til 11. Kids in Solarium would be tame in comparison.. but we were  never there during family time.

EDEN had putting..Club had curling..

Rooftop had Pickle Ball.. very activity oriented !

Luckily we had  our  inf balc..a noise free zone!

We sailed on the Apex the week before Christmas, and at one point I remarked to my husband that Celebrity really does not want little kids on their ships!  Mind you, we are platinum Castaway Club on Disney so we are used to a very kid friendly line, so seeing no pool slide, no pool games, no splash pad, no sports court outside, etc was jarring at first.  (mind you- we loved it)  I can totally see kids being bored.  We had terrible weather on this cruise where there was really once one nice day to use the outdoor pool, and it was pretty crammed with little kids.  They didn't bother us (again, we are used to way worse) but one older lady was not pleased and kept scolding them when their ball landed near her.  LOL.  As for the Solarium, again, bad weather (lots of rain) meant the Solarium pool was filled with kids all day long.  We put in ear buds and read our books, but many were giving them the stink eye. 

52 minutes ago, sunshinegirl89 said:

We sailed on the Apex the week before Christmas, and at one point I remarked to my husband that Celebrity really does not want little kids on their ships!  Mind you, we are platinum Castaway Club on Disney so we are used to a very kid friendly line, so seeing no pool slide, no pool games, no splash pad, no sports court outside, etc was jarring at first.  (mind you- we loved it)  I can totally see kids being bored.  We had terrible weather on this cruise where there was really once one nice day to use the outdoor pool, and it was pretty crammed with little kids.  They didn't bother us (again, we are used to way worse) but one older lady was not pleased and kept scolding them when their ball landed near her.  LOL.  As for the Solarium, again, bad weather (lots of rain) meant the Solarium pool was filled with kids all day long.  We put in ear buds and read our books, but many were giving them the stink eye. 

I don't mind having kids on the ship but I'd be a little annoyed too if I couldn't use the adults only facility that I paid for during the entire cruise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cruising89143 said:

Makes two of us.

Three!  I was in Luminae on the Summit in Dec.  A couple, 50ish, at table next to mine, set-up a small tabletop tripod and mounted their iPhone, facing in my direction.  They proceeded to "interview" the waiter and sommelier, apparently they were vlogging their cruise experience.  As each course was served, from apps to dessert, they discussed a blow by blow, or should I say chew by chew and sip by sip, of the entire meal.  Holding each cut of meat to the camera before placing in their mouth, then chewing and talking while doing so, all to the camera.  Well you get the picture.  I was on a 10 day B2B cruise and got to know the Luminae team quite well.  I asked the maitre'd to please not seat them next to me again or I was going to make a point to call them out in the dining room.  He totally understood but I never did see them again.  I'd much rather have a nice guy in a tie-dyed Grateful Dead t-shirt and shorts as my next door table neighbor and see a few happy kids playing in the solarium pool area, any day of the week!  I may be 64 but I'm not a curmudgeon...yet!

• Like 2

crowded and loud. could not ever use this pool..

..one  Activity staff guy with a microphone needed to take a break!  I'd rather swim with the kids!

20240129_112702.thumb.jpg.2d0e13bc38ee4181150c347a325e537a.jpg

Edited by hcat

2 hours ago, Liao said:

Three!  I was in Luminae on the Summit in Dec.  A couple, 50ish, at table next to mine, set-up a small tabletop tripod and mounted their iPhone, facing in my direction.  They proceeded to "interview" the waiter and sommelier, apparently they were vlogging their cruise experience.  As each course was served, from apps to dessert, they discussed a blow by blow, or should I say chew by chew and sip by sip, of the entire meal.  Holding each cut of meat to the camera before placing in their mouth, then chewing and talking while doing so, all to the camera.  Well you get the picture.  I was on a 10 day B2B cruise and got to know the Luminae team quite well.  I asked the maitre'd to please not seat them next to me again or I was going to make a point to call them out in the dining room.  He totally understood but I never did see them again.  I'd much rather have a nice guy in a tie-dyed Grateful Dead t-shirt and shorts as my next door table neighbor and see a few happy kids playing in the solarium pool area, any day of the week!  I may be 64 but I'm not a curmudgeon...yet!

You chose not to be next to the influencers.  Don’t I have the same right to choose who I want to be next to?  So what if I don’t want to stare at someone’s hairy legs and crappy t shirt for the whole cruise?  

Do what I did....start sailing with Virgin Voyages.  Adults only cruise line and so much fun!  I've done 8 cruises with them since they launched in 2021 and doing 5 cruises with them this year.  I'm leaving Celebrity in the dust after my next cruise in April.  No more kids ever! 🤩