Comparing the two #1 rated, Adult only, cruise lines

WanderingBrit

6 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Viking doesn't do anything to "hide" the gratuities from you---if you are an educated shopper, you learn about who includes tips and who does not quickly.  Land tour companies don't always include tips either.  Nobody puts a gun to your head or makes you walk the plank if you don't want to tip.

While this a hyperbolic truth, it seems Viking is missing an opportunity to add another “no” to their marketing campaign: no gratuities. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

While this a hyperbolic truth, it seems Viking is missing an opportunity to add another “no” to their marketing campaign: no gratuities. 

Exactly.  It seems like Viking is pricing itself more and more up market but holding onto this entry level line practice.  Based on my experience and whatever research I've done relating to cruise lines, it seems Viking is the best line in terms of luxury/quality that still charges an additional fee for gratuities.  Likely the same can be said for beverages.

Not practices that make me avoid the line, but opportunities for improvement if they really want to go up market and not remind me of the mega ship lines.

• Like 3

On 2/21/2024 at 6:33 PM, mwike said:

I simply do not like the fact that Viking adds something to the bill and imposes a burden upon me if I want to remove the charge.  If they really wanted the charge to be optional, one would be able to remove the charge via the app or through the TV interface.  

By the same token, I prefer they be added automatically.  I don't want to have to go to a desk to add tips.  I know, many people like to tip individually and personally but how else are the people you never see going to share in the tips.  Yes, I'd prefer they'd be included in the fare but it's not much different when they charge them automatically.  Oh, and I've yet to see a line whose price includes gratuities that doesn't point that out in capitol letters.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

You quoted the wrong person.  I totally agree with what you've said.  Nobody forces people to go walk the plank as you say.  My point is - then why do people continue to complain about "having" to walk the plank.  Just give it up if it doesn't suit you and stop complaining.

My apologies--didn't realize we were on the same side.  I also agree that if Viking's not your thing for whatever the reason, then don't give them your business, but there is no need to cast them as the source of all evil--just don't give them your $$$$!

The real question is pay the gratuities up front as part of the fare or make up a bogus lower fare and charge the gratuities after the fact.

i much prefer everybody just be upfront and charge an honest fare.  

I paid for gratuities a year in advance, right from the MVJ site. 🤷‍♂️ It's easy to do and easy to see.  By the time we actually cruise, we won't even notice it. That way our favorite crew members will get a cash amount extra. 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChrisB123 said:

I paid for gratuities a year in advance, right from the MVJ site. 🤷‍♂️ It's easy to do and easy to see.  By the time we actually cruise, we won't even notice it. That way our favorite crew members will get a cash amount extra. 😁

The only reason we don’t pay gratuities in advance is we have often had excursions cancelled and end up wit a lot of extra OBC, which is helpful in paying for gratuities at the end of the trip.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, ChrisB123 said:

Yes --- Viking makes it easy to turn your money into their money. But --- a year in advance?

• Like 1

Does anyone think the folks who prefer Regent, SS or SB feel that their cruise fare is too high due to the included tips?  Meaning that they would rather the fare be $500 lower, and then charge the $500 at the end of the cruise.  I think this is a fair question as no one in this thread is arguing about the amount of the tip just how they bill the gratuities thus intentionally resulting in a lower quoted fare.

Or would Viking cruisers rather have the cost be $200 less, then charge for the specialty restaurants?  Reserved lounge seating, beer/wine with meals, spa???   

I imagine this practice comes from their river cruise roots, and its worked perfectly fine there & is currently working with ocean cruises.  Time will tell if this practice has staying power assuming they continue to price themselves more up market for ocean.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, duquephart said:

The practice on Viking River, at least the one I was on a few years ago, is/was to suggest tip amounts to voluntarily add to your bill.

That was previously the way.  It's now handled the same way as Ocean.

18 hours ago, mwike said:

Does anyone think the folks who prefer Regent, SS or SB feel that their cruise fare is too high due to the included tips?  Meaning that they would rather the fare be $500 lower, and then charge the $500 at the end of the cruise.  I think this is a fair question as no one in this thread is arguing about the amount of the tip just how they bill the gratuities thus intentionally resulting in a lower quoted fare.

Or would Viking cruisers rather have the cost be $200 less, then charge for the specialty restaurants?  Reserved lounge seating, beer/wine with meals, spa???   

I imagine this practice comes from their river cruise roots, and its worked perfectly fine there & is currently working with ocean cruises.  Time will tell if this practice has staying power assuming they continue to price themselves more up market for ocean.

There is a discussion somewhere on comparing cost of one cruise line to another.  It is very difficult because they are not apples to apples.  A recent post - could even be on this discussion - a poster suggests comparing two cruise lines where they say that the itineraries are "similar" but not the same.  This makes it difficult to compare.

So, increasing Viking fares to include gratuities (in Canada and the USA) or lowering other lines fares to not include gratuities is not the answer - I don't think.

I think back to the original discussion, we vote for what we know.  Those that are voting Viking as number one, are doing so because they like it.  Others look at this when they have had a sub-standard experience on Viking and wonder why Viking ranks so high.  It is because annually - somehow - I get the email or the survey asking me to vote.  I vote for the experience that I know which is Viking.  

I would imagine there are folks, perhaps lots of folks, who prefer the "not included" system in regard to "gratuities." That way of handling things allows them to reduce or eliminate "tips" on the grounds that they are really a service charge. These folks generally prefer to see their "tips" directly into the hands of deserving staff.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, duquephart said:

I would imagine there are folks, perhaps lots of folks, who prefer the "not included" system in regard to "gratuities." That way of handling things allows them to reduce or eliminate "tips" on the grounds that they are really a service charge. These folks generally prefer to see their "tips" directly into the hands of deserving staff.

What about the deck hands that help you on and off tenders? They’re not deserving? Not to mention the hard working staff you don’t necessarily interface with. I’m with those that think gratuities should just be included and cruisers can go above and beyond if they choose. If you like “service charge”, you can call it that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

What about the deck hands that help you on and off tenders? They’re not deserving? Not to mention the hard working staff you don’t necessarily interface with. I’m with those that think gratuities should just be included and cruisers can go above and beyond if they choose. If you like “service charge”, you can call it that.

I call it that because that is what "tips" are. Lots of information here and elsewhere. When you pay "gratuities" what you are really doing is contributing to the general/payroll fund - out of which the "hard working staff" is paid. In other words, "gratuities" are included in what these people are paid. Folks who do not pay these "tips" are stiffing no one. Many people seem to think that what they pay in "gratuities" becomes a pot of money that is distributed (according to some formula) at the end of each and every cruise. That is a fantasy. 

On 2/22/2024 at 12:21 AM, SJD117 said:

As I wrote above, we paid the discretionary service charge at every restaurant — so we don’t know the process for reversing the charge.

Just tell them to take it off when the card machine is produced, or use the menu buttons to remove it yourself before paying. It's often a sign of a lower quality or tourist establishment. 

Around our way the places that have a large number of foreign customers often add it, those with mostly UK customers usually don't

53 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Many people seem to think that what they pay in "gratuities" becomes a pot of money that is distributed (according to some formula) at the end of each and every cruise. That is a fantasy. 

Viking’s web site states:

This charge will be shared among the onboard staff who helped support and provide your cruise experience, including the waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, galley staff, laundry staff and others. 

So Viking is lying? And our room steward on one of our cruises told us tipping her was not necessary as she receives tips from the gratuities pool. What’s your source for calling shared tips a fantasy?

• Like 7

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

These folks generally prefer to see their "tips" directly into the hands of deserving staff.

How would I know who did a really good job doing my laundry, just for one example?  What you are saying here is nonsensical.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

Viking’s web site states:

This charge will be shared among the onboard staff who helped support and provide your cruise experience, including the waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, galley staff, laundry staff and others. 

So Viking is lying? And our room steward on one of our cruises told us tipping her was not necessary as she receives tips from the gratuities pool. What’s your source for calling shared tips a fantasy?

Several threads here. I'm just reporting the findings of others.

1 minute ago, duquephart said:

Several threads here. I'm just reporting the findings of others.

You stated the distribution of tips to staff is a fantasy - and your reason is others here challenge Viking’s policy as stated on their website. So the challengers are right and Viking is wrong. Yeah.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

You stated the distribution of tips to staff is a fantasy - and your reason is others here challenge Viking’s policy as stated on their website. So the challengers are right and Viking is wrong. Yeah.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2630344-gratuities/

Start at post #29.

I do not understand how the OP’s original intent of comparing between two #1 rated cruise lines has turned into a debate of how Viking should name and charge guests for the “gratuities”.  The way I look at the charge is that it is a part of the cruise fare.  I trust that Viking pays their staff well according to their position/responsibility (fair). The “gratuities”, split in a fixed way among all staff (again,fair), are like extras (similar to overtime pay) that vary with the number of guests onboard (more people => more work => more pay). Any additional tips that I pay to specific staff is discretionary (my choice, my judgement, fair or not). So, Viking, keep adding the “gratuities” to my onboard account at end of cruise, thereby saving me the trouble of tracking one more thing to do.

Back to the original topic - thank you, OP, for your thoughts about the two cruise lines. Think I am more convinced that Viking is a better choice for me.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dreamercruise said:

Back to the original topic - thank you, OP, for your thoughts about the two cruise lines. Think I am more convinced that Viking is a better choice for me.

Oh that's right, I did have an original topic entirely unrelated to tipping, didn't I? 🤣

• Like 3