Do I need to tell Princess that I do not want an upgrade

BonnieSte

I have heard that Princess will upgrade you without you wanting to. Is that true? If so how can I prevent this? Another question, we are going with 2 other couples. Should we link our rooms?

Thank you in advance for your help.

AFIK, there is no "tick box"  I typically book on Princess website and transfer to TA. I have never seen one. If you do not wish Princess to decide on your cabin location, contact where ever the booking was made and ask to have it marked "No Upgrade"

• Thanks 1

You have to positively state to have your booking marked "No Upgrade." I always have my T.A. arrange for this. I don't know how you do it if you booked on line.

Do you want all your accounts linked or your dining linked? You link accounts by providing the same credit card number for all individuals. You link dining in the Dine My Way app. 

9 minutes ago, skynight said:

You have to positively state to have your booking marked "No Upgrade." I always have my T.A. arrange for this. I don't know how you do it if you booked on line.

Do you want all your accounts linked or your dining linked? You link accounts by providing the same credit card number for all individuals. You link dining in the Dine My Way app. 

Thank you!

31 minutes ago, skynight said:

I always have a check box to tick for "no upgrades" when booking direct on line

TA should ask during the booking process.

57 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

I always have a check box to tick for "no upgrades" when booking direct on line

TA should ask during the booking process.

Not booking from the USA, huh?

maybe UK?

No box to mark in the US. Be aware that having a booking marked as "No Upgrade" doesn't always work. I had a cabin changed something like 4 times even though it was marked as "No Upgrade". I kept having to get my TA to get the original cabin back. I eventually sent a snotty-gram to Princess about the change and they finally got the message. I received a call apologizing for them messing with the cabin. We had chosen a specific location to make my wife happy (it was very near to the aft pool) and they kept "upgrading" us to a location that was midship which Princess thinks is "better".

I chose my own cabin at the time of booking.  Wanted that specific room in that specific location.

Am I understanding that Princess can/would "upgrade" that without contacting me (or my TA) - even if I paid extra to select my own cabin?

Have your booking marked "No Upgrade" for your best chance of not being upgraded, though it doesn't always work. I had a carefully chosen cabin booked for a year for my last cruise. A week before the cruise I received an email that my cabin had been upgraded even though my booking was marked "No Upgrade". When I rang to try and get my booked cabin back I was told that it had already been allocated to someone else and I could not be moved back.

Edited by PurpleTraveller

1 hour ago, greenbeanie said:

I chose my own cabin at the time of booking.  Wanted that specific room in that specific location.

Am I understanding that Princess can/would "upgrade" that without contacting me (or my TA) - even if I paid extra to select my own cabin?

Princess and every other cruiseline can upgrade you.  They certainly need to notify you or your TA.  I had it happen twice.

1st time due to a mechanical issue.  Received a larger and definitely upgraded cabin.

2nd time due to a large group.  Was offered several choices and OBC or discount on a future cruise.