“Legendary” cruise

Toad

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I will let you know when I finish.  We are just now in Hawaii for a bit longer before going to Tahiti.  There is a live thread here in the HAL board if you want to skim 

I’ve been following along.  Really appreciate the time you’re putting into it.  

This brochure was in my cabin this evening. It is the Legendary cruises for 2025-26. I don’t know if this information helps anyone but I thought I would post it. 

IMG_5229.thumb.jpeg.da144a8ef3329b2fab17e181ddf66a37.jpeg

IMG_5230.thumb.jpeg.a80bb37b156140e5ecfdaa93548d3506.jpeg

IMG_5231.thumb.jpeg.d80d80101446fb854b45b4ad008e4f38.jpeg

IMG_5232.thumb.jpeg.7354c208df66984cf51ca1f431922b5f.jpeg

IMG_5233.thumb.jpeg.682135faa90ae651d908f9c14afdd5c1.jpeg

Edited by Nickelpenny
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Good for HAL -whatever you call these offerings they are pretty fantastic - with twists on the usual routes. I like the direction they have now chosen to go - lead with their strengths - their legendary strengths .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The seafood boil has been on all of my cruises the past year including my far-from-legendary 7 day repositioning cruise

Same - it was on 7 day AK, 14 day Rome RT, 16 day Rome-FLL TA and 16 day HI; none "legendary" 3 diff ships.

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I stand corrected, as I said my booking says nothing about "Legendary Voyage"; but the HAL website is listing it as one. I guess we'll know for sure when we find the "Legendary Voyage" tote bag in our stateroom. 😉

And we will be waiting no-so-patiently for your report 😉

8 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

And we will be waiting no-so-patiently for your report 😉

I will be doing another "Observations" thread when we finally go. Unfortunately it is a year away still.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toad said:

So I am on this year, 2024, Voyage of the Vikings, so I can hope it is LEGENDARY!

With new lava flows near the Blue Lagoon now  gobbling up houses, I think you can count on this. 🌋

• Haha 1

About the fancy bag: we received something very similar in quality last year and it weighs a ton. I can't imagine lugging it around with anything in it.  It did a nice job of keeping all my HAL paperwork tidy and in one placeon the ship and now at home it serves the staging ground for the next cruise :)

Sailed the 2023 VOV on Zuiderdam, which was one of the first voyages advertised as "legendary" when the term appeared last year, even if it wasn't originally marketed that way.

• Service was a cut better than other cruises, and it appeared the crew was more seasoned/GV folks. (This was likely also a corollary of the Zuiderdam having sailed the WC a few months earlier and those crew still being aboard.)
  • Food was a cut better, with more menu variety. This was the first cruise where I experienced MDR daily breakfast specials, which at the time I was told were for legendary voyages, but now apparently have been rolled out to all ships.
  • In the Lido, each day had an elaborately themed specialty section for lunch: Dutch day, Mexican festival, chocolate extravaganza, etc. We also had sashimi and specialty sushi rolls each day (never seen this outside of GVs)
  • Hotel Director was Henk Mensink, and I believe his presence played a role in special events onboard: "Let them eat cake" dessert extravaganza in the Lido, a Lido carnival fun faire with food and games, an elaborate wine and cheese sailaway party, and a cabin block party. These events - all of them seen on other GVs - were really what made the cruise feel "legendary" or more special than the norm to me. 
  • Seafood boils were offered twice (I don't consider this legendary, but many passengers were eager to try them out)
  • We had 2 Tamarind pop-ups in the Pinnacle
  • We only had "free lobster" once, which made all the passengers cheer when it was shared at a coffee chat.
  • No tote bag or commemorative item (not expected, just wanted to note).
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Infi said:

Sailed the 2023 VOV on Zuiderdam, which was one of the first voyages advertised as "legendary" when the term appeared last year, even if it wasn't originally marketed that way.

• Service was a cut better than other cruises, and it appeared the crew was more seasoned/GV folks. (This was likely also a corollary of the Zuiderdam having sailed the WC a few months earlier and those crew still being aboard.)
  • Food was a cut better, with more menu variety. This was the first cruise where I experienced MDR daily breakfast specials, which at the time I was told were for legendary voyages, but now apparently have been rolled out to all ships.
  • In the Lido, each day had an elaborately themed specialty section for lunch: Dutch day, Mexican festival, chocolate extravaganza, etc. We also had sashimi and specialty sushi rolls each day (never seen this outside of GVs)
  • Hotel Director was Henk Mensink, and I believe his presence played a role in special events onboard: "Let them eat cake" dessert extravaganza in the Lido, a Lido carnival fun faire with food and games, an elaborate wine and cheese sailaway party, and a cabin block party. These events - all of them seen on other GVs - were really what made the cruise feel "legendary" or more special than the norm to me. 
  • Seafood boils were offered twice (I don't consider this legendary, but many passengers were eager to try them out)
  • We had 2 Tamarind pop-ups in the Pinnacle
  • We only had "free lobster" once, which made all the passengers cheer when it was shared at a coffee chat.
  • No tote bag or commemorative item (not expected, just wanted to note).

This is not in my opinion only on legendary voyages.  It seems to be a return to HAL standards. My 22 day January cruise was not “legendary” and had all of these features.  I think these features are easier to accomplish on a longer cruise than Caribbean one weekers.  Our enrichment and entertainment seems about the same between both.  I must say that the bands are overall better quality than last year’s ensembles. That may just be people finally returning to work on cruise ships after the lockdowns. 

so far the only difference I have found between January and my current legendary voyage is the tote bag and the every night chocolates.  DH has not had a single of those chocolates as I have a lot of catching up to do😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

This is not in my opinion only on legendary voyages.  It seems to be a return to HAL standards. My 22 day January cruise was not “legendary” and had all of these features.  I think these features are easier to accomplish on a longer cruise than Caribbean one weekers.  Our enrichment and entertainment seems about the same between both.  I must say that the bands are overall better quality than last year’s ensembles. That may just be people finally returning to work on cruise ships after the lockdowns. 

so far the only difference I have found between January and my current legendary voyage is the tote bag and the every night chocolates.  DH has not had a single of those chocolates as I have a lot of catching up to do😉

nochocolate.jpg.7960558bc8b5ef8f0fe25722efe01cc1.jpg

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I’m on the 35 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise right now. This is my 6th time on this itinerary and the first time it’s been called “legendary”. Seems about the same to me, except for the upgraded tote bag. Same Step One dance performances that I’ve been watching for about 8 years now. I even know what songs are coming next. LOL

Edited by dmcfad2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmcfad2 said:

I’m on the 35 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise right now. This is my 6th time on this itinerary and the first time it’s been called “legendary”. Seems about the same to me, except for the upgraded tote bag. Same Step One dance performances that I’ve been watching for about 8 years now. I even know what songs are coming next. LOL

Let me guess, you’re also having the Holland America origin story and the BBC movie with the snakes.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

Let me guess, you’re also having the Holland America origin story and the BBC movie with the snakes.  

Origins was the first night. I’m sure the BBC movie is coming up in the next three weeks. 😂

On 2/26/2024 at 2:04 PM, Sir PMP said:

You need Legendary cruise ships with Legendary staff and passengers:

IMG_0671.jpeg

One of these Legendary staff member will be gone after next year. The other is already just a passenger. 

• Haha 2

Well glad to know I will be on a “legendary “cruise and hoping for some of these perks, but it doesn’t sound as if I will recognize them or not.😏