Sold Out Excursion

I don't know if RC does, but you may want to explore excursions offered via Viator, or Shore Excursions.  The only caveat is you are responsible for ensuring you are back on board on time.   I book excursions with a guaranteed ending at least two hours before "on board" time and never more than a few minutes away from the port.  

• Like 1

I am fairly certain that yes, they hold back a percentage of spots that can be booked on board. Once on board you'll want to get to the Shore Excursions desk ASAP to book the excursion you want. If the excursion is "selling out" before boarding, it means that it's a popular excursion and the remaining spots will sell out fast on board.

• Like 1

Even if they do "hold back spots", which makes no sense, would you want to be part of a packed-to-the-gills excursion?  

SaturnGrl gave you good advice:  Look into private tours for the same activity.  You'll be part of a smaller group, which almost always moves faster and gives you more options.  That they're cheaper is just a bonus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I am fairly certain that yes, they hold back a percentage of spots that can be booked on board. Once on board you'll want to get to the Shore Excursions desk ASAP to book the excursion you want. If the excursion is "selling out" before boarding, it means that it's a popular excursion and the remaining spots will sell out fast on board.

I have never seen an excursion that was sold out online have availability on the ship. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cayman1 said:

We are looking to book an excursion on an upcoming cruise, but it is showing sold out online. Does RC still hold back some to book while on board?

Keep checking online as well unless you find something else you want or book elsewhere.  The one I wanted was sold out, but someone must have cancelled as it became available later and I was able to book it.

I called RCCL 2 days ago to ask this exact question regarding a sold out excursion and was told they do NOT keep unsold spots available upon boarding the ship.  But they said you can email the excursion dept at shorex@rccl.com  and request that they open up spots for you.   It could work.                                                                                                                                      

On 2/26/2024 at 8:48 AM, Cayman1 said:

We are looking to book an excursion on an upcoming cruise, but it is showing sold out online. Does RC still hold back some to book while on board?

No. There is zero business case for holding back spots for onboard booking. The cruise line maximizes revenue by selling every seat on an excursion. That being said, there may be last minute cancellations, but don't count on any.  

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No. There is zero business case for holding back spots for onboard booking. The cruise line maximizes revenue by selling every seat on an excursion. That being said, there may be last minute cancellations, but don't count on any.  

Year ago, they used to because not everyone was able to book online, thus why I ask.

On 2/26/2024 at 9:50 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Even if they do "hold back spots", which makes no sense, would you want to be part of a packed-to-the-gills excursion?  

SaturnGrl gave you good advice:  Look into private tours for the same activity.  You'll be part of a smaller group, which almost always moves faster and gives you more options.  That they're cheaper is just a bonus.

Agree 1000%. We have private excursions booked in St Thomas and St Martin on our next Wonder sailing. We're done with the RC cattle call excursions.

3 hours ago, allie3490 said:

Agree 1000%. We have private excursions booked in St Thomas and St Martin on our next Wonder sailing. We're done with the RC cattle call excursions.

Yep, cattle-call is an appropriate term.  

BUT every now and again they're the appropriate choice; for example, we have Royal's tickets to the Aviary in the Costa Maya port for an upcoming cruise.  It'd be the same thing no matter where we purchase tickets, and they were on a good sale on Black Friday.  And if you're going far from the port OR on an excursion that requires multiple forms of transportation -- the Mexican ruins tours being the poster child for this type of excursion -- it's smart to stick with the ship's offerings. 

But beach trips?  Just take a cab.  Activities close to the port?  Book a private excursion -- you'll be back by mid-afternoon anyway, and you're almost certain to have a superior experience.  

Last cruise a small group snorkel trip in Bonaire was sold out for a year up to about 2 weeks before the cruise.  Then suddenly became available until they shut down online bookings 5 days before the cruise.  We booked direct with Epic Tours Bonaire and got a similar tour with only 14 people onboard for $100 less than the ship tour would have been.

Some of these sold items may be placeholders since the contract may not be finalized.  Or they could be someone holding a bunch of bookings for a group and then releasing them before they get onboard (after 5 days any refund is returned as refundable onboard credit rather than to your credit card).