Princess Plus With A Baby

Gardyloo2

This spring we’re going on a Princess cruise. I haven’t been on Princess in over 20 years, but was just on HAL two weeks ago. I'm looking forward to it.

My son and his wife are going with me; my technical cabin mate will be their 22 month old baby. We have adjoining mini suites and the baby will be sleeping with them. Our TA said it’d save us money since I'm a solo traveler.

My question is about Plus:   I want it, they don’t and there’s no point in the baby having access to any of the features. They plan to pay his gratuities in cash. 

Has anyone been successful in adding Plus for one person under any cicumstances? I’d say normally no, but maybe the baby makes a difference.  When I went into the cruise personalizer it wanted to charge me for both of us.

Would either your son or his wife benefit from the Plus package? If one of them would benefit, it might make sense for one of them to book in your cabin with the two of you having Plus and the other one to book with the baby in the other cabin.

On board, Guest Services can program any of your medallions to access the other cabin. You just need to have an official occupant of that cabin with you when you make the request.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

Would either your son or his wife benefit from the Plus package? If one of them would benefit, it might make sense for one of them to book in your cabin with the two of you having Plus and the other one to book with the baby in the other cabin.

On board, Guest Services can program any of your medallions to access the other cabin. You just need to have an official occupant of that cabin with you when you make the request.

This makes a lot of sense, thank you.  I'll talk with them and the TA and see if it's not too late to make the change.  The TA said I might be able to get it for myself only, once we get onboard, but your solution would be easier.

I had planned a cruise with family plus 2 yr.  I told my agent the 2 yr would not use any of the packages.  She was able to get Princess to remove the package for the 2 yr.

• Like 2

I’m not clear by your statement “They plan to pay his gratuities in cash.”  

Are they planning to remove the auto crew appreciation?  Are they Also doing this to both of their accounts?

I support @NavyVeteran suggestion.  

I have always wondered why there isn’t a child’s fare.

12 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Are they planning to remove the auto crew appreciation?  Are they Also doing this to both of their accounts?

Maybe they're reducing the amount of crew appreciation?

19 hours ago, Gardyloo2 said:

This spring we’re going on a Princess cruise. I haven’t been on Princess in over 20 years, but was just on HAL two weeks ago. I'm looking forward to it.

My son and his wife are going with me; my technical cabin mate will be their 22 month old baby. We have adjoining mini suites and the baby will be sleeping with them. Our TA said it’d save us money since I'm a solo traveler.

My question is about Plus:   I want it, they don’t and there’s no point in the baby having access to any of the features. They plan to pay his gratuities in cash. 

Has anyone been successful in adding Plus for one person under any cicumstances? I’d say normally no, but maybe the baby makes a difference.  When I went into the cruise personalizer it wanted to charge me for both of us.

Can you be in the cabin with son or his wife on paper?  

You said they don't want it, but it wouldn't it be a lower amount to pay for plus for two than a solo supplement?  Then the baby and one parent can have standard in the other cabin. 

2 hours ago, phabric said:

I had planned a cruise with family plus 2 yr.  I told my agent the 2 yr would not use any of the packages.  She was able to get Princess to remove the package for the 2 yr.

This is what I want to do but the TA was unable to do it. I'll probably go to the service desk and see if they can at the same time I remove the baby's crew appreciation so it won't hit my credit card.  

Baby's parents are generous tippers and they're aware of how much extra work he may be for the room and wait staff. They'll take care of the baby's tips

I talked with the TA this morning, final payment is made and it's too late to make room rearrangements, so we'll roll with what we have.  

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

We cruise with our kids, who get Plus. 

But there should be a baby fare - kids 3 and under?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gardyloo2 said:

This is what I want to do but the TA was unable to do it. I'll probably go to the service desk and see if they can at the same time I remove the baby's crew appreciation so it won't hit my credit card.  

Baby's parents are generous tippers and they're aware of how much extra work he may be for the room and wait staff. They'll take care of the baby's tips

I talked with the TA this morning, final payment is made and it's too late to make room rearrangements, so we'll roll with what we have.  

I always “thought” that names/passengers could be changed/replace up until sailing. I could be wrong.  Wouldn’t be the first time. 

1 hour ago, Gardyloo2 said:

Book your drink package on board!!!!!  Same with moving names from cabin to cabin.

Just wait tilllate afternoon on boarding day.  Will take only a few minutes then.

Right now only your TA can make changes about who is where 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gardyloo2 said:

I remove the baby's crew appreciation so it won't hit my credit card.  

please don't remove it. Use the parents' credit card when checking-in for the baby, and his grats will hit THAT credit card instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven’t sailed Princess in 4 years, but on most cruise line website when you are doing the online checkin, you enter your credit card and it asks if this is for anyone else.  Don’t check yes, you would have to enter the name of the baby.  Have the parents add the baby to theirs when they do their checkin.  Or just say you are using cash, then after you board go to guest services and present your credit card there and make sure the baby is on the other account.  EM

8 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Just a thought. Princess has probably considered. If such a fare were offered, I think it would raise all the non-baby fares. Same with packages. I'm imagine Princess knows all the ways some might try to work the system. I don't fault Princess 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Just a thought. Princess has probably considered. If such a fare were offered, I think it would raise all the non-baby fares. Same with packages. I'm imagine Princess knows all the ways some might try to work the system. I don't fault Princess 

Princess will sometimes offer free third and fourth passenger fares. However baby is second passenger in this case. If Princess offered a lower baby fare, then adult and baby in cabin would pay less than adult by herself paying single supplement. That wouldn't make sense as long as Princess is charging 100% single supplement.

10 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

Princess will sometimes offer free third and fourth passenger fares. However baby is second passenger in this case. If Princess offered a lower baby fare, then adult and baby in cabin would pay less than adult by herself paying single supplement. That wouldn't make sense as long as Princess is charging 100% single supplement.

Playing Devil's Advocate:

Or it's Princess' way of making sure their are NOT a lot of kids sailing.  I know it has stopped my daughter from cruising with her young family.  

And I do agree, if a toddler/infant was a "free" passenger 2, then passenger one would lose out on the dreaded solo supplement.  But it is a give and take and Princess "should" allow the adult in this situation, to purchase Plus or Premier.  

I would like to give credit to Princess for being a critical thinker, but that's really not their norm.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gardyloo2 said:

My understanding is you can swap out Guest #2 on a res.  So, swap Dad and Baby. 

Are you too late to cancel Plus altogether and get refunded and go Standard?  Then, add Plus on board. 

At least you know what to do next time.  I am thinking Princess - at least on the ship - will not charge Baby for Plus.  The PCL call center overseas is going to just read you chapter-and-verse and you have to pay.  Maybe your TA needs to try a bit harder.  IDK.  Seems like they didn't give you the right advice from the get-go.

Hope it works out.