15 year-old in room across hall

Would NCL allow this..

Thinking of booking 2 rooms, 1 oceanview and 1 inside..

If I were to list husband in inside and myself and 15 yo daughter in oceanview, could we get an extra keys and put daughter in inside..They would be across the hall from each other..

Thanks

Posted (edited)

this question gets asked once a week. do a search.

opinions and eye rolls abound.

could you get extra keys?

absolutely!

does NCL allow minors to be in a room unaccompanied, across the hall from their parents?

absolutely not!

NCL expressly forbids this.

an adjoining room, yes. a room across the hall on her own? no.

Edited by UKstages

23 minutes ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

Would NCL allow this..

If I were to list husband in inside and myself and 15 yo daughter in oceanview, could we get an extra keys and put daughter in inside..They would be across the hall from each other..

Thanks

it may be forbidden but I know people that have done it more than once.

yes, they will allow you to get extra keys.  However, it is forbidden for her to be in a room by herself so if there are noise complaints or any other problems they might throw you all off the ship (I don't know your kid so I don't know if this is something you need to worry about.). My 13 year old isn't getting his own room for a very long time for good reasons, but I don't know your kid so I can't judge her.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

The ship does not have adorning rooms (Jewel) so that option is out...

How much of a price difference would getting 2 connecting Oceanview (OF) or 2 connecting Oceanview w/bigger window (OB) staterooms be?

3 hours ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

Would NCL allow this..

Thanks

It is not within policy to have guest under 21 in a room by themselves. 

Can you do it understanding that it is technically not "legal", yes

Have a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

How much of a price difference would getting 2 connecting Oceanview (OF) or 2 connecting Oceanview w/bigger window (OB) staterooms be?

It would probably be about the same as a club balcony suite for 3...the only connecting rooms they show have the Pullman beds and it bothers me that they jut out from the wall..

No, it is not against NCL policy. For legal responsibility, an adult must be assigned to each room. 

But believe it or not — 15 year-olds are in rooms alone, all the time.  Does anyone really think a 15 year-old needs a babysitter in the same room 24/7?

A parent, sharing a room with a 15-year-old isn’t allowed to go for an early morning walk on the deck while their teenager sleeps in?

Parents aren’t allowed to go to the bar for a drink while their kids watch tv in the room? If a 23 year old is sharing a cabin with their 17 year old sibling, the 23-year-old can’t go to the spa while the 17 year-old takes a shower in the cabin?

No, there is absolutely no NCL policy requiring a parent to be with their child at all times in the room.  But the “adult” is legally responsible for the room at all times. Thus, an adult must be assigned to each room.  But family members can hang out in each other’s rooms, change off sleeping arrangements, etc. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It is not within policy to have guest under 21 in a room by themselves. 

Really…. So the 20 year old has to physically be with their parent at all times? They can’t take a mid-day nap in the room while their parent plays bingo?

please show me any NCL policy that says someone under 21 may never be left alone in a room. 

Technically — the policy is, a minor must be accompanied on the cruise by an adult who is booked in the same stateroom. Not, they must be joined at the hip at all times. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

NCL's policy is that each room must have a guest over 21.  NCL obviously doesn't routinely undertake daily checks of where passengers are or where they are sleeping each night.  But if there are noise complaints or other complaints from fellow passengers, NCL does have security cameras everywhere in the hallways and after a complaint they might investigate.  If they find out a 15 year old was occupying a cabin by herself, they would have the right to throw the whole family off the ship.  That would likely only happen if there was some sort of problem or disturbance that occurred in the minor's cabin.  My son is irresponsible, so that's a legitimate concern for me.  The OP's child sounds very responsible, so she needs to determine whether or not she believes it is safe for her child to occupy the cabin across the hall from her by herself.  But she is taking the risk of being thrown off the ship if there are any problems, because she is technically in violation of NCL policy by doing this.  And there are also the safety issues raised by this - the level of risk the parents believe exists for a minor girl who is in a room by herself of danger from other passengers or crew, which obviously even the most responsible child cannot mitigate.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, UKstages said:

wow it's rare to see that many straw man arguments in one post.

it is absolutely against NCL rules for a minor to be in a stateroom across the hall from her parents, that is to say, for a room to be registered to a minor who is unaccompanied by an adult... the accompanying adult doesn't have to be joined at the hip, but they have to be staying in the same room. 

They have to be booked in the same room. As you just said — they don’t have to be joined in the hip.  The parents are free to trade off sleeping arrangements.  

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/age-requirements#:~:text=Norwegian Cruise Line's policy dictates,the day of embarkation%2Fboarding.

people are free to go to the spa, people are allowed to go for an early morning walk, people are allowed to go to a bar. that's not what's being discussed here.

That’s exactly what’s being discussed.  Yes, if a parent goes to the spa, they remain legally responsible for the minor who is in the cabin. If they sleep across the hall, they remain responsible for the minor in the cabin. 

what’s the difference? The number of minutes alone? Where in the NCL policy is there a definition of how many minutes the minor can be in the cabin without their parent? 

good grief.

you are quite correct. 

did somebody say there was?

technically?

you might want to read the actual policy, if you haven't already done so.

that's not what the policy says. it says nothing about being accompanied "on the cruise." it specifically says "in the same stateroom."

Read again. 

Travelling with Minors and Young Adults:
Norwegian Cruise Line's policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or a connecting/adjoining stateroom) by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

At the time of boarding, they  must be accompanied by an adult who is booked in the same cabin.  It does not say that the adult must physically be present in the room with the minor at all times.

i was told by guest services on the NCL Dawn a few years ago that there is absolutely no prohibition against getting extra keys and trading off sleeping arrangements, as long as an adult was booked in each cabin. 

how is an adult who sleeps across the hall accompanying the minor in the same stateroom?

oh, a boy can dream, can't he?

??? The same way that the adult taking a morning walk is accompanying their child who is sleeping in the cabin. If you’re still accompanying them while taking a walk a few decks away, then why can’t you accompany while sleeping across the hall? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

And there are also the safety issues raised by this - the level of risk the parents believe exists for a minor girl who is in a room by herself of danger from other passengers or crew, which obviously even the most responsible child cannot mitigate.

correct. 

it's a big issue. heaven forbid there is an assault or an altercation of some kind, the OP is on her own... no action can likely be undertaken against NCL because the parents set about to deceive NCL methodically and with specific intent. the minor would have been left to sleep alone in her room every night.

37 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

At the time of boarding, they  must be accompanied by an adult who is booked in the same cabin.

you're completely misreading this. "at the time of boarding" does not refer to how they enter the ship together, e.g. the adult accompanying the minor at the time of boarding, two by two, as if they were headed onto noah's ark.

the phrase "at the time of boarding" refers to the age of the minor at the time of boarding. if you're celebrating your 21st birthday during the cruise, NCL will consider you a minor for the duration of the cruise. that's what that phrase refers to!

no reasonable person would expect that the parent and child have to be "joined in the hip" for the duration of the cruise. that's not what this is about. and yet that continues to be the main thrust of your posts.

Edited by UKstages

8 minutes ago, UKstages said:

correct. 

it's a big issue. heaven forbid there is an assault or an altercation of some kind, the OP is on her own... no action can likely be undertaken against NCL because the parents set about to deceive NCL methodically and with specific intent. the minor would have been left to sleep alone in her room every night.

you're completely misreading this. "at the time of boarding" does not refer to how they enter the ship together, e.g. the adult accompanying the minor at the time of boarding, two by two, as if they were headed onto noah's ark.

the phrase "at the time of boarding" refers to the age of the minor at the time of boarding. if you're celebrating your 21st birthday during the cruise, NCL will consider you a minor for the duration of the cruise. that's what that phrase refers to!

no reasonable person would expect that the parent and child have to be "joined in the hip" for the duration of the cruise. that's not what this is about. and yet that continues to be the main thrust of your posts.

You’re missing the point.  I’ve been told by multiple NCL representatives that there is no prohibition against getting extra keys and trading sleeping arrangements.  

“accompanied” does not mean joined at the hip —- nor does it mean sleeping in the same room.  

Knock on the door, poke your head in for 10 seconds per day … you’ve “accompanied.”

Accompany does not mean you have to sleep together. 

And that’s what I’ve been assured by multiple NCL representatives.  

• Like 2

it is my understanding, and it has nothing to so with the maturity (or lack thereof) of the minor. NCL will not  let you book a room, inside up to garden suite for one person if they

are under 21. i also believe that you cannot have 2 bookings under the same name. so if you book the cabin under you and your daughters name, that will work, however, since you now must book the other cabin with just your husband's name, there is a good likelihood that you will need to pay the1 person supplement or 1 1/2 x's the cabin cost. why not check the cost of the 2 bedroom suite? 

• Like 1

Different cruise lines have different rules. I have been booking my kids in their own shared cabin since they were 13 and 15. We have done this on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity. I was pretty surprised when I had to book my husband with my 18 year old son in our next door cabins this summer. I have no comment on who will be sleeping where.

• Like 1

The only concern here is even though they are across the hall that room may have a different muster station, in the unlikely event should you have to muster you would need to go to the station your booked room is assigned to not the one your staying in. Also you should take the ocean view, and have the 15 y/o in the inside room, that's cursing 101

• Like 1

Here is what NCL says on their website about this:

image.png.b238319d7828a62b98f7866c07ffbfd1.png

Source: https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/age-requirements#:~:text=Norwegian Cruise Line's policy dictates,the day of embarkation%2Fboarding. 

Based on my interpretation, the rule is pretty danged clear that anyone under the age of 21 must be actually "accompanied" by someone that is at least 21 years old. It seems @UKstages is correct in their interpretation of the rules. @havoc315, I appreciate how much you're trying to make the rule apply in your case, but I don't think you can (based on how it's written). 

I may not necessarily agree with the rule, but it is pretty clear that the rule is the minor or young adult must have a 21 year old, or older, present in the room most of the time. If staff told you otherwise, common practice may be different than the rule.

Just like we all know law enforcement is likely not going to pull you over for going 61 in a 55. But, they could. And NCL, could require the 21 year old, or older, stay in the room with the minor/young adult. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, UKstages said:

this question gets asked once a week. do a search.

opinions and eye rolls abound.

could you get extra keys?

absolutely!

does NCL allow minors to be in a room unaccompanied, across the hall from their parents?

absolutely not!

NCL expressly forbids this.

an adjoining room, yes. a room across the hall on her own? no.

And obviously this poster has no clue, NCL is happy to put a minor in with someone 21+, and will give you extra keys at guest services after you board, they do it all of the time. When you book they will tell you to get extra keys after boarding.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, havoc315 said:

You’re missing the point.  I’ve been told by multiple NCL representatives that there is no prohibition against getting extra keys and trading sleeping arrangements.  

“accompanied” does not mean joined at the hip —- nor does it mean sleeping in the same room.  

Knock on the door, poke your head in for 10 seconds per day … you’ve “accompanied.”

Accompany does not mean you have to sleep together. 

And that’s what I’ve been assured by multiple NCL representatives.  

For whatever reason, there are some who refuse to acknowledge that NCL employees booking cruises tell parents it’s perfectly fine sleeping in separate cabins from their minor children, instruct them to go to guest services and get extra key cards. It’s so bizarre.

18 hours ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

Would NCL allow this..

Thanks

Have you compared the costs of the two separate rooms with that of a two bedroom suite?  Your daughter would have the privacy of having her own separate bedroom, you would not need to try to bend NCL's rules about having at least one adult booked in each room, it likely would be more convenient for you all, and you might be able to do it at a reasonable price.  On top of all that, you might enjoy the additional perks which are afforded to suite guests.

22 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

You obviously never booked more than one cabin with minors. I have, many times (have 5 kids). Every single time, the NCL rep told me that booking someone 21+ was necessary, but that NCL didn’t care who slept where. Same with the DCL rep. I have no idea why this bothers others, take it up with the cruise line if it offends you.

Exactly.  Not sure why some people are offended because they don't like how NCL is interpreting their own policy.

NCL clearly interprets "accompanying" to mean booked in the same cabin.  It's odd that some people are so insistent that "accompanying" means "sleeping."  Why should cruise critic posters be offended that NCL isn't using their preferred definition?

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

Have you compared the costs of the two separate rooms with that of a two bedroom suite?  Your daughter would have the privacy of having her own separate bedroom, you would not need to try to bend NCL's rules about having at least one adult booked in each room, it likely would be more convenient for you all, and you might be able to do it at a reasonable price.  On top of all that, you might enjoy the additional perks which are afforded to suite guests.

Yes, it was about 6,000.00 more

10 minutes ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

Yes, it was about 6,000.00 more

Please don't defend yourself some of these posters are ridiculous and just write things to get a rise out of others.  NCL has a policy of must be 21 to book a room but where everyone sleeps is up to you.  Have fun on your cruise.  

• Like 2

I think lots of ideas on here can be true at once.

1) It is against NCL's policy to have a minor in the room without an adult for the nightly assumption that they will eventually be sleeping together in the same room. This is to cover NCL's behind if something were to happen to the minor. Yes, as others have stated, the likelyhood of anything happens is small, but if they do find out, they do have the authority to kick you all off the ship without refund. I do think while most people have good intentions, a lot don't, and if someone were to follow her back to her cabin unbenownst to her, it would be a lot safer to (most likely in the wee hours, I would hope!) have an adult there.

2) A 15 year old can be responsible enough to stay on their own across the hall, or a 15 year old could be too immature (either deemed by their parents or the kid themselves (I saw a poster say that their daughter would feel uncomfortable). When I was 15 I took school group trips to Europe - our parents accompanied us but had separate rooms. We were allowed to pair with friends but had to check in with a curfew every night. I never dared to sneak out, or trash a hotel room, or get into trouble. Some of y'all are treating the OP like she's abanoning a newborn in their own room. If the policy did not reflect that and they did allow it, I think some 15 year olds are more than capable and comfortable for that privledge. However, two things can be true at once - the 15 year old could be capable in her own cabin, but policy wise, she should not be.