Parking Cape Liberty (Bayonne)?

I usually park at the port however, it is getting a little pricey.

Any good alternatives?

Not staying at a hotel so park and stay is not an option.

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

Any good alternatives?

Not a ton. Maybe if you found a deal at one of the offsite Newark Airport lots and Ubered to the port?

6 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I usually park at the port however, it is getting a little pricey.

Any good alternatives?

No reputable alternatives.

• Like 1

Between safety and security of your car being parked in the port and the additional cost for an Uber or Lyft on top of wherever you park, I've yet to find a better alternative to the port parking lots. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Our cruise is during hurricane season.  Is it safe to leave our car at the port?  

Is there covered parking?  We haven't cruised out of NJ in a dozen years.

There's a parking garage, but in the recent past when there are multiple ships homeporting in Cape Liberty the garage has been reserved for handicapped parking, with everyone else being required to park in a surface lot. Since the summer season when there will be multiple ships using Cape Liberty more or less coincides with hurricane season, without knowing exactly when you're sailing I'm going to assume that you won't be able to use the garage.

No one can predict where and when a hurricane will hit  and whether any particular storm will cause issues there. It's not something that happens often, but nor can anyone say it won't.

On 3/8/2024 at 3:47 PM, LB_NJ said:

Any good alternatives?

I don't know where you are coming from in New Jersey but what about just taking an Uber to the port? Even if it was a break even cost wise you still wouldn't have to worry about anything happening to your car there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Our cruise is during hurricane season.  Is it safe to leave our car at the port?  

Is there covered parking?  We haven't cruised out of NJ in a dozen years.

Lived in NJ for over 50 years, experienced several hurricanes, own 4 vehicles but not a garage, I haven’t heard the parking in Bayonne is prone to flooding so cars should be fine. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I don't know where you are coming from in New Jersey but what about just taking an Uber to the port? Even if it was a break even cost wise you still wouldn't have to worry about anything happening to your car there.

And, depending upon where home is, perhaps rail to Newark followed by Uber or taxi to the port.   There always seems to be many people reluctant to consider public transportation.

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Lived in NJ for over 50 years, experienced several hurricanes, own 4 vehicles but not a garage, I haven’t heard the parking in Bayonne is prone to flooding so cars should be fine. 

There definitely was flooding at Cape Liberty from Sandy. If you look at page 22 of this study https://www.nj.gov/dep/docs/flood/final-studies/stevens-hudson/hudson-river-waterfront-sandy-surge-mitigation-analysis-final.pdf  you'll see "Two hours before the peak surge in the Harbor, the Military Ocean Terminal Pier was overtopped" . The Military Ocean Terminal is the location of Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal.

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal parking lot on the New York side was also flooded...in fact at the time the official port website nycruise.com confirmed that all vehicles parked there were damaged and would have to be towed.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

There definitely was flooding at Cape Liberty from Sandy. If you look at page 22 of this study https://www.nj.gov/dep/docs/flood/final-studies/stevens-hudson/hudson-river-waterfront-sandy-surge-mitigation-analysis-final.pdf  you'll see "Two hours before the peak surge in the Harbor, the Military Ocean Terminal Pier was overtopped" . The Military Ocean Terminal is the location of Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal.

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal parking lot on the New York side was also flooded...in fact at the time the official port website nycruise.com confirmed that all vehicles parked there were damaged and would have to be towed.

Sandy was a whopper, largest power outage in US history. So many homes and vehicles destroyed. I believe the airport long term lots are also uncovered and on the ground.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

That's a bit different. That was THE Hurricane in NJ. In the most part, 99% of the time, a storm isn't going to cause torrential flooding in Bayonne. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

That's a bit different. That was THE Hurricane in NJ. In the most part, 99% of the time, a storm isn't going to cause torrential flooding in Bayonne. 

My point is that it can happen and it has happened, so you can't say it won't happen. Nowhere do I say it's likely to flood.

• Like 2