Excursions

I am going on an 8 day cruise to Western Caribbean, one excursion has a ladder I have to climb to get back in the sailing boat, I have a fear of ladders, anyone have any input

I think you may wish to post this request on the main board for ocean sailing that pertains to your cruise line. River ships have gangways to shore, no ladder.

Posted (edited)

I assume you mean the sailboat that is used in the excursion.  I would think that the crew members on board would assist you up or down the ladder if needed.  But not knowing how many steps are involved or the degree to which your fear would impact you, it would be very difficult to for me to recommend going on it, therefore I would suggest maybe avoiding this excursion if that would be a concern.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Eoghan-23 said:

I am going on an 8 day cruise to Western Caribbean, one excursion has a ladder I have to climb to get back in the sailing boat, I have a fear of ladders, anyone have any input

Welcome to Cruise Critic! 

It would seem to me that three rungs up onto a waiting boat is different than a multi-meter ladder up to a roof or ceiling of a house. There will, as someone said, be people to help you, plus if you fall, it's just into the water to start again! 

If you have a debilitating fear of even a step-stool to reach a shelf in the kitchen, it may be time to request a referal from your physician for a psychologist to help you conquer the phobia.

On 3/9/2024 at 9:58 AM, Eoghan-23 said:

Asking the obvious question:  If ladders are a problem, why this particular excursion?  So many are available, why not make a different choice?  

Tweaking the question:  What kind of experience do you want to have on this island?  

• Like 1

If this particular excursion seems important or especially appealing to you, then ask how many steps there are to the ladder, and perhaps a photo.  (Some ladders have something like thick rods as "step"; others have flattened steps, etc.)

Ask if there is any help for someone uncomfortable with ladders.

But the bottom line is that this should be a *pleasant* experience for you.  If you are likely to be dreading it in advance, or fearful during the excursion, then it's probably not the best choice.

(Note:  I have a different fear, of heights.  There are some excursions I simply will NOT go on.  Very occasionally, if it's something really special, then DH may go without me that day.  But usually, we just select something else.)

GC

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Asking the obvious question:  If ladders are a problem, why this particular excursion?  So many are available, why not make a different choice?  

Tweaking the question:  What kind of experience do you want to have on this island?  

I agree 100%. Why take any kind of excursion if it is going to cause major stress?....Cruising (for me anyway), is to DE-Stress......

• Like 1

I should have worded my inquiry into ladders a bit clearer, I'm terrified of extension ladders in general, I have had both knees and hips replaced and was concerned a about getting up, but, am able to get out a pool via ladder etc, so, the ship should be roughly the same, and, as stated by many, there'll be help if needed, I thank-you all good the input, I'm going on the excursion and will hand a blast

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eoghan-23 said:

I should have worded my inquiry into ladders a bit clearer, I'm terrified of extension ladders in general, I have had both knees and hips replaced and was concerned a about getting up, but, am able to get out a pool via ladder etc, so, the ship should be roughly the same, and, as stated by many, there'll be help if needed, I thank-you all good the input, I'm going on the excursion and will hand a blast

Oh wow, that is not what I was expecting to read but in any case, I hope you have a great cruise😃

It's all good, I have cruised before, when I'm early 20's, while cruising is pretty much the same, a lot has changed over the years, I am looking forward to going, can't wait to tell everyone in this forum

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

I agree 100%. Why take any kind of excursion if it is going to cause major stress?....Cruising (for me anyway), is to DE-Stress......

I am not, in any way stressed, it was a simple inquiry, and, opening my "vulnerability" to one thing in my life

6 hours ago, Eoghan-23 said:

Do remember a ladder to climb into a boat is different to a ladder in a pool. The boat will be anchored and will be moving due to the swell of the water and you could have a few waves. Having had bilateral hip and knee surgery will you be comfortable climbing a ladder that is moving?

I have no idea, lol lol, this was the reason for the inquiry, in essence, I just cannot get on my knees, period, but, one doesn't use those on the rungs, lol,if I cancel the excursion, I'll never know, so, I've chosen to go, and not "overthink" 

I thank-you for your kind words, not everyone has been

2 hours ago, Eoghan-23 said:

I am not, in any way stressed, it was a simple inquiry, and, opening my "vulnerability" to one thing in my life

Virtual hugs 🙂 PS: I'm afraid of heights so an extension ladder is off-limits for me.

CLO, thank-you, very much, I'm sure I'll be able to maneuver the ladder, I've been told there's help, I have to conquer this. At the end of the day, I just don't want to look like an ass🤣🤣🤣