Cake Party?

55 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Thanks. I was referring to the paper ones. I scanned all of ours for future reference. There was nothing referring to the cake event. I even reread them on my tablet in case I couldn't see it on my phone.

In fairness, I think we were in the Lido once during the whole week. And that was just cutting through.

We were so fascinated by the concept of being on a ship that we forgot to look for cake. A mistake we don't intend to repeat.

"Cake Me Away" was featured on the front page of the daily on my February Zaandam cruise. 

I had something chocolate that was good. Anything chocolate on HAL is good. But the strawberry shortcake was disappointing. No strawberries in it, just a cluster of berries and glaze on the top, all of which had been served before the whole cake was gone. 

L2090927.JPG

• Thanks 1

My wife once followed the Elizabeth Taylor diet, which she said allows you to eat as much cake as you want, as long as you follow the main rule: if you eat cake at one meal, you can't eat other stuff that meal. 

Somehow we misses the cake day on our last couple of cruises, but we'll remember to be very careful in May.

16 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

My wife once followed the Elizabeth Taylor diet, which she said allows you to eat as much cake as you want, as long as you follow the main rule: if you eat cake at one meal, you can't eat other stuff that meal. 

Somehow we misses the cake day on our last couple of cruises, but we'll remember to be very careful in May.

I like that! Kind of a variation on "a balanced diet is a cupcake in each hand." Or cookie, or cocktail...

You may not have missed it. It seems to be fairly new.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, POA1 said:

I just reread the daily programs for our NS cruise in December. No mention in the events. Is it hidden in the Lido lunch menu? Or, on our sailing, were they just fakin' with no cake 'n' stuff?

Not hidden, it is listed as an event in the Daily. If you didn't see it listed for your Dec cruise on NS, no need for me to check mine since it was right before yours. The timing was probably right after our NS cruises and before my K'dam Christmas cruise - it's that new. But I am really looking forward to see what you get for Easter. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

That's all I need, more dessert as if my pants aren't getting smaller as is. They do look delicious. I do not have any will power.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

If there is only one sea day on a 7-day cruise, will cake day likely be on that day or skipped altogether?

Usually there are two sea days on a 7 day itinerary and the cake event is on the second sea day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

Usually there are two sea days on a 7 day itinerary and the cake event is on the second sea day. 

I understand that, however, since we only have one sea day on our upcoming cruise, will it be then or not at all?

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

When they have a Pie in the Sky party, they'll have my full attention. I'm not much on cake, but I do love good pie.

DH would have been happy to join you. His birthday "cake" every year was strawberry-rhubarb pie. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

I understand that, however, since we only have one sea day on our upcoming cruise, will it be then or not at all?

Hard to know, as it's new. Watch the Daily to see. Or maybe ask a Lido manager if you see one. They would know the schedule.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

When they have a Pie in the Sky party, they'll have my full attention. I'm not much on cake, but I do love good pie.

I could support a "Pie in the Sky" party.

And "Cake Me Away." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/16/2024 at 3:19 PM, nooligans said:

I was on the Eurodam last month, and am currently on the Nieuw Statendam. On both ships there is an event called “Cake Me Away” in the Lido on the last sea day. There are about 15 different kinds of cakes offered. You line up and can take slices from any cake. Here’s a photo from the Eurodam.

IMG_8546.jpeg

They let you cut the cake and serve yourself? We just got off the NS in Feb. and they cut the cake when you asked for a slice.

I am SOOOOOO happy to hear about this. Our Holland cruise is in just a few weeks.

I have been getting used to this on our last Princess cruises. Exactly the same, Last sea day of the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeLy_Beanz said:

They let you cut the cake and serve yourself? We just got off the NS in Feb. and they cut the cake when you asked for a slice.

You told them what cakes you wanted to try and they would give a large slice.  They were NOT cheap with the portions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeLy_Beanz said:

Yes on the NS and Eurodam they sliced it and served you 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'm very glad it's served by the staff!  I've seen other places where people cut and serve themselves cake and very quickly the cake turns into a huge unappetizing mess of crumbs and frosting blobs! 😮 

image.png.2d1dbb0d8085f9a4bf60c58f5907e61f.png

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, JeLy_Beanz said:

Oh. Ok it looked like in the pic, you just sliced and served yourself. 🤣

@nooligans I thought the same thing - your picture looks like the serving utensils are on the "public" side of the serving line. Are the servers on that side? The same side as the passengers?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ski ww said:

That's all I need, more dessert as if my pants aren't getting smaller as is. They do look delicious. I do not have any will power.  

"Will power"? Is that a new idiom being used? Something scary about the expression.