IS the "Wi-Fi" a wired option also (Ascent)?

Algoron

I've been trying to find the answer but have been have problems. I know what "Wi-Fi" means but I wasn't sure if it was literally "Wi-Fi" services vs an internet option. Can for example a laptop be connected, in your room, via a cable, hardwired? I doubt it due to the cost of that type of construction but, we are not sure. As far as signal, we will be on Ascent. Is it fairly strong for the deluxe option? Thanks in advance! and HOWDY!

2 minutes ago, Algoron said:

Can for example a laptop be connected, in your room, via a cable, hardwired? 

No.  Most use the term WiFi, but you're actually paying for wireless internet access.  Everyone can connect to the WiFi for free.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Everyone can connect to the WiFi for free.

...as the Celebrity app for its on board functions operates on the ship's wifi, which is a free service.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

I may have mixed up my thoughts here. I meant, Internet access to the outside world. The paid for service. I'm assuming wifi mentioned is a closed loop onboard setup. Is there a hardwired option or is it a password driven option via the app only?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Algoron said:

Is there a hardwired option 

No. You pay for internet which is accessed thru wifi. 

Edited by jwlane
  • Like 2

I don't think we understand your question. Yes, you connect to the service through your device's WiFi. There are wires on the ship connecting the WiFi access points to the ship's routers. The ship connects through its routers to Starlink, the low earth orbit satellite network. Exactly like your ISP at home, other than using Starlink instead of Comcast, Fios, or some other ISP. But there is no wired (ethernet) connection option from your device to the routers.

Are you concerned about internet security on the front end (wireless) connection?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cruise Gopher said:

You can also bring your own travel router and enable VPN on it and then plug your laptop into the travel router via Ethernet cable. 

...but there is no hardwired port to connect to in the staterooms, if that is what @Algoron is asking.  All internet access is wireless.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

...but there is no hardwired port to connect to in the staterooms, if that is what @Algoron is asking.  All internet access is wireless.

I know. But they aren’t being clear about WHY they are wanting to hard wire plug their computer into the Ethernet jack with a cable. 

Maybe they are bringing a full size desktop computer and monitor? 🤣

Edited by Cruise Gopher
  • Like 1

Guest Cable3232

Non-techy answer:

So all wireless devices can connect to the ship's wifi (wireless) and you will have no internet access but can access the celebrity app (menus, daily planner, etc) until you register the device for internet access (i.e. 1x device package then 1x device (MAC address) at a time, so you can swap from phone to laptop then back to phone).  

Techy Answer:

99% of things these days have a wireless option. The connection speed between the device and the WAP is not the limiting factor. It would be the ship-to-ground-based POP, even with Starlink. We need to be mindful that 4,000+ people are using wireless, and the onboard infrastructure will do traffic inspection and traffic shaping on your data packets.

Wireless infrastructure is cheap and easy to maintain, so you won't find any hardwired options in your room. Except for the WAP in your room (E-class ships, little round thing in the cupboard), I recommend you not start fiddling with ship property.

So, 4K streaming is patchy but not unheard of, but you will be buffering on streaming both in port and at sea. 

As other posters have said, if you can give more detail if these answers have not answered your question.

If you are looking for connection for gaming speeds, it isn't going to happen.  My son does the direct connection at home and that isn't going to be an option on the ship.   

The question as I read it.    The OP knows there is internet but wanting to know if there is a hard wire Ethernet option in addition to Wireless.

I think the answer is maybe.   In the "OLD Days"   in CS and above there was a computer terminal hard wired with Ethernet connection.    Also the TV's now operate as a dumb terminal and everything comes into the TV by Ethernet connection. 

I've tried the Ethernet connection in the Upper Suites and they are not connected any longer.

Having said all that a couple years ago I had a Royal Suite with really poor internet (pre Revolution)     They brought a Router to the room and plugged it into a wall Ethernet connection.   With the router I could either use Ethernet or wireless.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Also the TV's now operate as a dumb terminal and everything comes into the TV by Ethernet connection. 

You beat me to this... The TV is a *possible* connection point unless they have virtual LANs set up strictly for TV content.  It might work...I wouldn't count on it.  Still curious as to what the OP is really trying to do!

@Algoron...welcome to Cruise Critic!

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Having said all that a couple years ago I had a Royal Suite with really poor internet (pre Revolution)     They brought a Router to the room and plugged it into a wall Ethernet connection.

I had this same situation on Equinox where the IT manager had an access point placed in my Deluxe Veranda stateroom.  The Ethernet jack was located next to the power plugs on the desk.  Didn't try to direct connect to that jack.

Edited by wrk2cruise

18 hours ago, Algoron said:

an for example a laptop be connected, in your room, via a cable, hardwired?

F Y I -- Wi-Fi is an abbreviation for Wireless Fidelity. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You beat me to this... The TV is a *possible* connection point unless they have virtual LANs set up strictly for TV content.  It might work...I wouldn't count on it.  Still curious as to what the OP is really trying to do!

@Algoron...welcome to Cruise Critic!

Or it may be restricted.    I'm the President of our Home Owners Association.   We recently had Optical Gig installed.    Optical runs to the end of each building and then ethernet cables run to the roof and then are fed into each unit.    Our provider - Sail Internet controls access by using the MAC address of each units Router.     I also us a free account and provided Nest Router and can move it between buildings for targeted security cameras.     It recognizes the Router regardless of location in our mini - network.

I also upgraded my home router and wouldn't connect.   I had to call in and give them the new Mac Address.  Bam... worked instantly.

Edited by Jim_Iain

World is now wireless 

when I Reno the basement last year I pulled out the coaxial cable and Ethernet cable I have installed over the years 

I have so much cables and splitters that are useless laying around now 🤣

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

World is now wireless 

when I Reno the basement last year I pulled out the coaxial cable and Ethernet cable I have installed over the years 

I have so much cables and splitters that are useless laying around now 🤣

I took an alternate route.  When we had the house built, I dropped Ethernet cable in every room except the bathrooms.  I have a 16 port POE Ethernet switch as my core switch and power my Wireless Access Points with POE.  I also have 10-Gig on a couple of the Ethernet drops as well in my former home office.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I took an alternate route.  When we had the house built, I dropped Ethernet cable in every room except the bathrooms.  I have a 16 port POE Ethernet switch as my core switch and power my Wireless Access Points with POE.  I also have 10-Gig on a couple of the Ethernet drops as well in my former home office.  

Count me old school...this is the way I would go as well!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think my question was answered. I was wondering if ethernet was provided for a hard-wired experience in the staterooms. I was taking a tiny laptop to organize day pics into, look ahead to the next port, and to keep a log of our trip. I imagine the cost would have been the reason for Wi-Fi only. I just couldn't find the answer, until now! At our home it's much faster than Wi-Fi since it's a hard-wired connection. Most things use a connection these days; TVs, receivers, DVD players, refrigerators, laptops, desktops, fitness equipment, tablets, phones...the list goes on and on. Most of mine are ethernet to free up tablets and phones. Thanks for the suggestions and replies!

Edited by Algoron

20 hours ago, Algoron said:

At our home it's much faster than Wi-Fi since it's a hard-wired connection. Most things use a connection these days; TVs, receivers, DVD players, refrigerators, laptops, desktops, fitness equipment, tablets, phones...the list goes on and on. Most of mine are ethernet to free up tablets and phones. Thanks for the suggestions and replies!

You can get Wi-Fi networks approaching gigabit ethernet speeds these days.  I use wired for most things, especially to my network attached storage where i keep all my backups.  Even with some of my older devices Wi-Fi is still faster than my Comcast/Xfinity internet service.  

23 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

You can get Wi-Fi networks approaching gigabit ethernet speeds these days.  I use wired for most things, especially to my network attached storage where i keep all my backups.  Even with some of my older devices Wi-Fi is still faster than my Comcast/Xfinity internet service.  

I have gigabit fiber and the WiFi 6 router shows 940 MBPS over the ethernet but over WiFi download is 483 mbps  and upload is 553 mbps. My laptop is WiFi 6 but it just won't get higher over WiFi. If I do a wired connection much faster but really I don't bother as I don't need it. If I had a desktop I would plug it in. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 2:32 PM, DaKahuna said:

Same with me.   Comes in hand now that I have Fiber.   I get much higher speeds when hard wired (not that I often need that speed)  and also used the Ethernet connection to link my mesh routers.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Same with me.   Comes in hand now that I have Fiber.   I get much higher speeds when hard wired (not that I often need that speed)  and also used the Ethernet connection to link my mesh routers.

Fiber is just now coming to our neighborhood and I have not decided if I want to switch or not.  I get almost published speeds (800Mbps down25Mpbs up) on my current services. 

image.png.ba032a648e70e798c91e96788e4dbf28.png

If I was still working I would upgrade to fiber for the symmetrical 1Gbps service but for my home use this is fine.  I am no longer moving gigabytes of data over the internet any longer.