Emissions

Coming to a Cruise Ship near you?

The Pyxis Ocean has set sail to test EU-funded WindWings technology that will bring cutting edge wind propulsion to commercial shipping for the first time.  

CHEK project launch of Pyxis Ocean

On 3/19/2024 at 10:33 AM, colourbird said:

Just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's bad or there is anything wrong with it.

Massive sized ships are obviously popular as they keep building more of them, which they wouldn't if they couldn't get people to sail on them

I haven't tried a really big ship yet, but my instinct says I wouldn't like it as much as smaller ships, for a couple of reasons. One is the distance needed to get between places on the ship. I have limited mobility and can't use the stairs. I can walk around on ships without  walking aids, but I do need to factor in the distance between say, my cabin, the lifts and the dining rooms or the theatre.

The other is the sheer size problem of shore visits. Getting several thousand people ashore in a limited time must be more difficult on big ships. It may also be a factor in whether some smaller cities decide they do not want visits from cruise ships because of the large numbers of people all arriving at once?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, arxcards said:

I am starting to smell methane in here already, from a different source of emission.

Methane & methanol are not the same thing 🙂 

That said, it would be a good thing if a cruise-ship could be powered by methane - a herd of cows down on deck 0 could power the ship & provide milk and beef. The by-product may present an issue though - perhaps they would need to be housed on the poop deck! 😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I haven't tried a really big ship yet, but my instinct says I wouldn't like it as much as smaller ships, for a couple of reasons. One is the distance needed to get between places on the ship. I have limited mobility and can't use the stairs. I can walk around on ships without  walking aids, but I do need to factor in the distance between say, my cabin, the lifts and the dining rooms or the theatre.

The other is the sheer size problem of shore visits. Getting several thousand people ashore in a limited time must be more difficult on big ships. It may also be a factor in whether some smaller cities decide they do not want visits from cruise ships because of the large numbers of people all arriving at once?

For me, distance between things is good. I wake up every day at 4am and start walking around the ship from 4.20am till 7am for breakfast and do lots of walking all day long and never use lifts. I'm looking forward to Icon with more places to walk around and explore. When I was on Vista as it was so small, I managed to work out a 10 minute lap of the upper decks / jogging track, up and down stairs at the front and rear which made it a really good walk with lots of different views (once the sun came up) (although I had Venus keeping me company for most of the cruise). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

That said, it would be a good thing if a cruise-ship could be powered by methane - a herd of cows down on deck 0 could power the ship & provide milk and beef. The by-product may present an issue though - perhaps they would need to be housed on the poop deck! 😮

Who needs cows when you get almost as much gas from the pax, just need to source the meat and milk elsewhere.

• Haha 2

Ok, I'm going to say it:

I don't care a whole lot about emissions when I go on holiday.

I don't attend or support such nonsense as car races, but I do not feel any guilt for taking an occasional flight or a cruise every now and then.

I get annoyed when airline reviews talk about "carbon emissions " before they mention the service or - God forbid- a price.

To be asked to pay a "carbon offset fee" myst be the biggest scam in history. 

A "white, middle-class problem.

WE should "do something about it".

Meanwhile, most of Asia and Africa (with probably a handful of exceptions) don't give a damn. Don't care, or say they can't afford. Let the rich Europeans, Americans and Australians deal with it.

Sorry. Rant over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Ok, I'm going to say it:

I don't care a whole lot about emissions when I go on holiday.

I don't attend or support such nonsense as car races, but I do not feel any guilt for taking an occasional flight or a cruise every now and then.

I get annoyed when airline reviews talk about "carbon emissions " before they mention the service or - God forbid- a price.

A "white, middle-class problem.

WE should "do something about it".

Meanwhile, most of Asia and Africa (with probably a handful of exceptions) don't give a damn. Don't care, or say they can't afford. Let the rich Europeans, Americans and Australians deal with it.

Sorry. Rant over.

It doesn’t matter if we like it or not it’s something we just have to deal with .

Just like tax ,we just have to deal with it .

56 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t know about this for cruise ships but it’s Bill Gates and Hyundai behind it .

🤦‍♂️😨😱

43 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

It can be a scam but sometimes it is not. I saw a War On Waste episode where they talked to an Aboriginal community in QLD who get funding from airline carbon offsets to maintain and monitor a large tract of forest and mangrove. It provides funding for scientific research, keeps people employed and stops the destruction of natural habitat. That was something I thought I would be happy to carbon offset unfortunately airlines never tell you where the money is going so while that was a legitimate operation as they showed on 4 Corners last year there are some dodgy ones too🙄. In theory carbon offsets can work but there needs to be real transparency. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t know about this for cruise ships but it’s Bill Gates and Hyundai behind it .

Sounds like another Silicon Valley billionaire pipe dream😂

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

No kidding professor. 😁

Methanol cigarettes are also bad for your health 😉

Methane is emitting from the pile of horseship innuendo being posted on this topic

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

It can be a scam but sometimes it is not. I saw a War On Waste episode where they talked to an Aboriginal community in QLD who get funding from airline carbon offsets to maintain and monitor a large tract of forest and mangrove. It provides funding for scientific research, keeps people employed and stops the destruction of natural habitat. That was something I thought I would be happy to carbon offset unfortunately airlines never tell you where the money is going so while that was a legitimate operation as they showed on 4 Corners last year there are some dodgy ones too🙄. In theory carbon offsets can work but there needs to be real transparency. 

AnswersIlike😉

• Haha 1

The mighty dollar talks.. for now. 

Cruise ships are not exactly endeared by the public in NZ.. and I'm sure many would like to see them gone altogether. Reading the article and seeing just how bad they are.. does make me cringe a bit and I'm obviously guilty of having partaken. You might find at some point.. a country such as NZ with a green-coalition and not as much invested in the industry, says.. 'nup.. no more'. But I can't see countries with big dollars invested in the cruise industry turning them away. I think they're too big of a thing in Aussie to get rid of. I don't think the writing is on the wall for cruising.. nowhere near it in the near-future. For now they can get away with virtue signaling..  but it's going to have to change at some point in the decades to come. At some point as global warming etc ramps up and the bigger economies get more serious.. the cruise industry has a major problem coming. I wouldn't be buying shares in them for the long-haul lol 🙂 

• Haha 1

Fuel efficiency is getting better with newer cruise ships, but the ships are getting larger, which requires more fuel, and it wouldn't surprise me if the net effect is close to zero.  The shipping industry needs to accelerate the improvements on fuel efficiency and emission standards.

That being said, when I moved to Australia from the US I was shocked by the lack of emission standards here in NSW.  I'm getting tired of driving behind cars and utes spewing noxious smoke.  And with the increasing popularity of American-sized pick up trucks, things are only going to get worse.  Why do we have to import the worst of the US?

(slightly off-topic rant over)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

Fuel efficiency is getting better with newer cruise ships, but the ships are getting larger, which requires more fuel, and it wouldn't surprise me if the net effect is close to zero.  The shipping industry needs to accelerate the improvements on fuel efficiency and emission standards.

That being said, when I moved to Australia from the US I was shocked by the lack of emission standards here in NSW.  I'm getting tired of driving behind cars and utes spewing noxious smoke.  And with the increasing popularity of American-sized pick up trucks, things are only going to get worse.  Why do we have to import the worst of the US?

(slightly off-topic rant over)

I think we at Euro 5 which is behind the developed world. I think we are going to jump to Euro 8 or something in the new year.

But for off road or at sea we are at nothing.

On 3/20/2024 at 11:17 AM, colourbird said:

For me, distance between things is good. I wake up every day at 4am and start walking around the ship from 4.20am till 7am for breakfast and do lots of walking all day long and never use lifts. I'm looking forward to Icon with more places to walk around and explore. When I was on Vista as it was so small, I managed to work out a 10 minute lap of the upper decks / jogging track, up and down stairs at the front and rear which made it a really good walk with lots of different views (once the sun came up) (although I had Venus keeping me company for most of the cruise). 

I wish my body allowed me to do such things. I need to use a walker just to safely get around at home. I like small ships, for an obvious reason.

As for the mega-ships, I don't think that Australia/NZ has the cruising population to support those.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JVes said:

As for the mega-ships, I don't think that Australia/NZ has the cruising population to support those.

I guess it depends on how many people from countries other than Australia and New Zealand are prepared to fly long distances to connect with the ships in South Pacific waters.  I know Australians accept that they will have a nasty long flight to get almost anywhere in the world, but maybe that is a deal breaker for those from Europe and North America?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I guess it depends on how many people from countries other than Australia and New Zealand are prepared to fly long distances to connect with the ships in South Pacific waters.  I know Australians accept that they will have a nasty long flight to get almost anywhere in the world, but maybe that is a deal breaker for those from Europe and North America?

I've talked to many people who want to come to Australia 'some day'. And for them, yes, the travel time is a deal breaker.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, JVes said:

I've talked to many people who want to come to Australia 'some day'. And for them, yes, the travel time is a deal breaker.

But many still come. We did a few NZ cruises on Celebrity pre-pandemic and there were a lot of people from either the US or the UK on those cruises, a higher percentage than I expected. It's not so noticeable on the Australia or South Pacific itineraries though.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

You are going to love this one !!

Its only resent and this is what the cruise lines are up against.

I think it was put together by Rod and his mates ,what did he call cruise ships?  Floating disease infested garbage cans .

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Haha 1

Boring! only one side of the story again.

You can find anything you want on the internet. 

no matter what your agenda is you can always find thousands of articles to back up your arguments.

Daz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

You are going to love this one !!

Its only resent and this is what the cruise lines are up against.

I think it was put together by Rod and his mates ,what did he call cruise ships?  Floating disease infested garbage cans .

Question for this guy: how much stuff does a non-floating city of 10K people use/generate?
Wow: probably about the same as the floating city of comparable size!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, quite a few gastro outbreaks reported lately for clubs, restaurants and food courts around Australia.

There's more gastro / covid etc... on land than on ships, but it isn't newsworthy.

• Like 1