Live from Oosterdam, Santiago-FLL through the Canal!

Fun fact….Santiago, Chile has two different cruise ports! Valparaiso and San Antonio. I didn’t realize till I fortunately saw mention of it just a couple of days before sailing. If you depart from here, make sure you know which one (HAL makes that easy) but make especially sure your transfer driver knows!

IMG_8001.jpeg

checking in was pretty quick and easy, because of me being conservative about transit time from Santiago I arrived 45 minutes before the Noon schedule, but was able to start checking in after waiting less than ten minutes after arrival. My room was ready, and I was relaxing in my balcony stateroom minutes after Noon. Headed up to the Lido for roast beef, corn, and cauliflower.

IMG_8005.jpeg

IMG_8011.jpeg

I took full advantage of the wonderful view from my stern veranda…

IMG_8018.jpeg

I couldn’t log onto the internet, and had to go to customer service who quickly sorted it out. I stopped and made some dining reservations, and was surprised to pass the library. Spacious and attractive, but I’m not sure the selection is that great!

IMG_8024.jpeg

IMG_8023.jpeg

hopefully, I will have more interesting shots after a port call or two!

IMG_8008.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Mike,

I am looking forward to following you, as we are on the 11/14-12/1/24 Oosterdam from FLL to Santiago. Nothing quite as good as up-to-date tips and tricks! Thanks for taking the time to do this and wishing you smooth cruising.

@Mike B Landlubber We had an extraordinary time on the Oosterdam in February.  The crew and Captain Kevin were outstanding.  We were happy that we had fixed dining, the servers were great and the food was delicious.  I look forward to your posts.

Posted (edited)

Looking forward to following along to see what HAL has to offer on longer cruises. We just got finished doing a B2B RT San Antonio on the Sapphire Princess (see expanded area below) and ran into the issue where the San Antonio port was closed at the last minute due to high seas on embarkation day and wound up cruising out of Valparaiso. Luckily, we had booked a cruise line transfer from Santiago which allowed us to avoid the last minute stress of going to the wrong port. Well, that assumes the driver was told of the last minute change, which he was. 😂

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Posted (edited)

A few more shots. The main dining room on two levels. A interior view of the passenger terminal. The name “Explorer Africa” caught my imagination, but The reality of a mundane bulk carrier didn’t! 😉

IMG_8051.jpeg

IMG_8008.jpeg

IMG_8044.jpeg

Edited by Mike B Landlubber
  • Like 4

@Mike B Landlubber Hi Mike we have been on the Oosterdam a few times. I hope you enjoy your cruise.  I will be on this trip in November going the opposite direction.  I will be going to Santiago in April and doing a cruise Santiago to NJ.  I look forward to following your adventures. Bon Voyage

Awesome cruise on a great ship!

We did that cruise last March...had a blast..Loved South America....Looking forward to following this....good times.

(Also, we board her after you and head to Europe!)

Have fun and keep posting!

24 minutes ago, cabinluvn said:

On this trip with you. The new library is awesome. Brought my kindle but didn’t need to. Selection is outstanding 

Glad it is good. I was just stopped for a couple of happy snaps and feared it might be too spread out!

2 hours ago, cabinluvn said:

On this trip with you. The new library is awesome. Brought my kindle but didn’t need to. Selection is outstandingGlad it is good. I was just stopped for a couple of happy snaps and feared it might be too spread out!

Posted (edited)

A dreary morning, but the Sun came out in the afternoon. We saw fishing boats and more Coquimbo Harbor. In the background on the other shore, you can see The Cross of the Third Millenium, erected in 2001, and on the near shore, you very appropriately see Saint Peter here with his fellow fishermen. Pete wears a knit wool cap, which is supposed to give good luck to fishermen….

IMG_8057.jpeg

IMG_8059.jpeg

This tree seemed kind of spooky. I had the feeling if I got too close, I might not get back on the bus, let alone the ship!

IMG_8060.jpeg

Easter Island is a dependency of Chile, so they brought one of the famous stone heads to a mainland museum. Vastly easier to get to than the lengthy flight to Easter Island, but it’s vastly less impressive as well.

IMG_8073.jpeg

Street musician…

DSC06191.jpeg

After a hard day of “excursing”, what could be better than a hot dog and shake at The Dive In to cap the afternoon!

IMG_8083.jpeg

• Like 7

Looking forward to follow you on this sailing. We are also boarding after you and sailing her to Europe. Are you going into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale? Was confused on the title of this thread.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

I goofed when I set up the thread! I fly home from Miami after the cruise, but it actually does end in FLL! Unfortunately, my window to changing after I post is very short and I can’t do anything about it now.

No worries Mike. It's all good. Just was a bit confused. 

3 hours ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

what could be better than a hot dog and shake at The Dive In to cap the afternoon!

Do you have the HIA package?  If so, maybe you can help.  There has been some debate about milkshakes and fresh squeezed orange juice being included in the package.  Were you charged?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Do you have the HIA package?  If so, maybe you can help.  There has been some debate about milkshakes and fresh squeezed orange juice being included in the package.  Were you charged?

As it happens, I have HIA and I asked for fresh-squeezed OJ this morning, and obviously had a shake this afternoon. No charges for either yet. I will watch my account to see if anything shows up, it has only been a few hours since the shake. I had post-midnight munchies and ordered room service last night and I see there is a $5.90 charge for that (which seems more than reasonable to me). That’s my only non-routine charge so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

I goofed when I set up the thread! I fly home from Miami after the cruise, but it actually does end in FLL! Unfortunately, my window to changing after I post is very short and I can’t do anything about it now.

If you hover over the three dots at the top of your post and select 'report' you can ask the moderators to change the title. 

I  have sent a report, but to change the title of the thread it may be better if you do it.

1 hour ago, Wehwalt said:

Thanks for the blog. Would you consider posting the occasional daily program, especially from a sea day? We are on the sailing after you.

Your wish is my command, Sahib! Attached are the schedules from today (port day) and tomorrow (Sea day). The schedule that starts with setting clocks back is the sea day. Remind me a time or two over the next couple of weeks and I’ll try to post others.

IMG_1648.jpeg

IMG_1649.jpeg

IMG_1654.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

I had post-midnight munchies and ordered room service last night and I see there is a $5.90 charge for that (which seems more than reasonable to me). That’s my only no -routine charge so far.

I thought room service was free.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Live from Oosterdam, Santiago-FLL through the Canal!
1 minute ago, FLCruiser97 said:

I thought room service was free.

My recollection is that many items are free but there is a charge for some. The food was good and delivered quickly at 2 or 3 am, so I feel I came out ahead on the deal! 😉

• Like 1

There would be a charge for soda or alcoholic beverages from room service (never included with a beverage package) but based on the amount you quoted, I would guess you got something from the Dive In section which is $5 plus the 18% service charge ($5.90 total). I’ve never done that but putting it on my list!

• Like 1

For anyone interested, here is the all-night room service menu. I had the chicken quesadilla and a chocolate milk for $5.90. I suspect the charge was for the chocolate milk. Food arrived commendably fast. The quesadilla was good, and I’ll do it again without hesitation. Good job by the staff.

IMG_1655.png

• Thanks 1