Getaway cruise Istanbul question .

Hi everyone, we are taking a one week Mediterranean cruise in the summer with a stop in Istanbul. We are doing the 8 1/2 hour day trip which includes the blue mosque and Hagia Sophia. From what I have read the knees and elbows need to be covered to enter these sites, however, in July I’m assuming it will be very hot does that mean we shouldn’t wear shorts during the excursion? Thank you for your input. 😊

Posted (edited)

And I believe the females need to wear something on their head.  Most use a lightweight scarf.  And everyone removes their shoes.  So you might want to be wearing socks.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

44 minutes ago, Helen1981 said:

Hi everyone, we are taking a one week Mediterranean cruise in the summer with a stop in Istanbul. We are doing the 8 1/2 hour day trip which includes the blue mosque and Hagia Sophia. From what I have read the knees and elbows need to be covered to enter these sites, however, in July I’m assuming it will be very hot does that mean we shouldn’t wear shorts during the excursion? Thank you for your input. 😊

https://walksinistanbul.com/dress-code-mosques-istanbul/

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, drew69 said:

That is correct.  Shorts are inappropriate in a mosque.  Lightweight cotton pants or a longer cotton dress or skirt

Many (boys and girls) carry a light weight scarf to wrap around their waist for the time they are in churches. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 11:28 AM, Helen1981 said:

We are in Istanbul too in May and I wanted to take a a tour in the city but haven't started to investigate it. Would you mind sharing the company you selected and how they price their 8 1/2 hour trip? Thanks 

On 3/22/2024 at 11:28 AM, Helen1981 said:

Hi everyone, we are taking a one week Mediterranean cruise in the summer with a stop in Istanbul. We are doing the 8 1/2 hour day trip which includes the blue mosque and Hagia Sophia. From what I have read the knees and elbows need to be covered to enter these sites,

I think its shoulders. Women also need to cover their hair. A sun hat is acceptable. At the Sophia theres a big lobby where you take off your shoes before you go into the sanctuary.  For the shoe thingy theres nowhere to sit down so carry something to stand on. They give you a bag to put your shoes in and then you place them in a cubbyhole We got 2 of them We took our socks off too and used wet ones later to wipe our feet. The floor is not friendly to socks

34 minutes ago, sailingships said:  For the shoe thingy theres nowhere to sit down so carry something to stand on. The floor is not friendly to socks

Could you explain further. What do you mean by carrying something to stand on. And, what is the flooring? I’m going in Sept. 2024. Thanks! 

The floor is layers of rugs, that thousands of people have walked on barefoot. So yes it wasn't nice, I too brought wet wipes to wipe our feet before putting our socks back on. 

Think about pre check at TSA, thousands of people have to take their shoes off and walk thru the check out line then put their shoes back on! Pretty much the same thing!

We were given a bag to carry our shoes and socks, we did not have any place to sit to take off or put our shoes on so we knew this and wore slip on shoes.

We went in July and it was blistering hot, I wore a cotton dress that covered my shoulders and my knees. I brought a very lightweight scarf to cover my head, yes women must cover their heads. I did not see sun hats as an option.

My husband wore khaki pants and a short sleeve button down shirt

21 minutes ago, mcmomny said:

The floor is layers of rugs, that thousands of people have walked on barefoot. So yes it wasn't nice, I too brought wet wipes to wipe our feet before putting our socks back on. 

Think about pre check at TSA, thousands of people have to take their shoes off and walk thru the check out line then put their shoes back on! Pretty much the same thing!

We were given a bag to carry our shoes and socks, we did not have any place to sit to take off or put our shoes on so we knew this and wore slip on shoes.

We went in July and it was blistering hot, I wore a cotton dress that covered my shoulders and my knees. I brought a very lightweight scarf to cover my head, yes women must cover their heads. I did not see sun hats as an option.

My husband wore khaki pants and a short sleeve button down shirt

Oh, my! I loathe for my feet to get dirty! It’s almost a phobia thing. That’s why I have TSA pre-check; you don’t have to take your shoes off.

I’m not really much of a dress person, except to church. I guess I’ll wear a pair of crop or long cotton pants. I’ll have to get some khaki long pants for my husband, or try to get him to wear his jeans. He usually likes to wear shorts or jeans on vacation.

• Like 1

We were in Istanbul on the Epic this past November.  Full coverage is only required while in the mosques.  If you are worried about being too hot, I recommend wearing your shorts  and t-shirt and carrying a pull on skirt and light weight long sleeve shirt in your backpack or tote to pull over your clothes while at the Holy sites.  Socks are a pair of footies are a definite "MUST" as you are required to remove your shoes or sandals before entering.  Scarves for ladies are available, but, for me, I found a used scarf not appealing and instead added a simple silk scarf to my outfit which I pulled over my head while in the mosque.  Have fun.  Istanbul is a beautiful city!

4 hours ago, OhioJourneys said:

We were in Istanbul on the Epic this past November.  Full coverage is only required while in the mosques.  If you are worried about being too hot, I recommend wearing your shorts  and t-shirt and carrying a pull on skirt and light weight long sleeve shirt in your backpack or tote to pull over your clothes while at the Holy sites.  Socks are a pair of footies are a definite "MUST" as you are required to remove your shoes or sandals before entering.  Scarves for ladies are available, but, for me, I found a used scarf not appealing and instead added a simple silk scarf to my outfit which I pulled over my head while in the mosque.  Have fun.  Istanbul is a beautiful city!

Thank you! I’m excited. I’ll just carry a cheap pair of footies with me to wear and toss! 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 9:01 PM, roddy good boy said:

Could you explain further. What do you mean by carrying something to stand on. And, what is the flooring? I’m going in Sept. 2024. Thanks! 

The flooring is not clean. There go your nice white socks etc.

• Thanks 1

All mosques have those requirements.  I went to the Citadel in Cairo.  I always wear skirts or dresses so no issue on the knees and shoulders.  I used the cheap footie socks you get at the hospitals and airline business class.  I did have a scarf for my head, but they also have ones you can borrow. 

It is a sacred place. most of the churches in the world have similar requirements. 

Forget about the carpets, the heat, and the crowds and take a moment to let it all in.  Just think of all the people that have come before you for hundreds of years to connect with their god.  It can be a very spiritual experience.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kd1044 said:

All mosques have those requirements.  I went to the Citadel in Cairo.  I always wear skirts or dresses so no issue on the knees and shoulders.  I used the cheap footie socks you get at the hospitals and airline business class.  I did have a scarf for my head, but they also have ones you can borrow. 

It is a sacred place. most of the churches in the world have similar requirements. 

Forget about the carpets, the heat, and the crowds and take a moment to let it all in.  Just think of all the people that have come before you for hundreds of years to connect with their god.  It can be a very spiritual experience.

Enjoy!

Absolutely, this! Travel is about experiencing other's cultures. Certainly your feet have been bare (or socked) on carpet before. There's so much elitism in this thread. Go and enjoy or stay at home and watch your TV. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Absolutely, this! Travel is about experiencing other's cultures. Certainly your feet have been bare (or socked) on carpet before. There's so much elitism in this thread. Go and enjoy or stay at home and watch your TV. 

How is this helpful, kind, necessary or edifying in any way? Certainly, I enjoy other cultures, or I wouldn’t have travelled all over the world! I have actually been to Turkey, previously. I 

haven’t had an opportunity to visit Istanbul. I don’t like to be barefoot on carpeting in hotels, state side. It’s a personal issue, not an anything else! Social media allows folks to be so insulting!

Edited by roddy good boy
  • Haha 1