Returning to Cruising

28 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

On our current Iona cruise the biggest change we are noticing is the number of overweight passengers there are on board, and quite a number could described as morbidly obese, some quite young but mainly among the elderly retired. So it appears that the withdrawal of trays might have reduced wastage, but possibly the passengers are now eating it all rather than leaving it!!

The age range of all passengers goes from very young families right up to the very elderly, so no significant noticeable change in the age demographic for a 14 nt winter sun cruise.

The more you eat the better value the cruise.😁

• Haha 2

Another change in the menus is the number of vegetarian and vegan choices which drastically reduces the meat and fish options. As more than 80% of people eat meat and fish this seems unbalanced to me. They shoould offer a separate vegetarian and vegan menu.

• Like 6

On 3/24/2024 at 2:36 PM, terrierjohn said:

On our current Iona cruise the biggest change we are noticing is the number of overweight passengers there are on board, and quite a number could described as morbidly obese, some quite young but mainly among the elderly retired. So it appears that the withdrawal of trays might have reduced wastage, but possibly the passengers are now eating it all rather than leaving it!!

The age range of all passengers goes from very young families right up to the very elderly, so no significant noticeable change in the age demographic for a 14 nt winter sun cruise.

Overweight passengers listen I am the correct weight but the wrong height, if I was 3ft taller my weight would be perfect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Posted (edited)

I have read this thread with interest.

I first sailed with P&O in 1997 having previously sailed with Cunard and Costa. They were not cheap but represented fair value for money. Whilst I continued to sail with other lines P&O became my first port of call. Over the next 20+ years I sailed with them around 40 times and at times attained the Baltic tier of the Peninsular Club. Over the years however, I have noticed a steady deterioration in the cruise experience; mainly little things which taken in isolation are of no great consequence but which taken together and cumulatively represent a gradual slide from up market luxury to cheap and cheerful. P&O undoubtedly now provide excellent value for money, but the overall cruise experience is no longer what it was. But to get the latter, you need to be able and prepared to pay significantly more. In real terms, similar to what P&O charged 30 years ago and what Saga, Viking etc charge now!

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Denarius said:

I first sailed with P&O in 1997 having previously sailed with Cunard and Costa. They were not cheap but represented fair value for money. Whilst I continued to sail with other lines P&O became my first port of call. Over the next 20+ years I sailed with them around 40 times and at times attained the Baltic tier of the Peninsular Club. Over the years however, I have noticed a steady deterioration in the cruise experience; mainly little things which taken in isolation are of no great consequence but which taken together and cumulatively represent a gradual slide from up market luxury to cheap and cheerful. P&O undoubtedly now provide excellent value for money, but the overall cruise experience is no longer what it was. But to get the latter, you need to be able and prepared to pay significantly more. In real terms, similar to what P&O charged 30 years ago and what Saga, Viking etc charge now!

The problem is how will the new cruisers know what they missed without ever experiencing it, they go on a cruise enjoy themselves not burdened by what the older generations had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

The problem is how will the new cruisers know what they missed without ever experiencing it, they go on a cruise enjoy themselves not burdened by what the older generations had.

And that is the whole point that P&O rely on. having said that the same applies to all cruise lines and always has.

My first P&O cruise was in 1996 on Oriana shortly after she entered the fleet and apart from the "She's not like Canberra" comments I have no idea what things were like on P&O before then but accepted is as the norm.

15 minutes ago, david63 said:

And that is the whole point that P&O rely on. having said that the same applies to all cruise lines and always has.

My first P&O cruise was in 1996 on Oriana shortly after she entered the fleet and apart from the "She's not like Canberra" comments I have no idea what things were like on P&O before then but accepted is as the norm.

Totally agree with your comments, we came to cruising late and really enjoyed the experience, then I joined this forum to find out what others have lost, to us to be honest it didn't matter all that mattered was we enjoyed the experience.

• Like 2

Yes standards have dropped but isn’t this just life in general?

I used to get a three course meal included with every short haul flight and never imagined having to pay for a suitcase.

Beefeater restaurants used to include a roll and butter and either ice cream or cheese and biscuits with the main course.

I think every company has trimmed their services to the basics and then it’s up to the individual if they wish to add the extras like speciality restaurants.
I can’t see P&O going back to their golden era now. If they had one ship which included all the extra niceties like the pillow chocolates etc, would you all prefer it and be happy to pay the extra fare? I’m not sure if I would, although it would depend on the itinerary.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Leomins said:

Yes standards have dropped but isn’t this just life in general?

I used to get a three course meal included with every short haul flight and never imagined having to pay for a suitcase.

Beefeater restaurants used to include a roll and butter and either ice cream or cheese and biscuits with the main course.

I think every company has trimmed their services to the basics and then it’s up to the individual if they wish to add the extras like speciality restaurants.
I can’t see P&O going back to their golden era now. If they had one ship which included all the extra niceties like the pillow chocolates etc, would you all prefer it and be happy to pay the extra fare? I’m not sure if I would, although it would depend on the itinerary.

Just what I had been thinking.  If we stayed in a Holiday Inn more than twenty years ago, we got silver service for dinner and a far better menu than we would expect now.  Prices were far higher for their meals though, so no different to P&O and is now what a lot of people are happy with if the prices are right.  There are plenty of other cruise lines and hotels which provide better service, but at very different prices.  Same with everything in life, you get what you pay for. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I agree things have changed over the years. I started cruising in 1996 and have sailed regularly since then on 6 different cruise lines. I have seen the whole cruising experience become less of an 'Experience'. 

I usually read or watch reviews before going on a new ship to try to assess what to expect. What I notice is that the 4 or 5 star reviews usually begin with - Really loved this, couldn't find fault, it was my first cruise, can't wait for my next .......

The 2 and 3 star reviews, or the more critical ones are written by more seasoned cruisers that have something to compare it to. I think that says it all. 

But P&O will be doing okay as they want lots of new, younger, cruisers and families and the lower prices are helping to fill their ships.

I know there will be things that disappoint me, but it will cost me less too. I prefer the cruises of old, especially for the food choices which I really miss. But if I knew no different I would probably say it's fine. I totally agree that Vegetarian / vegan choices have reduced the menu down for the 95% that like to eat meat. That is totally disproportionate and it was much better to offer a separate menu and go back to the number of choices available on the regular menu.

Times change...

Edited by enjoysailing
  • Like 5

Guys... you know that you are allowed to eat a vegan mean even if you aren't vegan right?

There certainly has been a bit of gradual erosion to the experience and a move downmarket as P&O and others try to not only replace the 'traditional' cruise market who are dying but grow as well. In order to survive/thrive they need to appeal to younger solos/couples/families and many people are really struggling financially.

As time goes on there may be a greater and greater divide between 'mass' and 'upmarket' lines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

Guys... you know that you are allowed to eat a vegan mean even if you aren't vegan right?

There certainly has been a bit of gradual erosion to the experience and a move downmarket as P&O and others try to not only replace the 'traditional' cruise market who are dying but grow as well. In order to survive/thrive they need to appeal to younger solos/couples/families and many people are really struggling financially.

As time goes on there may be a greater and greater divide between 'mass' and 'upmarket' lines.

I am vegan, I will never hurt a vegetable 

Vegan food? Allowed, yes, but enjoy?… rarely, and for my husband, never. I don’t choose to go on a cruise, and pay several £000 to be almost forced into eating food that is a lifestyle choice by a minority.  I save up hard to go on a cruise once a year, mortgage is tough, salary is tough, etc etc. We expect decent meal choices, sometimes the MDR had just ONE meat option. We ended up in the buffet which ironically was better.  We usually choose Aurora, but will be trying Iona this year, as the food choices on Aurora were so bad last year, and my husband thinks it's worth seeing if Iona is better.  Last year was our first cruise since covid, and the cutbacks were very noticeable.  I did make a list of all the cutbacks, but cannot currently find it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

With all due respect to those who prefer to be meat free (vegetarian) or meat and dairy, honey etc free (vegan) turn that statement around. 

Guys… you know that you are allowed to eat a carnivore menu even if you aren’t a carnivore, right?

It works both ways. 

• Like 8

On 3/26/2024 at 7:01 PM, Denarius said:

Fortunately lots of the stuffy old folk have deserted to Saga etc. The World moves on.

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

With all due respect to those who prefer to be meat free (vegetarian) or meat and dairy, honey etc free (vegan) turn that statement around. 

Guys… you know that you are allowed to eat a carnivore menu even if you aren’t a carnivore, right?

It works both ways. 

I often eat Vegan food,  I just have some meat with it as well.

• Haha 8

Meh, I'm not vegan but I eat vegan meals reasonably regularly. It's not 1980, it's not a choice between a dozen meat containing meals or a salad anymore. I really don't care about this enough to get involved in an argument so if people say that there was only one meal choice that was not vegan in the MDR, well, okay sure.

In the end the only thing to do is vote with your feet and book elsewhere with a line that has suitable menus.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

Meh, I'm not vegan but I eat vegan meals reasonably regularly. It's not 1980, it's not a choice between a dozen meat containing meals or a salad anymore. I really don't care about this enough to get involved in an argument so if people say that there was only one meal choice that was not vegan in the MDR, well, okay sure.

In the end the only thing to do is vote with your feet and book elsewhere with a line that has suitable menus.

I eat vegetarian food most of the time as well but enjoy the odd bit of fish or steak occasionally but I recognise the need for a decent range of choice for everyone.

We don’t tend to argue on here, we offer alternative points of view as, you have, and discuss them in a civilised manner (well most of those on CC do anyway and if they don’t Host Sharon is ever vigilant).

Voting with your feet is an interesting point and while it’s valid there is more to it.

P&O have actively encouraged people to be loyal to their brand and many have over decades which now earns them significant perks. Were they simply to walk away they would lose these advantages after years of loyalty and tens of thousands of pounds spent with the company.

Another possibility is P&O listening to genuine customer feedback.

MSC offer a loyalty match but they are one of the few cruise brands to do so. I took them up on it and now travel regularly in the Yacht Club which offers better food and service etc but at a much higher price. I also choose to travel with P&O but just not nearly as often as I used to and when they offer something of interest.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

Many up market restaurants have reduced choice and increased prices.  We used to get ice cream included,  but now need to buy as an extra. We still go to the Harvester though. We could go even more upmarket, but the roof collapsed in the beefeater....don't start me off about the Wimpy.🍔🍟

Edited by zap99

8 hours ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

We are of on Arvia soon. Lots of restaurants to choose from. Many are casual and informal, which we enjoy. I don't think We will stop sailing with P&O because the food is too formal, casual etc. Apparently there are plenty of green beans, so Vegans won't go hungry.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

It works both ways. 

The always available sirloin is now down now 5oz, so P&O must have been listening to Vegans🤣

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Bazrat said:

We didn't start cruising untill 2000. Island escape started. Informal. No faff. Not stuck up. That'll do. Gin and It on the Captains table...if you were very lucky never did appeal.

17 hours ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

Am going to say this and duck for cover but if people are really struggling I find it odd that they spend thousands on a cruise. What exactly does struggling mean? It should mean having what you can afford and not what you want but in today's world I don't think it does. 

I want to go on a Celebrity Edge cruise again but we can't afford the prices they are charging at the moment. Does this mean that Celebrity need to dumb down their offer for me? Sadly no .. we have to save up and see if our circumstances change. 

• Like 9