Passport Expiration Date Not 6 months from cruise boarding date

indexcards

9 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

I've got a REAL ID too, but always carry my passport for domestic flights within the USA.

Unless I know I’ll need it, I always leave mine in the lockbox where there’s a near zero probability of it being lost/stolen/misplaced.

42 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Well, at least now you won’t have to think about it again for 9 1/2 years. 
Enjoy your cruise!

I always wonder why it is 10 years; it should be 10.5.  Then real number of years would be actually 10 years.  Currently, last 6 months are meaningless for people who travel within that time.

In reality it should be 10.75 years, so people would be able to apply for renewal in 10 years and get a new passport in about 3 months or less.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 2:18 PM, SCX22 said:

We did LAX to FLL Panama Canal cruise in January 2024.  The separate notice below stating that passports with 6 months validity after completion of travel were REQUIRED was e-mailed about 2 weeks before our sailing.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 141127.jpg

I'm on the eclipse cruise, too. We all received that same notice on March 22.

48 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

I always wonder why it is 10 years; it should be 10.5.  Then real number of years would be actually 10 years.  Currently, last 6 months are meaningless for people who travel within that time.

In reality it should be 10.75 years, so people would be able to apply for renewal in 10 years and get a new passport in about 3 months or less.

You do realize that applying logic to bureaucratic dictates is a manifest waste of energy? The 10 year valid date, or 10.75, or 12, will not change other countries’ six month “cushion”. The cushion is imposed so that you don’t expire while there and then have trouble being repatriated.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

If you have Global Entry, you need to log into your Global Entry account and update the passport number tied to your Global Entry card. We just did this in January for my wife's new passport.

Same for Nexus. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OldSalt73 said:

You do realize that applying logic to bureaucratic dictates is a manifest waste of energy? The 10 year valid date, or 10.75, or 12, will not change other countries’ six month “cushion”. The cushion is imposed so that you don’t expire while there and then have trouble being repatriated.

Perhaps, you didn't "translate" a meaning of my post properly.  It was about the fact that 10 years expiation is truly <10 years.  So, people pay for 10 years when in reality they pay for 9.5 years or potentially even less.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, capriccio said:

and 7.  For any international travel or passport questions and concerns start with the US State Department’s website:  www.state.gov. Their travelers section is more trustworthy than cruise line passenger service reps, neighbors, and even posters on cruise critic 😀

It’s important to note though that there may be additional requirements imposed by cruise lines. For example, many passengers have been caught unaware that Princess requires everyone in the travel party to have a passport if only one adult is traveling with one or more minors. This is true for all itineraries.

You can find Princess’ document requirements here 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise

6 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Perhaps, you didn't "translate" a meaning of my post properly.  It was about the fact that 10 years expiation is truly <10 years.  So, people pay for 10 years when in reality they pay for 9.5 years or potentially even less.

I translated perfectly. The expiration date is 10 years. It is valid for most purposes for that long, including returning to the US.

https://hk.usconsulate.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/less-than-six-months-validity-left/

The six month requirement is NOT a US DOS limitation, rather it imposed by host countries. Therefore airlines and cruise lines almost universally require the six month from end of voyage. Applying your logic, a four month world cruise would penalize 10 months from the passport. Point being, there will likely always be the six month penalty regardless of statutory validity. Just something to live with.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OldSalt73 said:

I translated perfectly. The expiration date is 10 years. It is valid for most purposes for that long, including returning to the US.

https://hk.usconsulate.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/less-than-six-months-validity-left/

The six month requirement is NOT a US DOS limitation, rather it imposed by host countries. Therefore airlines and cruise lines almost universally require the six month from end of voyage. Applying your logic, a four month world cruise would penalize 10 months from the passport. Point being, there will likely always be the six month penalty regardless of statutory validity. Just something to live with.

Yes.  There are too many so to speak something's to live with.

29 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

It’s important to note though that there may be additional requirements imposed by cruise lines. For example, many passengers have been caught unaware that Princess requires everyone in the travel party to have a passport if only one adult is traveling with one or more minors. This is true for all itineraries.

I agree 100% and in OP's case what started as a Princess requirement evolved into a passport renewal requirement.   For that, the State Department's requirements trump all others.  If people know where to look, they can find answers without relying on conjecture.  i applaud your inclusion of where to look on the Princess website in your response.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Because people will still wait until two weeks before it expires to renew it, no matter how long it is valid. Procrastinators gonna procrastinate!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bassmk said:

Because people will still wait until two weeks before it expires to renew it, no matter how long it is valid. Procrastinators gonna procrastinate!

That's fine as long as a person doesn't travel for next couple (few) months from "two weeks before it expires" time.  That's (potentially) actually, the best situation.

7 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

That's fine as long as a person doesn't travel for next couple (few) months from "two weeks before it expires" time.  That's (potentially) actually, the best situation.

Two weeks was an arbitrary number...I meant there will always be those people who don't pull out their passport until they're packing for the trip (days before) and realize they're way past the window of acceptability (3 months, 6 months, whatever it is) and suddenly need to expedite a renewal. That will happen whether they're valid for 10 years, 12 years, 20 years...

23 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Wow! The devil IS in the details! That had escaped me. Reason to get PP for all the kids, too.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

Yes.  There are too many so to speak something's to live with.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out the front door…” JRR Tolkien

Edited by OldSalt73
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bassmk said:

The two weeks is the time required to renew it, if you are in a rush. Show up at the passport office within three weeks of travel, they'll tell you to come back in two. 

Posted (edited)

I'll be on the same cruise as OP.

People with actual experience with travel on that exact route (Panama Canal) have stated in no uncertain terms that a valid passport is a requirement that WILL be enforced. (And not a Passport card - a passport book.)

Do not rely on what a phone person said. That and $2 will get you a cup of coffee. 

Also, in your situation, the phrase "beggars can't be choosers" is particularly valid. Think of it this way: If you go to the passport office and they CAN get you the passport, you're on. If you don't even try, you're not going on the cruise. It's your choice.

Edited by TheMichael

If you consider yourself a traveler...

First, you should memorize the expiration date of your driver's licenses, state issued IDs, passports--anything you would use as credential to enter an airport or a foreign country--like you memorize your Social Security number.  Second, you should do your due diligence to renew these important documents with enough time receive them before the expiration date.

2 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

If you consider yourself a traveler...

First, you should memorize the expiration date of your driver's licenses, state issued IDs, passports--anything you would use as credential to enter an airport or a foreign country--like you memorize your Social Security number.  Second, you should do your due diligence to renew these important documents with enough time receive them before the expiration date.

I'm thinking you meant "memorize the license and ID numbers" vs. the expiration dates...although, that would be helpful, too.

Just now, OldSalt73 said:

I'm thinking you meant "memorize the license and ID numbers" vs. the expiration dates...although, that would be helpful, too.

You should memorize the number as well, but even if you memorize the number, these documents won't do you any good if they're expired.

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

An interesting little article on the history of US passports:  The History of the US Passport - The Most Coveted Travel Document in the World - (passportinfoguide.com)

I remember my first passport, which I got in 1970, was only valid for 5 years.

Interesting little article regarding US passports. I’m sure other countries histories would be a little different.

Though this thread has changed directions, as most threads here on CC do (OP issue had been identified and resolved in a happy ending), I think the more info we share about getting a passport if cruising the better the outcome for those new to cruising.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

I remember my first passport, which I got in 1970, was only valid for 5 years.

Minors below 16 years of age are still only issued passports with 5 years validity.

• Like 1

When you travel outside the US definitely check the requirements for each country you will visit.  Rules are sometimes different for cruise passengers.

On the Panama Canal cruise the requirements set by Colombia are clear.  Everyone on the shop is required to have a passport with 6 months on the passport before renewal.

On 3/23/2024 at 4:41 PM, indexcards said:

I have reservation for Sailing date of April 5th and passport with expiration date of July 14th.  Princess is asking for passport to be valid for 6 months after sail date.   I noticed too late to get passport renewal.  I have been told to bring original birth certificate with me. 

Has anyone had this happen to them,  or know how this will be handled when we come with green lane clearance but this problem with passport.

Hope someone can give me some reassurance that all will be well.

Thank you.

The 6 month renewal isn't necessarily about the cruise unless you are visiting a country that has a requirement that the expiration date has to exceed 6 months. I will tell you from experience that some Airlines won't let you fly with a passport that is at the 6 month mark. If you have to cut your trip short for some reason the airline might have an issue with the soon to expire passport.