Passport Expiration Date Not 6 months from cruise boarding date

indexcards

6 hours ago, chamima said:

If it's a closed loop cruise (beginning and ending in US) you don't really need a passport. Take it anyways! But if you have one, take a certified birth certificate and driver's license also. (I over prepare)

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=closed+loop+cruise

And apply for your renewal as soon as you get back!!!!

That's not a closed loop cruise. 

OP, you most definitely need a passport. 

5 hours ago, indexcards said:

When I contacted Princess, one rep told me no problem, and was going to send me an email to confirm this,   It never came so I called again and this rep told me to bring birth certificate for boarding.   It is all so confusing,  my exp. date was entered on my ap when I reserved cruise' I never had a reason to worry until I got the booking confirmation yesterday that mentioned the 6 month requirement.   How do I get a straight answer from princess.

The straight answer is the one in writing from Princess.  

If there's a passport office in your area, you can get one the same day provided you show them you're traveling in the next two weeks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, indexcards said:

I have an appointment set for Monday .  Thanks to all who let me know how important a renewal ASAP is.  

Thank goodness!  We’re all relieved, too.  We don’t want anyone left behind at the cruise terminal because of a passport.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

For the record, expedited passport renewal times have gotten better.  It seems they've caught up with the backlog from last summer.  I submitted an expedited renewal on 12/26/23 and had my new passport by 1/4/24.  Perhaps I was lucky, but the horror stories of 13 weeks for a renewal appear to be a thing of the past.

Edited by DCThunder

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, indexcards said:

I have an appointment set for Monday .  Thanks to all who let me know how important a renewal ASAP is.  

Good job and bon voyage!  

Edited by Cruise Raider

10 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Doesn't look that way to me. It's life or death AND immediate travel. Not "or".

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

image.png.53293803bc5efeb111cb38dcebcfc7da.png

From the official US passport agency site .. 

Urgent travel applies under the emergency passport rule.  

image.thumb.png.62732fef382a45ae5e988dc725cd9eb8.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, indexcards said:

I will report back after my visit to passport office.  Thanks again to all who responded.  

Please do!  Very glad you were able to get an appointment so quickly.  Six months ago it may not have been possible.

• Like 1

Current expedite turn around times are 1.5 weeks. My fiancés we sent out March 6 and got the new one in less than 10 days. The backlog is definitely gone

5 hours ago, DCThunder said:

For the record, expedited passport renewal times have gotten better.  It seems they've caught up with the backlog from last summer.  I submitted an expedited renewal on 12/26/23 and had my new passport by 1/4/24. 

Ditto Global Entry renewals. During COVID, it took more than 18 months. I submitted mine a day after my birthday in January this year, a year before its expiration and had it back in just over a week. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, indexcards said:

I have reservation for Sailing date of April 5th and passport with expiration date of July 14th.  Princess is asking for passport to be valid for 6 months after sail date.   I noticed too late to get passport renewal.  I have been told to bring original birth certificate with me. 

Has anyone had this happen to them,  or know how this will be handled when we come with green lane clearance but this problem with passport.

Hope someone can give me some reassurance that all will be well.

Thank you.

Some countries require your passport not expire within 6 months. It is not 100% up to Princess 

Posted (edited)

I applied for passport renewal - received my new passport s in exactly 2 weeks!!!  I was shocked . This was in early March, 2024

Edited by Coleman41
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Coleman41 said:

I applied for passport renewal - received my new passport s in exactly 2 weeks!!!  I was shocked . This was in early March, 2024

I applied for my expedited passport renewal first week of this past December.  I had my new passport in 5 days!  At first I thought they were returning my renewal application.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

I applied for my expedited passport renewal first week of this past December.  I had my new passport in 5 days!  At first I thought they were returning my renewal application.

Same here! We mailed hubby's expedited renewal the day after we got home from our cruise, knowing we needed it soon for another upcoming cruise. Couldn't believe how fast we got it back and I had the same thought -- did we fill something out wrong on the app 😊 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Same here! We mailed hubby's expedited renewal the day after we got home from our cruise, knowing we needed it soon for another upcoming cruise. Couldn't believe how fast we got it back and I had the same thought -- did we fill something out wrong on the app 😊 

Tons of free renewals in 2021-23.  May less this year because of that.  They are also fully staffed.  Renewals used to be a few weeks.  Mine in January 2020 took 3 weeks.  So seems back to normal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Tons of free renewals in 2021-23.  May less this year because of that.  They are also fully staffed.  Renewals used to be a few weeks.  Mine in January 2020 took 3 weeks.  So seems back to normal.

I have also heard that applications for new passports are down SIGNIFICANTLY. This would also help with renewal processing times. 

On 3/23/2024 at 10:57 PM, startedwithamouse said:

That's not a closed loop cruise. 

OP, you most definitely need a passport. 

BRING PROOF of cruise travel when you go to the passport office, along with CASH or check book. No creditcards excepted.  Good luck & let us know if you get passport.

• Like 2

Victory Victory...Made appointment Saturday, photos taken Sunday.  Visited Passport office to apply this morning. In and out in 20 minutes for both of us.  Was told to go to lunch or shopping and come back at 2:00.   Did so and passports ready and waiting for us thanks to the courtesy and efficiency of the staff at the Passport office in Portsmouth NH.

Now I just have to make the changes in the Princess AP to reflect our new status.

Again thanks to all who chimed in on this problem which I caused by not reading the full info under Passport requirements..  I assumed valid was valid, not so for some destinations.

It was possible to purchase with credit or debit card which may be a new thing because it was stated in a post on this subject that cash or check was needed.   

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, indexcards said:

Victory Victory...Made appointment Saturday, photos taken Sunday.  Visited Passport office to apply this morning. In and out in 20 minutes for both of us.  Was told to go to lunch or shopping and come back at 2:00.   Did so and passports ready and waiting for us thanks to the courtesy and efficiency of the staff at the Passport office in Portsmouth NH.

Now I just have to make the changes in the Princess AP to reflect our new status.

Again thanks to all who chimed in on this problem which I caused by not reading the full info under Passport requirements..  I assumed valid was valid, not so for some destinations.

It was possible to purchase with credit or debit card which may be a new thing because it was stated in a post on this subject that cash or check was needed.   

Bravo!  👏 

so happy that worked out for you and now, bon voyage!  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, indexcards said:

Yay!  Now you can enjoy the anticipation of your upcoming adventure with no stress.  Bon voyage!

• Like 1