Passport Expiration Date Not 6 months from cruise boarding date

indexcards

1 hour ago, indexcards said:

Victory Victory...Made appointment Saturday, photos taken Sunday.  Visited Passport office to apply this morning. In and out in 20 minutes for both of us.  Was told to go to lunch or shopping and come back at 2:00.   Did so and passports ready and waiting for us thanks to the courtesy and efficiency of the staff at the Passport office in Portsmouth NH.

Now I just have to make the changes in the Princess AP to reflect our new status.

Again thanks to all who chimed in on this problem which I caused by not reading the full info under Passport requirements..  I assumed valid was valid, not so for some destinations.

It was possible to purchase with credit or debit card which may be a new thing because it was stated in a post on this subject that cash or check was needed.   

Awesome! Have a great time on your cruise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, indexcards said:

Victory Victory...Made appointment Saturday, photos taken Sunday.  Visited Passport office to apply this morning. In and out in 20 minutes for both of us.  Was told to go to lunch or shopping and come back at 2:00.   Did so and passports ready and waiting for us thanks to the courtesy and efficiency of the staff at the Passport office in Portsmouth NH.

Now I just have to make the changes in the Princess AP to reflect our new status.

Again thanks to all who chimed in on this problem which I caused by not reading the full info under Passport requirements..  I assumed valid was valid, not so for some destinations.

It was possible to purchase with credit or debit card which may be a new thing because it was stated in a post on this subject that cash or check was needed.   

Victory indeed. If you are TSA qualified,  make sure to let the airlines know your new passport number as well. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, dw64 said:

Victory indeed. If you are TSA qualified,  make sure to let the airlines know your new passport number as well. 

Good idea, but not really necessary unless you’re flying internationally.  TSA precheck isn’t tied to a passport, even though you may have used one to qualify,

11 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Good idea, but not really necessary unless you’re flying internationally.  TSA precheck isn’t tied to a passport, even though you may have used one to qualify,

This cruise will not involve international travel so I don’t know why the TSA would care

13 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Yes it is attached to passport. I'm retired airlines. I know. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, dw64 said:

Seems unlikely considering you don’t even need one to qualify. And when you fly domestically, you don’t even need to bring it with you.

Edited by Mark_K

9 minutes ago, dw64 said:

For a domestic flight. People fly with driver’s license all the time. They should only need the passport to board the ship.  If you needed a passport to fly domestically then planes would be half empty 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dw64 said:

If you have Global Entry, you need to log into your Global Entry account and update the passport number tied to your Global Entry card. We just did this in January for my wife's new passport.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let me wrap up this discussion with what I learned from this exprience.

1.  Do not take any advise from Princess reps on telephone.  

2. Read all fine print sent out by Princess.  IE get it in writing.

3. Renew your passport whenever you book a cruise if it is going to expire in less then 6 months after such tour..  

Then have fun cruising, and thanks again to all

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

Passports, TSA PreCheck and other mysteries of the universe....

1. From the TSA Website...  you can get a KTN without a passport, however the required documentation may be trying. Might as well get the passport...

2. Passports and ships, even planned US domestic-only trips... from long personal experience with ships (and airplanes), they don't always go where (or when) as planned) for countless reasons. Having a valid passport can significantly ease your "revised" travel plans.  There will not always be a convenient Embassy or Attache Office if you wind up in some little port in some moderately unfriendly country.  Come to think of it, the same applies for airplanes when the itinerary is outside of the continental US or going to a "passport not required" destination.

3. Please apply judgmental filter: IMHO, all adults should possess a valid passport.  If you are entertaining any cruise ship travel, it should be a mandatory personal item regardless of planned itinerary.

4. More judgy opinion: If you're balking at the couple of hours of prep work and the $160 fee ($16/yr... or about four adult cups of coffee at Starbucks) perhaps you should re-think cruising.

5. While you're at it... one of the best investments you can make is to get the Global Entry.  Price is $100 (vs $85 for the PreCheck) AND, PreCheck is included. You will endure some schedule shenanigans to get the interview, but our planned six month wait was rapidly whittled down to five weeks as appointment openings came up.  It's really easy if you're returning from international travel, just go to the GE kiosk/office, do the interview (fog the mirror) and your card appears in the mail.

6. When ordering your passport, get the additional page version... it lasts longer.  Some places require a minimum of two unused visa pages or... you don't get to come in.

7. The answer for the mysteries of the universe is "42".

Edited by OldSalt73
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

and 7.  For any international travel or passport questions and concerns start with the US State Department’s website:  www.state.gov. Their travelers section is more trustworthy than cruise line passenger service reps, neighbors, and even posters on cruise critic 😀

6 minutes ago, capriccio said:

and 7.  For any international travel or passport questions and concerns start with the US State Department’s website:  www.state.gov. Their travelers section is more trustworthy than cruise line passenger service reps, neighbors, and even posters on cruise critic 😀

Neighbors... that's a good one.  Some of mine haven't been more than 100 miles from home during their life.... General response to a description of a cruise is "Whhhut?"

2 hours ago, dw64 said:

1 hour ago, OldSalt73 said:

I respectfully invite your attention to the tech orders, Captain.

https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/factsheets/tsa-precheckr-application-program

Not sure @dw64 is a captain, just retired from the airlines. Could have been a gate agent (which actually would have had more experience with TSA Pre-Check than a pilot).

Regardless, I believe @dw64 is confusing Global Entry, which is absolutely tied to a passport and includes TSA Pre-Check with stand-alone Pre-Check.

@OldSalt73 I disagree with #6.  I ordered my passport with extra pages….

regret the extra bulk/thickness

only one country stamped my passport in 8 years

Korea wouldn’t even stamp it, just pasted a sticker on the back and it has already fallen off.

lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Not sure @dw64 is a captain, just retired from the airlines. Could have been a gate agent (which actually would have had more experience with TSA Pre-Check than a pilot).

Regardless, I believe @dw64 is confusing Global Entry, which is absolutely tied to a passport and includes TSA Pre-Check with stand-alone Pre-Check.

Agree… the worst that did was “promote” someone. Let’s call it a courtesy.

• Like 1

Next year you will no longer be able to fly within the US using a regular driver's license.  Just a heads up as sure things will get crazy at local DMVs.

To the OP - glad you were able to get it sorted quickly and apparently pretty painlessly.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Next year you will no longer be able to fly within the US using a regular driver's license.  Just a heads up as sure things will get crazy at local DMVs.

To the OP - glad you were able to get it sorted quickly and apparently pretty painlessly.

lol…. I can’t even remember how many times we have heard this🤣.

Dont get me wrong, I have a passport, Global Entry, and verified ID. The problem isn’t me, it’s the other half of the US population that continues to drag their feet (and this includes some state governments).

Cheers

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

lol…. I can’t even remember how many times we have heard this🤣.

Dont get me wrong, I have a passport, Global Entry, and verified ID. The problem isn’t me, it’s the other half of the US population that continues to drag their feet (and this includes some state governments).

Cheers

Free entertainment… sit in the airport near security on Real ID D-Day and observe the meltdowns. Bring popcorn.

• Haha 2

On 3/23/2024 at 4:14 PM, chamima said:

If it's a closed loop cruise (beginning and ending in US) you don't really need a passport. Take it anyways! But if you have one, take a certified birth certificate and driver's license also. (I over prepare)

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=closed+loop+cruise

And apply for your renewal as soon as you get back!!!!

That may technically be true, but it's poor advise.

You should ***always*** bring your passport and it needs to be valid six months after the end of the cruise.

If something happens and you have to leave the ship, you will need your passport for return travel to the US.

15 hours ago, indexcards said:

Let me wrap up this discussion with what I learned from this exprience.

1.  Do not take any advise from Princess reps on telephone.  

2. Read all fine print sent out by Princess.  IE get it in writing.

3. Renew your passport whenever you book a cruise if it is going to expire in less then 6 months after such tour..  

Then have fun cruising, and thanks again to all

Well, at least now you won’t have to think about it again for 9 1/2 years. 
Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

They'll push it back again catering to the LCD.

We've had our REAL IDs for years! 

1 minute ago, startedwithamouse said:

They'll push it back again catering to the LCD.

We've had our REAL IDs for years! 

I've got a REAL ID too, but always carry my passport for domestic flights within the USA.

• Like 1