MDR dining....help me decide

We don't consistently use the MDR.  We do Coastal Kitchen, specialty dining, and an occasional My Time MDR experience for the most part.  Other than that, we snack or visit Windjammer.  We are downsizing ships because of the crazy prices right now.  We are also later diners with 7:30 being the perfect time for us.  We just got off Mariner and had late dining at 8.  It was a great experience!  Our wait team was attentive and remembered our preferences, just like the "good old days".  Our My Time dining experiences before had been hectic and disjointed.  On my next cruise, we have MTD reserved at 7:30 each night. Should we switch to late?  We don't have a lot of MDR experience, so we don't know what the "normal" experience is. Thanks!   

• Like 1

If you have 7:30 reserved each night at MTD, you can request the same table each night on the first night and it will be no different than traditional dining except for the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Late traditional MDR dining is the only way we will cruise.  And it sounds like your recent experience is the way it usually is: like the good old days.

What we almost always do.  Once during covid they put everyone in mtd.  It worked, got the same table /waiter each night but we had to wait some nights. Much prefer traditional,  late seating.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

We don't consistently use the MDR.  We do Coastal Kitchen, specialty dining, and an occasional My Time MDR experience for the most part.  Other than that, we snack or visit Windjammer.  We are downsizing ships because of the crazy prices right now.  We are also later diners with 7:30 being the perfect time for us.  We just got off Mariner and had late dining at 8.  It was a great experience!  Our wait team was attentive and remembered our preferences, just like the "good old days".  Our My Time dining experiences before had been hectic and disjointed.  On my next cruise, we have MTD reserved at 7:30 each night. Should we switch to late?  We don't have a lot of MDR experience, so we don't know what the "normal" experience is. Thanks!   

We never take fixed time dining. MTD gives us the flexibility (with or without reservations) to eat when we want and show up early/late to our "reservation". Fixed time dining is slowly becoming extinct like the dinosaurs and we cant figure out why RCCL hangs on to it. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

If you have 7:30 reserved each night at MTD, you can request the same table each night on the first night and it will be no different than traditional dining except for the time. 

And location. In the multiple story dining rooms they frequently use the lower level. We always have a table on the second or third level and try to be along the railing. On Quantum class we always go for The Grande dining room, MTD rooms lack ambience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8PM is too late for us. 5:00 is too early.

Immediately after boarding we go straight to the dining room and request a window table for two for our MyTime…as close to 6:00 as possible ( tho that doesn’t really jibe with the traditional times).  So whatever time we are on the books for, we at least generally get our window table ( tho not guaranteed) for two.  The first night is usually a confusing/chaotic time at the MDR.  After folks learn the drill, we find a smoother process.  We generally arrive at the tail end of the first seating…close to our assigned time…and get seated quickly…often at a preferred location.  We do not care if we get the same staff each night. If we need to wait, a cocktail nearby is easy!   Memo: take note of the two waiting lines…one for reservations, one without!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roupa said:

8PM is too late for us. 5:00 is too early.

Immediately after boarding we go straight to the dining room and request a window table for two for our MyTime…as close to 6:00 as possible ( tho that doesn’t really jibe with the traditional times).  So whatever time we are on the books for, we at least generally get our window table ( tho not guaranteed) for two.  The first night is usually a confusing/chaotic time at the MDR.  After folks learn the drill, we find a smoother process.  We generally arrive at the tail end of the first seating…close to our assigned time…and get seated quickly…often at a preferred location.  We do not care if we get the same staff each night. If we need to wait, a cocktail nearby is easy!   Memo: take note of the two waiting lines…one for reservations, one without!

My understanding is that currently mtd doesn’t officially start until 6:45.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njkruzer said:

My understanding is that currently mtd doesn’t officially start until 6:45.

Officially no, but in practice once the window for early traditional closes they’ll start filling empty tables from the MTD line.

Posted (edited)

We love the MDR experience and have chosen this dining option all but once on our 20+ cruises. We have tried MTD one time but felt it very impersonal and it felt no different than just dining at home. We love the traditional experience in the MDR of sitting in a large table and meeting other cruisers and talking about our day's activities. We have met the loveliest people from all around the world! It separates the cruise dining experience from the "dining at home at a local restaurant" experience. Nothing like it! 

Edited by QTBabyNurse
Edit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Officially no, but in practice once the window for early traditional closes they’ll start filling empty tables from the MTD line.

That is ship and maybe even sailing dependent.