Weird question for Apple Watch cruisers

This is only for those that sleep with an Apple watch. Has anyone noticed their respiration rate while sleeping on the ship quite different than typically at home? I noticed on a cruise last year it was substantially different and I recently cruised again and same thing. I can't find anything on the internet mentioning this so I was curious if there was anyone else?

You got me curious...so I went back to the week of Sept 10 last year, when we were on a 7 day Alaska HAL cruise...and checked respiration during sleep...and it is significantly lower.

The week before, my rates during sleep were 13 breaths/min at the lowest - during the week on board, it was 7.5 breaths/min and looking at the weekly rate for the rest of the year outside of that week, it's no lower than 12. Fascinating.

My next cruise is in Nov...I'm going to have to keep an eye on that just out of curiosity! 😛  

I'm not suggesting that this is the case for anyone here, but drinking alcohol can lower respiratory rate. If people are drinking more alcohol than they otherwise would, that might explain it.

• Like 1

Mine were similar, 6-7 per min versus 13-14 per min any non cruise night. No alcohol. Not taking any medication different than home. And it's not the relaxation either🤣 traveling with a busy boy. And it is consistent all 7 nights on the cruise and then returns to normal first night home. And I live at sea level so no altitude difference either (although, that doesn't make a difference). I'm glad I'm not the only one but very curious as to why. Any doctors want to weigh in?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, kuku77254 said:

This is only for those that sleep with an Apple watch. Has anyone noticed their respiration rate while sleeping on the ship quite different than typically at home? I noticed on a cruise last year it was substantially different and I recently cruised again and same thing. I can't find anything on the internet mentioning this so I was curious if there was anyone else?

You might consider asking the mods to change the title of this thread. I would guess a lot of people think it might be a technical question specifically about Apple brand watches. The thread really is not just for people that use Apple watches. It could be any smartwatch. 

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, davidrlewis2302 said:

I am not sure how it monitors it exactly, I have an Apple Watch but never wear it! 

Would the motion of the ship / the constant engine hum somehow be affecting the readings?

Something must affect either the watch or me (and others apparently). I don't believe it's the motion or hum because it does get the sleep correct which definitely relies on motion to calculate sleep.

14 hours ago, time4u2go said:

You might consider asking the mods to change the title of this thread. I would guess a lot of people think it might be a technical question specifically about Apple brand watches. The thread really is not just for people that use Apple watches. It could be any smartwatch. 

I don't know how other smartwatches report data so I wanted to compare apples to apples, so to speak.

Posted (edited)

So I think I’ve made a mistake with my smart watch.

I am new to an iPhone . My son bought it for me because I had a bad fall last summer and no one was nearby. So this way I always have a way to contact someone.

I put my iPhone on airplane mode, my Apple Watch, is connected to my phone, but does not have a separate Verizon account. I never thought to put it in airplane mode until today. Oops —on day four of my cruise.

I guess I should be expecting a big bill when I get back. Will it stop collecting data and phone or test since my s

iPhone was in airplane mode? 

I know all the young people ot there are rolling their eyes. This is one of those old lady questions. Thanks for your help.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

1 hour ago, Neosophy said:

How do you sleep with your apple watch?  Thats my recharge for next day time.  When do you recharge?

I charge in evening while I'm taking a shower and getting ready for bed. Only takes about an hour or so to charge fully.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, compuryan said:

All the fresh sea air?  No breathing all the carbon dioxide from living in a city or town?

Actually, only breathing 6/7 times per minute would indicate a health issue so it's not a positive response. 

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I am new to an iPhone . My son bought it for me because I had a bad fall last summer and no one was nearby. So this way I always have a way to contact someone.

I put my iPhone on airplane mode, my Apple Watch, is connected to my phone, but does not have a separate Verizon account. I never thought to put it in airplane mode until today. Oops —on day four of my cruise.

I guess I should be expecting a big bill when I get back. Will it stop collecting data and phone or test since my s

I know all the young people ot there are rolling their eyes. This is one of those old lady questions. Thanks for your help.

If you only have a wifi not cellular watch that connects to your phone by Bluetooth, then it shouldn't matter. If the phone is in airplane mode, you're fine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neosophy said:

How do you sleep with your apple watch?  Thats my recharge for next day time.  When do you recharge?

I charge mine in the morning right when I get up.  By the time I’m done getting ready it’s charged.  It really doesn’t take too long to charge.  I like to track my sleep (I use a separate app) so I opt to wear when sleeping.  Once in a blue moon I don’t have much charge by end of day so I’ll just pop it on mt charger for a bit.  

3 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Does your watch get notifications even if you are away from your phone?  Like if you left your phone at home and went for a walk, would it continue to ping?  If so it has it's own esim with a data package and yeah, you might be in for a bill (all be it the amount of data the watch is using is quite low as it's mostly notifications!).

But if the watch only gets its data via the phone, you'll be fine. 

3 hours ago, kuku77254 said:

Something must affect either the watch or me (and others apparently). I don't believe it's the motion or hum because it does get the sleep correct which definitely relies on motion to calculate sleep.

I've done a bit more reading into how the watch calculates your breathing and it's all done through the accelerometers in your watch, which are very sensitive. Apple apply some algorithms to this data to filter out background movement and predictions based on historical data. My guess is that the slight movement of the ship, which the accelerometers would easily pick up, mixed in with Apple's algorithms is causing a strange quirk in the data it's reporting. I don't believe that everyone is suddenly so chilled on a cruise that they start breathing once every ten seconds!

• Like 1

I found my sleep tracker to be highly inaccurate during my cruise. All of the motion of the ship made it think I was restless or awake, but it was just my bed moving along with the ship. 

36 minutes ago, davidrlewis2302 said:

Does your watch get notifications even if you are away from your phone?  Like if you left your phone at home and went for a walk, would it continue to ping?  If so it has it's own esim with a data package and yeah, you might be in for a bill (all be it the amount of data the watch is using is quite low as it's mostly notifications!).

But if the watch only gets its data via the phone, you'll be fine. 

No, I do not get notifications if I forget the phone.  It is good to know that even if I fouled up that the Apple Watch would not likely trigger the huge bills I read about. 

Oh well, learning experience. 

• Like 1