Labadee port charge

Posted (edited)

While that amount has likely varied over the years, there is a port fee paid to Haiti for each ship passenger who visits there, and as with any other missed port of call, that amount would be credited.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We skipped Labadee and went to Grand Turk and didn't receive any port fees back. I would guess that's because something had to be paid to Carnival?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Any missed port credit, if there's any, is up to the ship.

We have always received port fess as a credit to our account when we have missed scheduled ports of call.  It was never retained by the ship in our experience.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, fla33023 said:

We skipped Labadee and went to Grand Turk and didn't receive any port fees back. I would guess that's because something had to be paid to Carnival?

That may likely be the case in that one was offset by the other unplanned port of call.  Carnival does retain 75% of the seaport taxes received, but I am not sure what the level of port fees are or who pays whom, as several non-Carnival brands also call on Grand Turk on a regular basis.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

RC pays $12 per head for Labadee stops. Maybe they have some arrangement to still pay Haiti.

Yes - there are head count based port fees that go to Haiti by arrangement since its inception.  BTW although they have exclusive rights to the property as a private destination, RCCL does not own Labadee. They have a long term lease through 2050 on the property and own what they have developed.

30 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

We have always received port fess as a credit to our account when we have missed scheduled ports of call.  It was never retained by the ship in our experience.

You have been lucky.  As Biker mentioned it is entirely at the ships discretion and there have been numerous posts about nothing being refunded.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You have been lucky.  As Biker mentioned it is entirely at the ships discretion and there have been numerous posts about nothing being refunded.

Never heard that it was at the ships discretion. If a port of call is missed, you did not receive the value of that port fee, so it gets refunded.  Why would it not come back to the customer who paid it?  But lucky or not, our experience has been we have always had them returned.  That being said, we have fortunately only had a few missed ports of call in our cruising years.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Never heard that it was at the ships discretion. If a port of call is missed, you did not receive the value of that port fee, so it gets refunded.  Why would it not come back to the customer who paid it?  But lucky or not, our experience has been we have always had them returned.  That being said, we have fortunately only had a few missed ports of call in our cruising years.

I have a letter from the executive office explaining why.

Has to do with cruise by cruise taxes that may be under or overpaid as a whole for the ship based on occupancy, tax rates in place at time of booking and changes which is why it is up to the on board revenue manager by ship.

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I have a letter from the executive office explaining why.

Has to do with cruise by cruise taxes that may be under or overpaid as a whole for the ship based on occupancy, tax rates in place at time of booking and changes which is why it is up to the on board revenue manager by ship.

Thanks for that explanation.  Although I don't necessarily agree with their perspective.  But any debate regarding that is not my intent as it is JMO. I will just accept that I have been lucky with my returned port fees.

1 hour ago, fla33023 said:

Not sure about carnival, but they had to pay Grand Turk 

As a side not ...the Adventute actually did go to Labadee last week.  It was short (about 3am to 4 am) to drop off provisions and to pick up a few employees...then left and went to Nassau 

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

We have missed several ports over the years and have never seen a credit. Most recent miss was on a Alaska Port missed because of heavy seas, still received nothing for the miss. 

We were on Radiance last Oct for the Panama Canal cruise and missed all ports on the pacific side due to weather and got not port fees returned. 
I guess they just applied it to the $348k fee to go through the canal…. 😵‍💫

2 hours ago, Harrisonkid said:

As a side not ...the Adventute actually did go to Labadee last week.  It was short (about 3am to 4 am) to drop off provisions and to pick up a few employees...then left and went to Nassau 

The key thing they were delivering was fuel for generators.