Scary announcement on the last night

Thank you so much to most of you for answering this thread. I actually learned a lot. I am not a health professional so this was informative. I only asked because the announcement woke me up, scared me (much like a phone call from a relative in the middle of the night) and I truly felt bad for whoever needed help. As for the "negative" replies...REALLY??? I wasn't looking for a name and number....I will think twice before I post here again. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, wildescapade said:

As for the "negative" replies...REALLY??? I wasn't looking for a name and number....I will think twice before I post here again. 

Many people are curious, me too.  Ignore them.  Keep on posting.  Tough crowd here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, trivia addict said:

they were just wondering as to the science of why the gender is important.

To me, the positive/ negative is more important. 
My father was O negative, which is reasonably rare. He was told always to carry his blood donor card in his wallet, so it could be I.D.

16 hours ago, bebe08 said:

Same thing happened on our recent Connie cruise.  Captain made announcement at 6 am looking for blood donors.  He put the pedal to the metal and we got into NOLA 2 hours early so passenger could get into the waiting ambulance.  Since it was early in the cruise we received updates that the passenger was stable.  Sue Denning got quite emotional speaking about it on the last night thanking everyone for helping to save a passenger's life.  

I was on that cruise and can add a little bit to this. A friend went racing down to the medical center that morning to volunteer. He had forgotten to bring his donor card with him, and was frantically trying to pull up the information on the Red Cross app, when he was told that they already had enough blood, but they were very grateful for his effort.

later in the cruise, they sent a nice dessert to his stateroom with a thank you note. A couple of days after that he was invited to the bridge for a tour.  He was surprised because he wasn’t in a big suite and he didn’t have a lot of Captains Club status, but they told him it was because he had volunteered.

Later we were sitting in café Al Bacio when a woman struck up a conversation and it turned it had been her husband who was taken to hospital in New Orleans!  It was good to know that he made it.

So folks, if you are a donor, tuck that card into your wallet and bring it with you!❤️🫀

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

To me, the positive/ negative is more important. 
My father was O negative, which is reasonably rare. He was told always to carry his blood donor card in his wallet, so it could be I.D.

O negative is very common

16 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

O negative is very common

Not so.  Additionally O neg is considered a universal blood type as it is used in emergency situations and is therefore in high demand.

Catherine

19 hours ago, publicpersona said:

I am interested in all aspects of being on board a cruise ship. I don't confine that interest to the cost of an extra lobster tail, the happenings in the karaoke contest, or the source of a musty smell in the shower.

Today I learned (or rather, was reminded and assured) that the medical facility on a ship might seek transfusion donors if needed. I was also reminded that a cruise ship isn't a 100% safe environment and care should be taken in all activities and movement on the ship.

It’s also a good reminder that carrying your donor card can make you eligible to help in an emergency. Not all blood donors would be aware of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KforKitty said:

Not so.  Additionally O neg is considered a universal blood type as it is used in emergency situations and is therefore in high demand.

Catherine

I thought it was O positive which is the universal donor.

• Like 1

People who are rhesus negative cannot receive Rh+ve blood, therefore O negative is the universal donor.  O positive is the most common blood group.

Catherine

• Like 1

One should ignore those hypocrites for bashing around for being curious. Curiosity is in the human nature- otherwise we would still live in the tree´s! I - myself are always curious. LOL. Hope they could help the poor passenger who needed the blood.

• Like 1