Holland America World Cruise Entertainment?

Hello - we are considering a world cruise with Holland America, but would like to find out more about their world cruises - especially the entertainment. I see that the larger ships have the music venues, but the ships they use for world cruises do not. Has anyone done a world cruise with Holland in the last few years that could tell me more about that aspect? Thank you! Lori

We are considering the 2026 WC. I was not real thrilled to find out it would be on the Volendam. I was thinking it's small and old. We are doing 27 days on Zaandam in 2025, and I think they are sister ships, so similar in size and such. We'll see how that works out. I did ask my TA, though, and mentioned my disappointment with the Volendam for the WC. She told me that it would be a better fit for a WC because the Zuiderdam was really too big to get that WC feel. She also said the Volendam has a lot more storage and better venues for dancing. Not sure that helps your question, just giving you the little info I have. She's supposed to get back with me when they post the fares.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the info! That is the one we are considering also. We had also looked at Azamara, but they were sold not too long ago and many reviews aren't good. They also end in Europe, so we would have a longer trip back to the US. 

There are several thread currently on the first couple of pages of the forum from WC's posted by experienced WC cruisers.

• Thanks 1

The Volendam has larger cabins, in comparable categories, than the Zuiderdam (currently being used for this year's World Cruise) has. It is also true that there is more storage in the various cabin categories. Last year, World Cruisers on the Zuiderdam had a hard time storing all the things they need for a complete World Cruise. This year, the Hotel Manager ordered some additional portable stacks of drawers to help alleviate the storage problem, but not all cabins have room for them, and there aren't enough for every cabin. 
Storage matters a lot on the World Cruise, as there are formal nights in addition to the customary dressy and smart casual nights. There are also special events, such as balls, costume parties, and of course there is Orange Night. 

I encourage you to read The Inside Cabin's blog of the cruise, and there is also an excellent one by Writer On Deck. I also read a couple of others that are not posted to Cruise Critic, but could be also be helpful. One of them is very thorough, by John & Sharon Good. Perhaps you can locate it with a search; I get it by email, so don't have the URL for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RuthC said:

The Volendam has larger cabins, in comparable categories, than the Zuiderdam (currently being used for this year's World Cruise) has. It is also true that there is more storage in the various cabin categories. Last year, World Cruisers on the Zuiderdam had a hard time storing all the things they need for a complete World Cruise. This year, the Hotel Manager ordered some additional portable stacks of drawers to help alleviate the storage problem, but not all cabins have room for them, and there aren't enough for every cabin. 
Storage matters a lot on the World Cruise, as there are formal nights in addition to the customary dressy and smart casual nights. There are also special events, such as balls, costume parties, and of course there is Orange Night. 

I encourage you to read The Inside Cabin's blog of the cruise, and there is also an excellent one by Writer On Deck. I also read a couple of others that are not posted to Cruise Critic, but could be also be helpful. One of them is very thorough, by John & Sharon Good. Perhaps you can locate it with a search; I get it by email, so don't have the URL for you. 

Thanks, Ruth. Pete (Inside Cabin) posts a link to all the blogs for the current world cruise on his website: https://www.theinsidecabin.com/world_cruise_blogs/. I have stopped posting updates for my blog on Cruise Critic as it just takes a lot of time and most people seem to just subscribe on my website.

I'm on my second world cruise now on the Zuiderdam and earlier sailed on the Amsterdam (same class as Volendam). I also just finished before this cruise the 73-day Grand South America/Antarctica on the Zaandam, so know about the enetertainment on both classes.

Both ships have the World Stage for nightly entertainment, 2 shows a night. Entertainers come and go throughout the cruise, with most doing 2 different shows. Mixture of music, comedy and specialty acts (magic, etc.) In addition they have the company singers and dancers -- they are doing about 18 different shows this year, and a band for the World Stage. The band also plays during some of the sail-aways on the aft Lido deck.

In addition, on the Volendam, you can expect a band in the Ocean Bar, a piano player/singer in the piano bar and a classical duo or trio in the Explorer's lounge. (The Zuiderdam moves the band to the Rolling Stone and has a jazz trio in the Ocean Bar, plus a piano duo instead of a single piano.)

I wouldn't worry about the age of the ship. HAL keeps them in good condition and they cycle through drydock every few years. Comments about room storage are correct. The Volendam will have more ocean view cabins and fewer verandahs.

Of course, all HAL staff are wonderful, but the World (and the grands) seem to have the best. Lots of interaction with the officers, from the captain on down. A real family.

Edited by WriterOnDeck
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I am on Volendam currently just finishing the Grand Australia & New Zealand.

For the duration of this cruise, we have had

1 - Ocean Bar Pianist during afternoon happy hour and fill in

2 - Ocean Bar Band - generally 3 sets a night, but also sail aways and back up band for entertainers on World Stage

3 - Dance Band - generally in the Crows Nest for 2 - 3 sets a night, but in the Ocean Bar when that band is elsewhere

4 - Pianist in the Mix 2 - 3 sets a night

5 - String trio in the Explorations Lounge 2 - 3 sets a night

These acts generally have had 1 night off per week.

Grand Voyage Rep Co. has done at least 12, maybe as many as 15 stage shows on the World Stage that have been very good.

Very few nights on the World Stage have been dark or a movie. We have had many different singers, magicians, and other acts. Many of these acts I have seen before on other HAL ships and are some of the best they have had.

The entertainment staff has been larger than shorter cruises, having a Cruise Director, trivia host, and sports director among others.

During the day we have had many good lectures, as well as arts & crafts, and organized games.

The quality of the 'House' entertainers has been very good.

Just to add, the Ocean Bar Band, Dance Band, Cocktail Pianist, and Mix Pianist are are leaving tomorrow at the end of the Grand Cruise. The entertainment options will change and we will have to see who boards.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Guinness1000 said:

We are doing 27 days on Zaandam in 2025, and I think they are sister ships, so similar in size and such.

Yes Volendam and Zaandam are sister ship and about the same size, however the entertainment options will not be the same as on a grand cruise.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lorilg12 said:

Hello - we are considering a world cruise with Holland America, but would like to find out more about their world cruises - especially the entertainment. I see that the larger ships have the music venues, but the ships they use for world cruises do not. Has anyone done a world cruise with Holland in the last few years that could tell me more about that aspect? Thank you! Lori

Be careful. Once you do a World Cruise you will be spoiled. The bigger ships can't compare to being on the smaller ones on World Cruises. (Except maybe lack of Dutch Cafe). 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is the first time I've posted - thanks so much for all the great info! We've done a couple of cruises, but this would be a long one. I've noticed several posts about rough seas on world cruises, so I hope it doesn't get too crazy. We had some movement on our Alaska cruise, but I was fine with that. I'm sure it was a bigger ship though.

2 minutes ago, lorilg12 said:

We had some movement on our Alaska cruise, but I was fine with that. I'm sure it was a bigger ship though.

'Bigger' isn't necessarily 'better' when it comes to how smooth the sailing is. It can depend on the cut of the hull, the wind direction, and the direction of the sea movement. 
To some extent, the larger ships, if at the wrong angle to the wind, can act as sails by catching the wind and rolling more than the smaller ships do. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 7:52 PM, lorilg12 said:

You can follow this LINK  and see a table where I list every entertainer on the main stage for 2016, 2018 and 2020.   You can find 2023 HERE and 2024 HERE.   You can also review every daily program for each day on each cruise and see what other entertainment is available each day.

You can find a link to every known HAL world cruise Blog HERE and in my signature line.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, lorilg12 said:

This is the first time I've posted - thanks so much for all the great info! We've done a couple of cruises, but this would be a long one. I've noticed several posts about rough seas on world cruises, so I hope it doesn't get too crazy. We had some movement on our Alaska cruise, but I was fine with that. I'm sure it was a bigger ship though.

World Cruises are not inherently rougher than any other cruise.   It all depends on where you are and the local weather.   You will find the roughest weather south of Australia and in the Drake Passage - but you can have rough weather anywhere if storms kick up.

3 hours ago, lorilg12 said:

We've  had rough seas on short cruises and my DW used to have nausea (she brings ginger chews). Much of it was anxiety/anticipation. The worst seas we've done on World Cruise was 27' swells in Southern Australia (as Pete mentioned). DW was standing in our cabin looking out from our balcony taking photos of the seas, oblivious to the motion. If she can get used to it, anyone can. 😁

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, lorilg12 said:

I don't think that you can accurately compare any line's non-Grand Voyage with their world cruise.  If you want a comparison, check CC's World Cruise site to compare the other cruise lines' world cruises and grand voyages.  HAL, BTW, does a wonderful job in these sailings.  All categories are up several notches:  Food, service, lectures, entertainment and, of course, ports that the larger ships cannot get into.  

• Thanks 1