A Bumpy End to the Season

Pacific Explorer is currently circling cyclone Olga as she makes her way from Broome to Komodo Island.

IDY30220.sigWaveHgt_006.png.7aa93b175c1c50fef990e9fcb69f9728.png

That is much better than what Celebrity Edge will face heading to Tassie & Ovation of the Seas will encounter returning to Sydney from NZ this week.

IDY30025.sigWaveHgt_096.png.0c533ba0c9cff6b25966203ec511f530.png

Carnival Spendor, Brilliance of the Seas & Pacific Encounter should be able to dodge the worst of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't  mind a bit of rocking but would prefer to avoid a storm and definitely avoid a cyclone

Thankfully, I haven’t had the pleasure.  What’s the worst weather event you have experienced in your extensive cruising?

Trying to outrun a storm going from Hobart back to Sydney. I'm not sure how high the waves were that we actually encountered. The BOM was predicting 8 metres, and it did get quite bouncy, but I think we avoided the worst of it. We did hug the coast quite closely as we cruised up the NSW coast as it was still very windy. We had great views though.

• Like 1

I'm keeping all my fingers crossed that the weather and seas will be kind to us as we start the world cruise. Coral is going to have to make a fairly fast run across to Fremantle and and bad weather could seriously impact our itinerary.

• Like 2

My worst  weather experience was first ever cruise. Transatlantic and we coming in behind a hurricane into Fort Lauderdale. I discovered I dont get sea sick and half the ship were in their cabins and the barf bags were everywhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't  mind a bit of rocking but would prefer to avoid a storm and definitely avoid a cyclone

I also love the rock & roll. Bad weather ends up with everyone indoors and treading on each others toes. Really bad weather is uncomfortable at best, and scary when you get bounced out of bed. I think they do a better job of avoiding storms than 15 - 20 years ago, largely due to better predictions of ocean conditions.

Our worst, crossing from Sydney to Noumea through an ex-tropical storm (hybrid low) on Sun Princess (the previous one) in late 2007. Gales and 9 metre waves for a day & a half. We had the added joy of having an aft-facing mini suite for maximum see-saw benefits. Similarly, a large number of passengers hid away in their cabins, and we almost had the MDR to ourselves for breakfast. Great to know we could handle the movement, but a summer holiday with 2 days of no outside decks was a downer.

I think the worst I have seen accounts for locally are for Pacific Sun on a cruise out of Auckland in 2008. It should never have left Auckland, but they thought they could dodge it. They got in a bit of trouble, as most of the stuff sliding was in breach of SOLAS as it was supposed to be bolted down. Strap yourself in 😁

And for @NSWP

The final trip of the former Regal Princess in 2007, before she became Pacific Dawn. Webcam capture from a day around the bottom of NZ, with waves hitting The Dome.

• Like 2

Our worst locally was 12 metres seas on the little Pacific Pearl.

Another bad one was crossing the Drake Passage in a small expedition ship. I was literally thrown out of bed. I skidded across the cabin floor. Luckily I had no injuries except bruises but a few others weren't so lucky.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, arxcards said:

And for @NSWP

The final trip of the former Regal Princess in 2007, before she became Pacific Dawn. Webcam capture from a day around the bottom of NZ, with waves hitting The Dome.

Thanks Geoff, it is still in my memory.  Was an exciting journey. The ship had damage to bow, pool bar and showers demolished, some windows bust and half a dozen pax fell down the stairs with injuries due to lifts out of action for 24 hrs. Capt Andrew Froude got us home safely.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, woodscruise said:
  • Sydney ports is showing Majestic Princess overnighting in Sydney with an arrival time of at Bradley Heads as 20:15

If there is no pilot departing with Solstice, Majestic may not get a pilot to come into port with. She has altered course and is now showing an 11am arrival tomorrow. Majestic is sitting just 20 nm off Manly, and is reporting a SSW gale.

Solstice is not showing any departure or movement details.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It may be considerably more comfy on the Solstice than on the Majestic.

A bonus night in Sydney Harbour.  Awesome!

Even better if they aren't confined to ship??

• Like 1

All the posts over the years about early flights and will I-wont I make it (and I admit to one such post myself), just goes to show, you never know. 

• Like 2

We have friends on Celebrity Edge at the moment.... apparently it was pouring rain in Sydney when they left... I think it's going to Melbourne / Adelaide / Hobart back to Sydney.

We're on a similar cruise in December with Princess 

50 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

We have friends on Celebrity Edge at the moment.... apparently it was pouring rain in Sydney when they left... I think it's going to Melbourne / Adelaide / Hobart back to Sydney.

We're on a similar cruise in December with Princess 

The edge was in Adelaide yesterday so would be on it's way to Hobart 

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Solstice is still there at the OPT

Screenshot_20240410-072226_Samsung Internet.jpg

Majestic Princess was scheduled for OPT today. Curious as to  why they did  not take Solstice to Athol Buoy ?  Majestic seems to be doing  “ laps” up and down the coast ( or why didnt she go to Athol Buoy ?)