Queen Anne Naming Ceremony

3rdGenCunarder

This was on their face cloth page. 😊

"It’s less than one month until Queen Anne’s momentous inaugural season, including her sold-out maiden voyage sailing on 3 May, and the official naming ceremony in Liverpool on 3 June.  

On Monday 3 June, all eyes will be on Liverpool Pier Head, which will be alive with activity in the lead up to a dazzling naming ceremony set to start from 4pm. Emma and Matt Willis will host this incredible event, and we’re proud to announce that they will be joined by Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts, with a unique, one-of-a-kind celebratory performance. Later in the evening we’ll be keeping the celebrations going as we’re joined by more special guests, leading up to what’s likely to be one of Queen Anne’s biggest sail away parties ever. 

Special guests for the voyage itself include legendary musician Midge Ure and West End and Broadway star Rachel Tucker, who will be performing live. Whilst former World Champion boxer Frank Bruno and Olivier award-winning actress Celia Imrie will be hosting captivating Insight talks.

If you are not able to join us in Liverpool, be sure to follow our social channels for exciting updates!"

SO excited for you all.

Should be a lovely event and having heard Midge Ure and Celia Imrie onboard as celebrity guest speakers, you're in for a treat.

Here's hoping a certain HRH with the same Christian name, is available for a bit of a do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Poole Boy said:

So far Cunards focus appears to be all about the naming ceremony, the maiden voyage appear to be an afterthought.

Fortuitously, we didn't book the initial Maiden. I think I'd have been a teeny  bit peeved with how things have turned out.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Fortuitously, we didn't book the initial Maiden. I think I'd have been a teeny  bit peeved with how things have turned out.

Given the premium we are paying to be on the maiden "teeny bit peeved" is an understatement, especially as Cunard started to release details on the naming ceremony after the balance due date for the maiden voyage.

Edited by Poole Boy
  • Like 1

I would be peeved, too. It does seem that the two cruises before the naming cruise are warm-ups when you'd expect them to be a big deal. 

I understand (and agree with) the choice of Liverpool, given its significance to Cunard, so why isn't the Around Britain cruise the maiden? Were they hedging their bets, scheduling cruises before this just in case things ran late and they had to cancel something? 

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I would be peeved, too. It does seem that the two cruises before the naming cruise are warm-ups when you'd expect them to be a big deal. 

I understand (and agree with) the choice of Liverpool, given its significance to Cunard, so why isn't the Around Britain cruise the maiden? Were they hedging their bets, scheduling cruises before this just in case things ran late and they had to cancel something? 

Remember the maiden was originally much earlier, and perhaps their plans for that were wrecked. They can’t have been planning from the start to make the RB cruise the naming one. They may have had to improvise.

42 minutes ago, Poole Boy said:

So far Cunards focus appears to be all about the naming ceremony, the maiden voyage appear to be an afterthought.

This seems to be the norm now for Carnival UK brands. I was booked on the Iona and Arvia maidens, both of which had date changes so I had to cancel but, given the naming cruises were the ones that had all the events, was not upset. Sun Princess is also having both a maiden and a naming cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Sharon said:

This seems to be the norm now for Carnival UK brands. I was booked on the Iona and Arvia maidens, both of which had date changes so I had to cancel but, given the naming cruises were the ones that had all the events, was not upset. Sun Princess is also having both a maiden and a naming cruise.

In a way that makes sense, two opportunities to get media attention for the line. But Cunard doesn't seem to be making much of a fuss about the maiden. I hope there will be a celebration at each maiden call, but it won't be the big deal that the naming is set to be. 

I'm excited about the information, and that there will be a dedicated viewing area in the heart of the action on the waterfront, but it will be standing only. For those of us shorter people we may not actually get to see much, but at least we will be able to hear!

3 hours ago, Poole Boy said:

especially as Cunard started to release details on the naming ceremony after the balance due date for the maiden voyage

This is what annoys me the most. I'd switch the voyages if given the chance. Happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think we'll be given much in comparison, even given the premium we paid.

4 hours ago, safarigal said:

I'm excited about the information, and that there will be a dedicated viewing area in the heart of the action on the waterfront, but it will be standing only. For those of us shorter people we may not actually get to see much, but at least we will be able to hear!

Maybe we should go out early to stake out a good spot!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, safarigal said:

We may also choose to remain aboard, and the festivities and ceremony will be broadcast live throughout QA.  That may be my option, as I would be unable to stand from 2.30 until 6.00pm.  We will wait and see.

On 4/11/2024 at 11:26 AM, safarigal said:

We have had a conversation about how the day in Liverpool will look for us.  and think we have decided to be back onboard before she moves off for the naming ceremony.  hubby is 6'3 1/2" and I'm 5'4". SOO. .he can see. but I will not be able to or want to stand for several hours and neither does he.   I would feel certain regardless of where we are, it will be a celebration..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking of staying on board as well. My wife is disabled and whilst there is a dedicated viewing area for wheelchair users, the time that you have to be ashore is too long, especially as it’s standing only (for me) and we’d both need to use toilets at least once during that time!

Does anyone know the reason why the ship is moving off the berth and whether we would be able to see anything from the ship other than on the TVs? I wonder if the stage will be open or have a backdrop (which would screen it from the ship)? We were on the QM2 Coronation voyage and when we were in Liverpool there was a music and fireworks display which we were able to watch in comfort from our starboard side balcony. We are starboard on QA as well so was hoping we could do the same, but this may be optimistic?

Edited by Selbourne

32 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We are thinking of staying on board as well. My wife is disabled and whilst there is a dedicated viewing area for wheelchair users, the time that you have to be ashore is too long, especially as it’s standing only (for me) and we’d both need to use toilets at least once during that time!

Does anyone know the reason why the ship is moving off the berth and whether we would be able to see anything from the ship other than on the TVs? I wonder if the stage will be open or have a backdrop (which would screen it from the ship)? We were on the QM2 Coronation voyage and when we were in Liverpool there was a music and fireworks display which we were able to watch in comfort from our starboard side balcony. We are starboard on QA as well so was hoping we could do the same, but this may be optimistic?

Selbourne, I believe Queen Anne's actual naming is going to completed in the same way Arvia's was last year in Barbados - I posted a video link of that on the roll call last week.  The Liverpool port area with it's tunnel etc is presumably not going to host the viewing area, most likely more along the front where Eurovision was when we were on QM2 last year.

My Cunard PC indicated to me that fireworks/music will be much grander than the hastily arranged Coronation effort, more in line with the 175th anniversary ones which were very spectacular and not just shoreside, hence the large crowds expected.

8 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Selbourne, I believe Queen Anne's actual naming is going to completed in the same way Arvia's was last year in Barbados - I posted a video link of that on the roll call last week.  The Liverpool port area with it's tunnel etc is presumably not going to host the viewing area, most likely more along the front where Eurovision was when we were on QM2 last year.

My Cunard PC indicated to me that fireworks/music will be much grander than the hastily arranged Coronation effort, more in line with the 175th anniversary ones which were very spectacular and not just shoreside, hence the large crowds expected.

That’s interesting. Thank you. I guess that would mean that the ship would still be quite close to the quayside, so those of us remaining on board might (hopefully) be able to see and hear something ‘live’ from from the ship (albeit the back of the performers) rather than just on screen?

If you recall, when we were on the Coronation cruise, QM2 was berthed with the starboard side against the quayside. When the ropes were let loose, the ship reversed back some way to the Cunard building, where she sounded her horns before progressing forward again. Could be a similar process with the ship holding in that position for the ceremony?

I know that we have been told that it will all be explained once we are on board, but I don’t think that being stuck ashore in a standing only area for hours would be comfortable for us.