Daniel Boulud dinner on Millennium - does it usually sell out before the cruise starts? (January 2025 Bali)

zitsky

Since we're in the Retreat I don't know that we want to do many specialty restaurants.  My husband likes Tuscan, I like the Daniel Boulud dinner.  On Millennium, without a Murano it seems that the Boulud dinner is more interesting.  Does it often sell out before the cruise?  I'm trying to figure out what's a decent price for it.  Right now it's on a small discount of $157.99 per person.  We have some OBC coming on board and there could be a better sale so I'm debating whether to do it and when to book.  I'm guessing there is no chance they will do the Veuve Clicquot dinner.

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Since we're in the Retreat I don't know that we want to do many specialty restaurants.  My husband likes Tuscan, I like the Daniel Boulud dinner.  On Millennium, without a Murano it seems that the Boulud dinner is more interesting.  Does it often sell out before the cruise?  I'm trying to figure out what's a decent price for it.  Right now it's on a small discount of $157.99 per person.  We have some OBC coming on board and there could be a better sale so I'm debating whether to do it and when to book.  I'm guessing there is no chance they will do the Veuve Clicquot dinner.

We are going to sail on Summit this Saturday.  The Chef's Table sold out well in advance.

Would anyone care to share what they paid for it or if the price I see is reasonable?  I’m guessing $157 pp is before gratuity and without wine pairing.

Thanks all.  I went ahead and booked it.  It may not be perfect but it's a nice alternative considering we won't have Murano.  With gratuities I think the total was $380+ so pretty expensive but it's only one happening once.

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Does it often sell out before the cruise?  I'm trying to figure out what's a decent price for it.  Right now it's on a small discount of $157.99 per person.

That is what I am seeing for our May 2nd cruise (16 days from now) and it's still being offered so guess it's not that popular depending on the sailing. 

It was sold out on both Millennium and Summit last year, but on Eclipse in March they added an extra session, which we were able to book after it showed sold out on the app. It was a lot of fun, and imo, the group you are with makes the experience. Our group was wonderful, and the food and service exceptional. We did do the wine pairing, because, we’ll,  we could and it was for my birthday, and the total bill was close to $500, including the gratuity. Very pricey. I  think, however, I wouldn’t mind doing it again. It might  be one and done, depending on how well I convince my DH.

Was it worth it, yes,  for us, but the cookbook included weighed a ton! Check with the Murano staff, there could be another night added, based on requests. It’s worth a shot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Wow ! Seriously ! $158 a person? You got to be kidding me. All I can say is….

ENJOY!

I’m joking with you but….  

$5,000 cruise?  No problem!

$158 dinner?  Too expensive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Thank you! (No sarcasm.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thanks all.  I went ahead and booked it.  It may not be perfect but it's a nice alternative considering we won't have Murano.  With gratuities I think the total was $380+ so pretty expensive but it's only one happening once.

Are you going to skip the wine pairing? I know it gets ridiculous at some point, but I want to believe it's curated for the menu. Which unfortunately the standard wines won't be. But the wine pairing can also be a LOT of wine, and at some point you stop appreciating it. (Years ago on I think Brilliance of the Seas we did a Chef's table that automatically came with the wine pairing. It was a great dinner. I rarely do wine pairings, even though I understand the theoretical benefit.)

8 hours ago, markeb said:

Are you going to skip the wine pairing? I know it gets ridiculous at some point, but I want to believe it's curated for the menu. Which unfortunately the standard wines won't be. But the wine pairing can also be a LOT of wine, and at some point you stop appreciating it. (Years ago on I think Brilliance of the Seas we did a Chef's table that automatically came with the wine pairing. It was a great dinner. I rarely do wine pairings, even though I understand the theoretical benefit.)

I was going to skip it but someone told me it is a LOT of wine, lol.  Honestly the last time I liked the food but the wines weren’t memorable.  I usually take notes if they’re good.  

Plus there is little time to ask questions about the wine since they are so busy.  I’ll probably skip the wine pairing and use our premium package.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I was going to skip it but someone told me it is a LOT of wine, lol.  Honestly the last time I liked the food but the wines weren’t memorable.  I usually take notes if they’re good.  

Plus there is little time to ask questions about the wine since they are so busy.  I’ll probably skip the wine pairing and use our premium package.  

We were in a suite and invited to the Chef’s Table on the Millennium in March. It was a great experience. The Galley tour alone is better than the typical Galley Tour.  As for the wine, the Sommelier will try to upsell you the $60 per person (plus gratuity). Not worth it.  The wine is not free flowing.  You are better off with using your Premium wine package and upgrade if you choose.

Dinner was fabulous, along with photograph and cookbook.  A one time experience.  

12 hours ago, zitsky said:

Looking back on years of cruising and holidays it is often the ‘little extras’ like special meals or special excursions which we have paid extra for that have been memorable.

We have done a few of these dining experiences and agree that the company you are with does make a real difference. After saying that, even our one bad experience was memorable!

So nice that you have booked early, gives you longer to look forward to it!

45 minutes ago, MandL said:

We were in a suite and invited to the Chef’s Table on the Millennium in March. It was a great experience. The Galley tour alone is better than the typical Galley Tour.  As for the wine, the Sommelier will try to upsell you the $60 per person (plus gratuity). Not worth it.  The wine is not free flowing.  You are better off with using your Premium wine package and upgrade if you choose.

Dinner was fabulous, along with photograph and cookbook.  A one time experience.  

You were invited?   Does that mean that you didn’t have to pay for it?  What  category of suite were you in? 

When sailing in a suite we would get  approached by the Sommelier trying to sell us a wine experience, and by the Maitre D to purchase one of those dining experiences.    They would say that there are a few openings if interested.   We were never offered it for free.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

I wish it was only $5,000.  If it was then I would have no problem paying $158.00 each for a mean when there is free food readily available. 

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

That's what we've done the last 2 times we went. It worked well.

1 hour ago, MandL said:

We we at the same dinner? March 4th?

3 hours ago, MandL said:

What was the excess baggage charge for the 50 pound cookbook?  On the Eclipse we were never offered it.

Thanks for the advice.

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I wish it was only $5,000.  If it was then I would have no problem paying $158.00 each for a mean when there is free food readily available. 

My husband doesn’t let me tell people what we spend on cruises.  It’s more than $158.  If I spend more than that I consider a dinner here or there part of the overall expense.

I liked the last Boulud dinner for the reason my husband does not.  The company.  I sat next to some teenagers who were with their parents.  I talked to them briefly but they were quite rude.  They stopped listening to my life story long before I got to my 5th job.

I think my husband thought we would all sit there debating whether French Bordeaux was better in 1967 or 1973.  But no, we are not that special.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What was the excess baggage charge for the 50 pound cookbook?  On the Eclipse we were never offered it.

Thanks for the advice.

We already have the cookbook and we already gave one to my sister, so we gave the latest one to someone on our FB group

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

$158 isn't any more than most excursions. We just consider it an excursion. 

If we do it again, we probably skip the wine pairing because it was a lot of wine…glasses got refilled quickly. I do remember feeling VERY good, and I did like most of the wines.
But that’s a personal decision, and I don’t think not having the wine pairing spoils the experience. 

If the ship still has a library you will find a few of the cookbooks that people left. 

We did a chefs table.   I had a premium drink pack.    I mention that to the sommelier.   He suggested a red wine.   I tried it and it was ok, nothing special just red wine.  I am not a wine expert or connoisseur.   I asked if it was covered by the package and he said yes it is $10.   Fine.   My glass would get between 1/2 and 3/4 full and he would top it off.   At the end of the dinner and he started to top it off again and I told him not to.    I think I left about 3/4 of it.   He then gave me a bill to sign.  It was for 6 glasses of wine at $10 per plus the gratuity.  I asked why I was getting it and he said because it was $10 over the premium allowance.   I didn’t want to make a scene so I signed it.  It was for $72.    I took the receipt and went to GR and told them the problem.   The next day I got a call.   The charge was taken off and they were sorry for the misunderstanding.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅