Luggage/boarding time question

We sail this saturday and have been debating on what time to get to the port.  We are thinking about getting there early to get our luggage in queue so it will hopefully get to our cabin early afternoon, but are also not excited about waiting around the port until they allow us to check in.  Our last cruise, not princess, our luggage didnt arrive until after we sailed which made for very casual dinner attire for that night...  

Some other things that may factor in.  We are in a suite so does that play into the luggage delivery priority?  Also, i think there is a separate waiting area in the terminal for suite guests, Port Everglades, so that might not be too bad if they allow us in. If we did go early, it would be around 10:30 so hopefully they will allow us in the lounge at that time?

Thx in advance for the info.

Luggage - probably expedited.  Likely luggage drop off starting fairly early - 10ish or before.  Interestingly have found dropping luggage early does not equate with first to cabin.  We bring a carry on with us so we have swim suits and a change of clothes. 

Separate "area" - yes.  You will board first or on arrival.

Want to board really fast - come around 12:30 - likely walk straight thru with no waiting.

Have not found boarding to be a big hassle with the prechecking and green lanes today.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I just sailed on the Enchanted out of Port Everglades this past week.

We arrived at the port at about 9:40.  Stood outside for about 20 minutes until they opened up the doors to go through security at 10:00am.  By 10:15 or so we were through the security line and had checked in via green lane.  The separate lounge at Port Everglades houses Platinum, Elite, and Suite guests.  Being platinum that is where we were sent.  It didn't matter much though because we only spent about 5 minutes with maybe 15-20 other people who'd gotten there that early and then they told us to go ahead and board around 10:20 or so.  Anyone arriving after that point that was Plat/Elite/Suite wouldn't have a lounge to go to, they'd just be directed to go directly on board.

I gathered from reading what people said who boarded on the sailing after ours that it played out the same way.  YMMV, that is easily the earliest any of the events I describe above have happened, historically my experience has been security starts closer to 10:15 and actual boarding of the ship closer to 11-11:15, but they seem to be operating like a well oiled machine at this exact moment, so your odds are good that if you show up at 10:30 you'll walk into the ship boarding line.

Luggage we had by 1pm.  Again, YMMV, but in my 10ish Princess cruises I've never had luggage show up later than 2-3pm.

Edited by PMGS247

Post 3 basically describes the process at Port Everglades. People start lining up outside the terminal building at 9:00 or so. Some are there even earlier. as they come directly from their flights. Somewhere around 9:30 to 10am the doors open and you have to go through security. This is a fairly slow process. I did not see any priority lines to go through security. Once through security the group splits into green lane for those that already have their medallion and blue lane for those that have to pick up the medallion at the port. I had to pick my medallion up. It took about 5 minutes. Passengers then go to the waiting area until actual boarding begins. The wait was not long. Boarding begins somewhere around 10:30 to 11am and goes quickly. Cabins were not ready until somewhere between 12:30 and 1pm. Passengers were requested to remain in the public areas until then.

Luggage. Drop off is outside and handled by the port employees. All luggage is stacked together in large bins to be loaded onto the ship. Your luggage tag will have your cabin number and a code which indicates the section of the ship. On board crew delivers luggage to the cabins. From my experience those that drop off their luggage early don't automatically get it delivered early. At least that is my experience with almost 50 Princess cruises. Sometimes it's there early sometimes not. 

• Like 1

Great info everyone, thank you.  And that is quite a bit earlier than what we have experienced with other cruise lines of late.  I dont think we have ever arrived much before 11:30 given we wait until the last minute to check out of the hotel which is usually 11 and then go to the port so usually on the ship around 12:30ish.  

The hotel we are staying at on friday has a checkout of 12 and we were debating on waiting until that time to leave for the port, but based on this info, i think we are going to leave earlier. Maybe around 10:30.  thx again

21 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I don’t know how Princess does it, but when we sail from Galvestonbwe are always on the ship between 10:20 and 10:30.  So nice to walk straight on.

Well, thats great, and then not so great when we disembark.  Our flight is at 2:30pm so im guessing that if passengers are getting on that early, we are going to have to get off really early so fingers crossed they offer the check luggage option on our cruise next week or we will be lugging that stuff around for a couple of hours.

12 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Well, thats great, and then not so great when we disembark.  Our flight is at 2:30pm so im guessing that if passengers are getting on that early, we are going to have to get off really early so fingers crossed they offer the check luggage option on our cruise next week or we will be lugging that stuff around for a couple of hours.

Disembarkment works as follows:

Passengers are to leave their cabins no later than 8am.

One DR is open for breakfast. I think the times are 6:30 until 8:30, but that may vary a little.

The International Cafe will be open with breakfast selections. It is crowded as many people gather in the Piazza area while waiting to disembark. The buffet is also open from 6am until 9am.

Early walk off begins somewhere around 6:30am and proceeds in groups until around 7:30am.

After that regular disembarkment begins in groups according to your luggage tag received in your cabin. The tags are colored and numbered such as blue 2, brown 1 and so on. When your number is called you proceed to the gangplank and exit into the terminal to retrieve your luggage  and pass through immigration. Immigration is facial recognition.

All passengers have to be off the ship by the last call which is around 9:30am. Absolutely no one is permitted to remain on board. After the final passengers disembark the intransit, b2b, passengers exit the ship with a staff member, are processed through immigration and then re-board. General boarding then follows starting around 10:30 to 11am.

Certain airlines offer EZ Check. With this process your bags are collected loaded unto airline transportation and you pick them up when you arrive at your final destination. I believe the fee is $25/pp plus whatever the airline baggage fee is. You will receive a form in your cabin and you can also ask at passenger services.    

• Like 2

This is great information. My husband and I are flying from the west coast on a red eye the night before our cruise, so we’ll land at about 7:30 in FLL and then head to the ship. We won’t be in a huge hurry but at the same time, it is nice knowing that arriving early to the port won’t be a problem. We’re not in a suite but we aren’t expecting to do anything than wait around at the port until we can go through security and board anyway.

I take it, based on the info shared above, that Princess does not assign embarkation “appointments” like Carnival and Norwegian? 

As for disembarking, we are flying home much later in the day - I want to say our flight leaves at 7pm. We don’t mind this, as we can take the day to relax and look around since we won’t have time pre-cruise. We are flying home on United. Does anyone happen to know by chance if that is one of the airlines that does EZ Check? It would be far easier than lugging the bags around all day, that is for sure. 

14 minutes ago, cruisinfamily7609 said:

This is great information. My husband and I are flying from the west coast on a red eye the night before our cruise, so we’ll land at about 7:30 in FLL and then head to the ship. We won’t be in a huge hurry but at the same time, it is nice knowing that arriving early to the port won’t be a problem. We’re not in a suite but we aren’t expecting to do anything than wait around at the port until we can go through security and board anyway.

I take it, based on the info shared above, that Princess does not assign embarkation “appointments” like Carnival and Norwegian? 

As for disembarking, we are flying home much later in the day - I want to say our flight leaves at 7pm. We don’t mind this, as we can take the day to relax and look around since we won’t have time pre-cruise. We are flying home on United. Does anyone happen to know by chance if that is one of the airlines that does EZ Check? It would be far easier than lugging the bags around all day, that is for sure. 

Princess have abandoned formal arrival and check-in times. Basically, show up when it best works for you and your party. We usually sail out of PE a few times a year (always arriving at the pier by around 9AM), and Princess does it better than most cruise lines. Assuming you actually land at 7:30AM at FLL, by the time you get your bags, get a taxi and drive the 20 feet from FLL to the port ;o), it will probably be around 8:30. That's a bit early for the security lines to open up, so you may sit outside for 30-60 minutes +/- until they open up the check-in line. If it's Terminal 2, the usual Princess terminal at PE, the "waiting" area outside is a bit loud and frenetic, but there are benches you can sit at while you wait for the security and check-in to open. You may want to consider waiting at FLL before heading to the port, as it will be a bit quieter and you won't be breathing bus fumes.

Re the EZ Check, you will receive a document in your cabin a few days before return showing the details as to which airlines do EZ Check for your particular sailing, but I'm pretty sure United is one of them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skynight said:

Passengers are to leave their cabins no later than 8am.

One DR is open for breakfast. I think the times are 6:30 until 8:30, but that may vary a little.

The International Cafe will be open with breakfast selections. It is crowded as many people gather in the Piazza area while waiting to disembark. The buffet is also open from 6am until 9am.

Early walk off begins somewhere around 6:30am and proceeds in groups until around 7:30am.

After that regular disembarkment begins in groups according to your luggage tag received in your cabin. The tags are colored and numbered such as blue 2, brown 1 and so on. When your number is called you proceed to the gangplank and exit into the terminal to retrieve your luggage  and pass through immigration. Immigration is facial recognition.

All passengers have to be off the ship by the last call which is around 9:30am.

This is great information but YIKES that's early. Our son is picking us up at the port and there is no way he'll be up by then. 🤣

Oh well, I've wanted to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum for a while now. Maybe we'll have him pick us up there. 😉

16 hours ago, cruisinfamily7609 said:

Some information regarding your comments.

Port Everglades is approximately 20 minutes from the airport. They are close.

Check out the ship's pier assignment on the Port Everglades website. Your ship will either be at pier 2, or one of the mid port piers such as pier 21. https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/

For those that arrive early I know there are limited benches outside the terminal at pier 2. I'm not certain about the other piers. If you arrive too early porters may not be accepting luggage. You may have to wait and then walk over to their location. It's very close at pier 2, just down the ramp.

No boarding times. Boarding goes quickly once it begins between 10:30 and 11:00. You will be on board for lunch. One DR will be open from noon until 1:30 for sit down lunch. You can also find lunch in the buffet, or at the grill and pizza by the pools. It depends on the the ship.

Disembarking: There are disembark tours you might want to consider. If you do not have any luggage then it is easy to grab a taxi and head to the beach area. There is also a water taxi right next to the port which gives you a nice water tour and you can hop off at any stop.  You have to pre-buy tickets. No walk ups. Check on line.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Princess have abandoned formal arrival and check-in times. Basically, show up when it best works for you and your party. We usually sail out of PE a few times a year (always arriving at the pier by around 9AM), and Princess does it better than most cruise lines. Assuming you actually land at 7:30AM at FLL, by the time you get your bags, get a taxi and drive the 20 feet from FLL to the port ;o), it will probably be around 8:30. That's a bit early for the security lines to open up, so you may sit outside for 30-60 minutes +/- until they open up the check-in line. If it's Terminal 2, the usual Princess terminal at PE, the "waiting" area outside is a bit loud and frenetic, but there are benches you can sit at while you wait for the security and check-in to open. You may want to consider waiting at FLL before heading to the port, as it will be a bit quieter and you won't be breathing bus fumes.

Re the EZ Check, you will receive a document in your cabin a few days before return showing the details as to which airlines do EZ Check for your particular sailing, but I'm pretty sure United is one of them.

This is perfect information - thanks! I could see that the airport was really pretty close to the port so I figured we wouldn’t need to rush. We might just stop and grab a bite somewhere in the airport since we will have been flying all night - but I don’t know, we also will be on west coast time and might not be be hungry until much later. And, as you mentioned, the chances of actually getting from SFO (San Francisco) to FLL on time...well, I’ll just say I’m not betting on it, but we’re at least on a non-stop flight. 😄

Coffee though...that’s going to be a must that morning, at minimum! Red eye isn’t my preferred way of flying, but in this case, it actually makes the most sense. We’ll take our time getting to the cruise terminal, after all, we’ll already be on vacation! Thanks so much for your help! We’ve never been on Princess, and I think it’s been about 10 years since we cruised out of Florida (too long, really). 

7 hours ago, skynight said:

Some information regarding your comments.

Port Everglades is approximately 20 minutes from the airport. They are close.

Check out the ship's pier assignment on the Port Everglades website. Your ship will either be at pier 2, or one of the mid port piers such as pier 21. https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/

For those that arrive early I know there are limited benches outside the terminal at pier 2. I'm not certain about the other piers. If you arrive too early porters may not be accepting luggage. You may have to wait and then walk over to their location. It's very close at pier 2, just down the ramp.

No boarding times. Boarding goes quickly once it begins between 10:30 and 11:00. You will be on board for lunch. One DR will be open from noon until 1:30 for sit down lunch. You can also find lunch in the buffet, or at the grill and pizza by the pools. It depends on the the ship.

Disembarking: There are disembark tours you might want to consider. If you do not have any luggage then it is easy to grab a taxi and head to the beach area. There is also a water taxi right next to the port which gives you a nice water tour and you can hop off at any stop.  You have to pre-buy tickets. No walk ups. Check on line.

Thanks so much for the tips, I appreciate it! 

2 hours ago, cruisinfamily7609 said:

This is perfect information - thanks! I could see that the airport was really pretty close to the port so I figured we wouldn’t need to rush. We might just stop and grab a bite somewhere in the airport since we will have been flying all night - but I don’t know, we also will be on west coast time and might not be be hungry until much later. And, as you mentioned, the chances of actually getting from SFO (San Francisco) to FLL on time...well, I’ll just say I’m not betting on it, but we’re at least on a non-stop flight. 😄

Coffee though...that’s going to be a must that morning, at minimum! Red eye isn’t my preferred way of flying, but in this case, it actually makes the most sense. We’ll take our time getting to the cruise terminal, after all, we’ll already be on vacation! Thanks so much for your help! We’ve never been on Princess, and I think it’s been about 10 years since we cruised out of Florida (too long, really). 

Porters may not be so engaging, so you'd better ask them if you are OK to drop off your luggage. I managed to drop off ours around 8:30 before. 

There are lots of stores, coffee shops, restaurants etc. starting from 15m walk from the cruise port. Einstein bagel, total wine for your wine shopping etc.

We we haven't been luck on the actually boarding time though. They open the waiting area doors around 10 alright, but then you start waiting in the waiting area. You are giving numbers (or was it letters) and being let in in groups etc. etc. In my experience, never before 11:30 & as late as 1:30 is realistic time to be on the ship.

United normally does participate in EZCheck and it would be great for you.  The Fort Lauderdale airport won't let you check bags until 4 hours before your flight, so when EZCheck isn't working I have to store bags ($10 each, and they search them) a half level down from right end of the ticketing desks.  Then we go in to the United lounge until I can check luggage in.  I leave the lounge, get the baggage tags, get the bags, drop them off and reenter security.

Have had two cruises recently where the luggage handling wasn't available, but we ALWAYS use it if it is.  Ask at Guest Services early in the cruise for the form.

If it isn't available, you might want to rent a car for the day.  Avis and Budget are just across 17th from the north port entrance, within walking distance if your ship is at the usual terminal.  When you make your reservation specify airport dropoff.  No dropoff charges in Florida.