South America/Antarctica 01/09/2026

Called the advisor at HAL about the 2026 South America / Antarctica voyage for early January . I was surprised to learn that at this time the pre and post hotels and transfers are already waitlisted .  She has put me on a waitlist for that so  I could get what I wanted . Looking around though at other choices . I  was surprised this far out though ..really popular  .. I did this same one 20 years ago on Amsterdam and loved it !

Wow we booked this cruise and I didn't even think to look for a transfer so far in advance. Oh well. I guess I will join you on the waitlist for the transfer to the port.  

Unless it is that the hotels etc are just not available yet and they are putting people on the wait list for when they are ready for bookings?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Archipelago said:

Called the advisor at HAL about the 2026 South America / Antarctica voyage for early January . I was surprised to learn that at this time the pre and post hotels and transfers are already waitlisted .  She has put me on a waitlist for that so  I could get what I wanted . Looking around though at other choices . I  was surprised this far out though ..really popular  .. I did this same one 20 years ago on Amsterdam and loved it !

Why do you have to book a hotel through HAL?  Go to Expedia and check them out.  I’m sure you’ll save some money.  Is the port a long distance away?  If not it would be easy to get transport.  Have you checked out your roll call?  There might be someone there who already has it all figured out.  

@ArchipelagoGenerally, hotel reservations open about a year before the date.  (This is also true for flights.) IMO you are early.  

I was on this cruise in February and did a Live thread; there are several other live threads from the previous cruises.  You may want to check them out.

I booked our hotels and transfers independently, saved a great deal of money and was extremely happy with the independent experience.

This is a trip of a life time. Enjoy!

49 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@ArchipelagoGenerally, hotel reservations open about a year before the date.  (This is also true for flights.) IMO you are early.  

I was on this cruise in February and did a Live thread; there are several other live threads from the previous cruises.  You may want to check them out.

I booked our hotels and transfers independently, saved a great deal of money and was extremely happy with the independent experience.

This is a trip of a life time. Enjoy!

@0106 do you recall when the hotel packages became available for your SA cruise?  I realize you booked independently but I hope you have a general idea.  I'm booked for Jan/25 and the last time I checked a few weeks ago, there still was no information on hotel packages.  I'm getting the dreaded 404 error today so cannot check if it's up now.  I have independent hotel reservations but want to see what is included with HAL's package.  And I'm waiting to book our flights.

Another way to find out about hotels, transfers, and non HAL excursions is to look at the roll calls for the Oosterdam for January and February cruises 2024.  They were very active roll calls and some great info included.  I was on the January 7 cruise and got a lot of my info from previous roll calls.  Cherie 

• Like 2

@Alberta QuilterI’m sorry I can’t help you with when hotel packages became available, I never use them.  Transfer from the airport to hotel and to the ship were easy and inexpensive in Buenos Aires.  Our flight in Santiago was not until 11:55 pm so we booked an excellent all day private tour and transfer.  Details are in my live thread.  Do you have a TA or PCC?  They should be able to help you with the hotel packages.  I believe @NorbertsNiece and @TravelBluebird may have booked using hotel packages.  Both did a live thread.  Here’s mine

I use Flightease to book international flights but regardless of where you book, I suggest you start looking for flights asap.

Thanks very much.  I did follow all of the blogs this year.  I'll check them again for the hotel information.  Yes, have a TA but it's the big box one so not the best for pre cruise advice.  I did do this once before (without Antartica) so did the pre-cruise tour with HAL but this time I'm travelling with my sister who has never been.  We'll also be booking the flights on points so that's why I want to get going on the flight booking.

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

@Alberta QuilterI’m sorry I can’t help you with when hotel packages became available, I never use them.  Transfer from the airport to hotel and to the ship were easy and inexpensive in Buenos Aires.  Our flight in Santiago was not until 11:55 pm so we booked an excellent all day private tour and transfer.  Details are in my live thread.  Do you have a TA or PCC?  They should be able to help you with the hotel packages.  I believe @NorbertsNiece and @TravelBluebird may have booked using hotel packages.  Both did a live thread.  Here’s mine

I use Flightease to book international flights but regardless of where you book, I suggest you start looking for flights asap.

My flight package was booked through my UK TA.

Linda 

• Like 1

I always book HAL hotels way in advance, they seem to sell out quickly - many, many months in advance.  But stay waitlisted as some will choose to drop the HAL hotel as final payment clears.  But do in the meantime find a suitable substitute and book a refundable room.  

heads up - if you book one night in the Santiago hotel your room is ready when you arrive very early in the morning and you can have a complimentary full breakfast both mornings. You get two nights for the price of one - well sort of 😉. It is in a very walkable safe neighborhood with plenty to do. 

• Like 1

The problem is that the HAL hotel information is not yet available (finally worked for me a few minutes ago and I was able to confirm that there is no hotel information yet) for our Jan/25 cruise.  I thought that information would be available about a year prior to the cruise...

Will see how I can navigate this as a solo. I would probably rather go on to Valparaiso the day before and not take a chance the day of the embarkation  that something could happen with my ride. Will speak with MasterCard Travel as they can help arrange this . Will know what I can do though before I book anything .

9 minutes ago, Archipelago said:

Will see how I can navigate this as a solo. I would probably rather go on to Valparaiso the day before and not take a chance the day of the embarkation  that something could happen with my ride. Will speak with MasterCard Travel as they can help arrange this . Will know what I can do though before I book anything .

Your cruise leaves from Valparaiso?  I thought San Antonio was the preferred departure port for HAL now.  

• Like 1

Just now, Archipelago said:

Oops..it IS San Antonio ..is that Santiago or close to Santiago ???

You want to stay in Santiago, not terribly close but close enough that you can take a private transfer with a wine tour if you choose or go with HAL transfer.  San Antonio is a working port town, Santiago is a better option IMHO. I have stayed in Santiago a number of times and i always can find something to do. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

You want to stay in Santiago, not terribly close but close enough that you can take a private transfer with a wine tour if you choose or go with HAL transfer.  San Antonio is a working port town, Santiago is a better option IMHO. I have stayed in Santiago a number of times and i always can find something to do. 

I agree with you Mary.  They should stay in Santiago and get that tour lined up.

5 minutes ago, Archipelago said:

Okay let me see ...What time is embarkation on Hal ? I would want to get there early . Arrange the driver in plenty of time to allow for any delays or something unexpected . 

Another thing to check is if it is a Sunday departure then the wineries will be closed and most everything else so if that is the case simply get a private transfer without tour 

I just looked it is a Friday that the ship departs .I would probably just get the private transfer ...do you get an embarkation time on your booking ? I got the HAL package before so don't remember when we went. 

7 minutes ago, Archipelago said:

I just looked it is a Friday that the ship departs .I would probably just get the private transfer ...do you get an embarkation time on your booking ? I got the HAL package before so don't remember when we went. 

Which HAL package?  If you are staying at the hotel the shuttle is included in your package.  If you are staying at the HAL hotel stop at the HAL desk in the lobby and arrange your shuttle time there. 

5 minutes ago, Archipelago said:

This was years ago . I was just going to get a hotel independent...the package was a long time ago.

Ok, I misread. If you look at your booking confirmation or your itinerary it will give you sail away time.  HAL lately has been assigning everyone noon embarkation.  You can get there with no worries at 11.  

There are so many reputable private guide/drivers that will take you from Santiago to San Antonio.  Also, when making your hotel reservations, if you choose a hotel in the Vitacura neighborhood of Santiago you can easily walk at night to restaurants etc.  We hired a private guide who met us at the airport and took us to our hotel.  We arranged 4 days with him which included Santiago, the Andes, a vineyard, and delivery to the port, but he also offers just airport to hotel and hotel to port if that is all you want.  I know that you are interested in a package but sometimes it can be easier when there is no need for shuttles and 3rd parties.  This is just my preferred way to travel.  You'll have a great time.  Cherie