Live from the Jewel April 29-May 13, 2024: will definitely contain sarcasm and grumpiness

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from YVRteacher! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

YVRteacher was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

It’s the time of year for the annual father/daughter birthday cruise on the lovely NCL Jewel from Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver.

My name is Yvonne and my dad and I have been cruising with NCL for 14 years. We have been on the Jewel, Jade, Gem, Pearl, Pride of America, Sun, Star, Breakaway and Encore together and I have been on the Bliss. I will become an Ambassador on this cruise and the day I hit 700 points will be my birthday! (Yes, I know the points aren’t awarded until after the cruise is completed but I’m allowed to be excited for this!) NCL and especially the Jewel are so special to us. 

In my real life, when I’m not cruising, I am an elementary school teacher librarian and literacy mentor. I love to read

IMG_4621.thumb.jpeg.e5a7df35e67f61ae2e7a8935d94fa0ba.jpeg

and enjoy being outdoors, eating meals out with friends, photography, art, planning and organizing anything and everything and drinking mimosas with @ceilidh1 

IMG_3825.thumb.jpeg.012a13650e8c57ec05a5c7dc74d6297c.jpeg

Thanks to @ceilidh1 my dad and I and two friends will be attending the Vancouver Opera’s production of Carmen the day before the cruise. My dad I both love exploring, animals, theatre, musicals and fancy production shows. Since NCL has changed their entertainment offerings we are going to buy thermal spa passes for the two weeks. Two weeks of spa! This is a first!

For anyone who doesn’t know, my dad and I went on our first NCL cruise in 2010 when my mom died and I just couldn’t be home for Christmas that year. My dad and I discovered a shared love of cruising and that we travel extremely well together. In 2020 my dad had a deep brain thalamic bleed (severe stroke) and he now has Cognitive Vascular Dementia which he denies. The past year has been a year of change for him and he is finding daily tasks to be more and more difficult. He lives in a senior’s residence where he has his own suite but has meals provided in a main dining room. There are bus trips, pub nights, Bingo sessions, farm animal visits, chicks for Easter, bee hives and a beekeeper, flamenco dancers, luaus, and a 24 hour concierge. He gets his place cleaned but does his own laundry. It’s pretty much like living on a cruise ship that doesn’t go anywhere (except for the bees.) When I asked my dad what he was most looking forward to on this cruise he said, “getting away from it all.” 

Our cruises have become less adventurous as my dad’s needs have changed so this won’t be a review that includes helicopter trips or ziplining. In lieu of adventure and feats of daring I will be sharing all my dad’s complaints  and comments.

We always book the same two-bedroom penthouse suite and when I returned from the spring break cruise aboard the Breakaway this was waiting in the mail

IMG_3934.thumb.jpeg.129fab9e516074b059fddb4ac8f0f086.jpeg

IMG_3935.thumb.jpeg.9816db7450d78aeafa358d1a76bdec51.jpeg

IMG_3936.thumb.jpeg.41e954e3c2ff16683c0f4d53d9c66b5b.jpeg

Who needs six luggage tags for one week?  Someone attending an Overpackers Anonymous convention??

The next week an envelop arrived with the same letter and six more luggage tags for the southbound cruise. Now we have 12.

Since we only do carry-on luggage the number of luggage tags we need between the two of us is zero. NCL could have saved the money they spent printing and mailing these luggage tags and purchased a bag of hashbrowns instead.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 16

5 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

It’s the time of year for the annual father/daughter birthday cruise on the lovely NCL Jewel from Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver.

My name is Yvonne and my dad and I have been cruising with NCL for 14 years. We have been on the Jewel, Jade, Gem, Pearl, Pride of America, Sun, Star, Breakaway and Encore together and I have been on the Bliss. I will become an Ambassador on this cruise and the day I hit 700 points will be my birthday! (Yes, I know the points aren’t awarded until after the cruise is completed but I’m allowed to be excited for this!) NCL and especially the Jewel are so special to us. 

In my real life, when I’m not cruising, I am an elementary school teacher librarian and literacy mentor. I love to read

IMG_4621.thumb.jpeg.e5a7df35e67f61ae2e7a8935d94fa0ba.jpeg

and enjoy being outdoors, eating meals out with friends, photography, art, planning and organizing anything and everything and drinking mimosas with @ceilidh1 

IMG_3825.thumb.jpeg.012a13650e8c57ec05a5c7dc74d6297c.jpeg

Thanks to @ceilidh1 my dad and I and two friends will be attending the Vancouver Opera’s production of Carmen the day before the cruise. My dad I both love exploring, animals, theatre, musicals and fancy production shows. Since NCL has changed their entertainment offerings we are going to buy thermal spa passes for the two weeks. Two weeks of spa! This is a first!

For anyone who doesn’t know, my dad and I went on our first NCL cruise in 2010 when my mom died and I just couldn’t be home for Christmas that year. My dad and I discovered a shared love of cruising and that we travel extremely well together. In 2020 my dad had a deep brain thalamic bleed (severe stroke) and he now has Cognitive Vascular Dementia which he denies. The past year has been a year of change for him and he is finding daily tasks to be more and more difficult. He lives in a senior’s residence where he has his own suite but has meals provided in a main dining room. There are bus trips, pub nights, Bingo sessions, farm animal visits, chicks for Easter, bee hives and a beekeeper, flamenco dancers, luaus, and a 24 hour concierge. He gets his place cleaned but does his own laundry. It’s pretty much like living on a cruise ship that doesn’t go anywhere (except for the bees.) When I asked my dad what he was most looking forward to on this cruise he said, “getting away from it all.” 

Our cruises have become less adventurous as my dad’s needs have changed so this won’t be a review that includes helicopter trips or ziplining. In lieu of adventure and feats of daring I will be sharing all my dad’s complaints  and comments.

We always book the same two-bedroom penthouse suite and when I returned from the spring break cruise aboard the Breakaway this was waiting in the mail

IMG_3934.thumb.jpeg.129fab9e516074b059fddb4ac8f0f086.jpeg

IMG_3935.thumb.jpeg.9816db7450d78aeafa358d1a76bdec51.jpeg

IMG_3936.thumb.jpeg.41e954e3c2ff16683c0f4d53d9c66b5b.jpeg

Who needs six luggage tags for one week?  Someone attending an Overpackers Anonymous convention??

The next week an envelop arrived with the same letter and six more luggage tags for the southbound cruise. Now we have 12.

Since we only do carry-on luggage the number of luggage tags we need between the two of us is zero. NCL could have saved the money they spent printing and mailing these luggage tags and purchased a bag of hashbrowns instead.

Am I ever ready for this! Can't wait for dad to get away from it all...I feel him! Take the 12 luggage tags and covertly put them on other people's bags - let's see what you end up with! 

As an aside, in my mind (which isn't 100% sharp right now) you were leaving tomorrow. That's not even possible, since I know you are coming to Carmen next week...but...that's my mind!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

@YVRteacher- loving your review style and am going to steal your “calendar” of events idea for our future cruises.  DH is always asking “when/where are we doing this/that?” So I want to do something that he can look at hanging on the wall, which he would have to actually look at, but that is beside the point.  We love Alaska and the Jewel. And reading your review last year inspired us to book Alaska for 2025.  It’s our 5th time, so not much arm twisting needed.  Looking forward to the next 2 weeks of entries.

• Like 2

@MrsTocko I don’t think I’ll ever cruise without a big paper calendar planner! It takes the information out of my brain and makes it visible.

Which ship did you book for 2025? The Jade is replacing the Jewel for a Vancouver to Whittier journey.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Am I ever ready for this! Can't wait for dad to get away from it all...I feel him! Take the 12 luggage tags and covertly put them on other people's bags - let's see what you end up with! 

As an aside, in my mind (which isn't 100% sharp right now) you were leaving tomorrow. That's not even possible, since I know you are coming to Carmen next week...but...that's my mind!

We better not be leaving tomorrow because I haven’t gone to my dad’s place to make sure his passport is packed (to avoid the forgotten passport fiasco from the Spirit last July!)

• Like 4

For anyone departing from the Port of Vancouver on an upcoming cruise, Granville Island is beautiful in spring. I had Friday afternoon off and took myself there for a field trip/shore excursion

IMG_3939.thumb.jpeg.b263ec63ba9bae37584b965a8e6b7139.jpeg

IMG_3941.thumb.jpeg.137e842dd0d196b59e95157da159ca42.jpeg

IMG_3940.thumb.jpeg.d6088423f03d282fd5b1201ab84c5a29.jpeg

Olde World Fudge Co even has chocolate covered strawberries if you want a pre-cruise fix

IMG_3878.thumb.jpeg.c2f36d1fb42b16e7b2ec56a06c0fd400.jpeg

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

@MrsTocko I don’t think I’ll ever cruise without a big paper calendar planner! It takes the information out of my brain and makes it visible.

Which ship did you book for 2025? The Jade is replacing the Jewel for a Vancouver to Whittier journey.

We booked the Bliss. We have done bliss it Alaska in 2019, and we it’s ok.  We like the smaller ships for sure.  We did the Jade (Caribbean-2018), and booked her again for March 2026, Mexican riviera (round trip out of San Diego-40 minutes from home). Our deciding factors for the next Alaska were itinerary (Sitka is a new port for us and DH wanted to repeat ISP), and timing.  DH has July off (special ed aide at his alma mater), and I want to try to catch salmon run.  We booked Jade mainly because we could do it for spring break from home.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I didn’t know about Cruise Critic until 2020. I lurked for two years before joining. My first “live from the xxx” was this one

Two Encore cruises happened that summer and Alexa was on both

We celebrated Christmas 2022 on the Jewel

This was the cruise where I didn’t get dinner during Dinner with the Officers but was also the cruise where @fstuff1 and I became such great friends

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2920802-live-from-the-bliss-march-12-26-2023-letters-home-to-dad/#comment-64939311

Last year’s birthday cruise was wonderful 

and so was the Spirit in July 2023. I forgot to list the Spirit in my first post.

Last summer was the cruise of doom which almost did me in

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2951802-live-from-the-ncl-star-july-23-august-15-2023-will-i-survive-23-days-without-the-beverage-package/

Thankfully two weeks on the Breakaway in March 2024 completely restored my faith in and love for NCL

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2951802-live-from-the-ncl-star-july-23-august-15-2023-will-i-survive-23-days-without-the-beverage-package/

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 6

Pre cruise

As mentioned, my dad has changed a lot this year. His memory slips away more and more each day like a glacier retreating. Sometimes it’s imperceptible but droplet by droplet it disappears. With the loss of memory comes awareness of the loss, worry and frustration. When we traveled to San Diego in December for a land-based vacation I noticed how he started the day by swearing at every little thing: a stuck drawer, a decision about which shirt to wear, a foot that feels too far away to reach to put a sock on. I kept telling him not to be so hard on himself and to try to have three positive thoughts for every negative one but he ruled that out and swore at me. He calls everything stupid and he thinks people can’t hear him even though his swearing is at full volume. If you hear someone insulting the trivia questions, it’s likely him. I think I might make up our own trivia questions to help my dad feel successful. Questions will be based on old time rock and roll and will be along the lines of 

“what is Elvis’ last name?” and “when the Everly Brothers came to Bristol and one got sick, which one did you see live in concert?” and “how did the Big Bopper die?” He would know all of those but he would not be able to tell you what he had for breakfast today.

I try to balance my dad’s invasive thoughts with humour and each time he points out something he doesn’t know I tell him he is doing great and that his day is already a success because at least he didn’t put his underwear on over his jeans. 

Yes, I submitted the Special Needs Access Desk form and have requested help navigating the port in Vancouver and one other adaptation: small portions. My dad panics when he gets a plate with too much food. He knows he can’t eat a lot and he was raised in a home where all 8 kids had to eat everything on their plates. He feels stressed when presented with an American-sized portion.

He does not feel stressed when a large beer appears before him.

This is the Accessibility and Medical Questionnaire which gets submitted to The Access Desk. 
IMG_3942.thumb.jpeg.c07176804ce7ab4befc2720a339f1be2.jpegIMG_3943.thumb.jpeg.b6f33c9e911a726d10435de3c6a09b52.jpegIMG_3944.thumb.jpeg.a109e6f35411c9093fcf6fb6c5cd5706.jpeg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

NCL could have saved the money they spent printing and mailing these luggage tags and purchased a bag of hashbrowns instead.

😄😄😄

I'm following along as always and once again appreciate your humorous writing style! No one will ever know why NCL pulled those hashbrowns, but they will never be forgiven for it! Keep us posted if they ever show up, as well as the elusive cookies. Wishing you and your dad safe travels!

❤️️ Ashley

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I’ll follow along, too. I really enjoy your writing style, humour and sarcasm, as you know 😊

My mum had vascular dementia the last ten years of her life, so I think I know a little bit of the challenges and grief you’re going through with your dad. 
I’m going on a cruise during the first part of May, too, around the British Isles, with another company than NCL this time (that company’s name is also in my CC name 😉

PS Am I the only person on CC that don’t miss the hash browns? We don’t have them in Norway, and I never eat potatoes for breakfast 😉

• Like 1

@Norwegianprincess hello my friend!

Those dinners we enjoyed on the Star were so special and fun!

Thank you for sharing about your mom. I find it so helpful to meet and know people who understand.

Guess what? I’m doing the same cruise as you on that other line but in August. I’d love to hear about your experiences and recommendations!

• Like 2

Our hockey team, the Vancouver Canucks, made the playoffs this year. This hasn’t happened for 9 years. I’m hoping the Captain will insist on showing the games on at least one tv in O’Sheehan’s.

• Like 4

Something fun is in the works!

Check out this mama’s love for her son:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3004628-my-son-is-working-in-icy-strait-point-this-summer-who-wants-to-go-hug-him-for-me/#comment-67279665

IMG_3949.thumb.png.9ea18e52255eae6112fcb2b073ca1e26.png

IMG_3950.thumb.png.1de2d5041ce4757f72873b019210e3f8.png

Ben made the trip large paper plans!!

IMG_3947.thumb.jpeg.788c36b1dcd98e2abb0ad0337076ce14.jpeg

If you’re cruising to Alaska this summer and your ships ports in Icy Strait Point, please say hi to Ben!

• Like 9

Looking forward to your first Alaskan Cruise of the Summer. 
Enjoy your time w/ your Dad & your birthdays. 
Ambassador - what a wonderful birthday gift. 
Cheers - Von

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Our hockey team, the Vancouver Canucks, made the playoffs this year. This hasn’t happened for 9 years. I’m hoping the Captain will insist on showing the games on at least one tv in O’Sheehan’s.

Big win last night in front of an enthusiastic crowd!  Love the towels! Hope you get to see them play this week!

• Like 1

As always, so looking forward to your live! You are the best daughter anywhere and I love hearing about your adventures with your Dad. We'll be on the Sun from Seattle later in May and I'm really interested to hear about your activities in port as DH sometimes has a problem with a lot of walking. It's our 4th time to Alaska, previously on the Bliss, the Encore, and the Jewel (which we love-NCL's "smaller" ships are great). We received priority luggage tags last week, although we're in a lowly balcony stateroom. It was a nice surprise, though, for these newly-platinum cruisers. You have an amazing attitude and your love for your dad is so heartwarming. Happy birthday! Have a wonderful cruise! I'll be coming along here on CC.😊

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

As always, so looking forward to your live! You are the best daughter anywhere and I love hearing about your adventures with your Dad. We'll be on the Sun from Seattle later in May and I'm really interested to hear about your activities in port as DH sometimes has a problem with a lot of walking. It's our 4th time to Alaska, previously on the Bliss, the Encore, and the Jewel (which we love-NCL's "smaller" ships are great). We received priority luggage tags last week, although we're in a lowly balcony stateroom. It was a nice surprise, though, for these newly-platinum cruisers. You have an amazing attitude and your love for your dad is so heartwarming. Happy birthday! Have a wonderful cruise! I'll be coming along here on CC.😊

Hi Niki!

your advice to me on the Breakaway cruise was perfect. You really helped me out!

Thank you for coming along on this cruise too.

Does your husband like beer? When my dad gets tired we stop for beer. Have you been to Asylum in Ketchikan and the Klondike Brewing Company in Skagway? We also loved Pike Place Brewing in Seattle (their pizza was incredible!)

• Like 2

Looking forward to your adventures with Dad!!!

and thanks to your previous reports, I’ve booked the Hubbard excursion and also Jayleen’s for our 6/3 sailing!

• Like 1

My dad’s birthday is two days after mine. When I asked him what he wanted for his birthday he said “oh Yvonne, how would I know?”

For the first time I think he is feeling his age. He is not happy about the number 81. I told him that it is pretty special to be 81 because he got to travel around the sun 81 times and he didn’t even need to take a flight. That made him laugh.

So what does an 81 year old dad get for his birthday? If you’re my dad you get:

a Sue Coccia wooden jigsaw puzzle per tradition 

IMG_3839.thumb.jpeg.03915c1d8714a3df01f39e8367024f52.jpeg

These puzzles are sold at the Fish Creek store in Ketchikan.  

See’s chocolates purchased at LAX

IMG_3835.thumb.jpeg.21928b34eb3769fccfde7e762b3eab7c.jpeg

tickets to see the Ring of Fire musical 

IMG_3836.thumb.jpeg.23d580f0565e2bd699a81f2492c98b87.jpeg

and the Ketchikan Bering Sea Crab Fisherman’s Tour shore excursion (but, um, I used his credit card to purchase the shore excursions so technically he paid for this part of his present.  Oopsie.)

IMG_3951.thumb.png.9c256969c5a00df7a47660d92b8cba63.png

I selected the most dignified, formal, elegant wrapping paper!

IMG_3840.thumb.jpeg.2d006d7c6331d9ee53dc0320e0b8a541.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 12

18 minutes ago, MohrPfun said:

Looking forward to your adventures with Dad!!!

and thanks to your previous reports, I’ve booked the Hubbard excursion and also Jayleen’s for our 6/3 sailing!

You chose fabulous excursions! Please say hi to Jayleen from me if she is your captain. Her business has expanded this year.  

You can say hi to Hubbard glacier too, but you likely won’t get a great response.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

You chose fabulous excursions! Please say hi to Jayleen from me if she is your captain. Her business has expanded this year.  

You can say hi to Hubbard glacier too, but you likely won’t get a great response.

Will do on the former, and agreed on the latter!

I also want to book the Aleutian Ballad, but need to get a Teppenyaki booking revised for that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi Niki!

your advice to me on the Breakaway cruise was perfect. You really helped me out!

Thank you for coming along on this cruise too.

Does your husband like beer? When my dad gets tired we stop for beer. Have you been to Asylum in Ketchikan and the Klondike Brewing Company in Skagway? We also loved Pike Place Brewing in Seattle (their pizza was incredible!)

Hi, Yvonne,

I'm so glad I was helpful. Loved your Breakaway review!

DH isn't a beer drinker, but I could substitute just about any kind of food (pizza and donuts preferred), so that's a great idea! 

I wanted to tell you, too, how much I enjoyed The Midnight Library! Thank you so much for recommending it. I also just started Matt Haig's How to Stop Time.

So excited for you to embark!😊

• Like 3

DH and I will be on the Jewel's B2B (Vancouver-Seward-Vancouver) right after you...so I'm really looking forward to reading your review of how it all goes for you and your dad.  Sounds like you've got a great attitude in how to do this...and make the most out of it...without letting the difficulties of your dad's health get in the way too much.

I actually have 2 questions for you...if you don't mind for once you're onboard (and of course, no big deal if you don't have the time and/or a way to answer)...

1.  What's the internet like and do they have Starlink yet...?  (We absolutely have to have good internet signal...so we always upgrade our package anyway...and then it's been fine.  We'll most certainly do so again for this trip.) 

2.  We were last on the Jewel in September of 2022...and there was a lovely asian gentleman who was our preferred server in Cagney's.  He was very tall, a little "older"...and all we can remember was that his nickname was "Putu" (or something like that).  If there's any way that you can find out if he's still a part of the crew onboard and can let us know, we'd really appreciate it.  (But again, no worries if you're not able to...we know you'll have your hands full helping your dad enjoy his trip.) 

Have a great time...and we look forward to reading your posts...! 🙂