Live from the Jewel April 29-May 13, 2024: will definitely contain sarcasm and grumpiness

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Yum!!  Have the crepes been available each day or a particular time of day?

Every day during dinner hours in the Garden Cafe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Sue Henry & Dana Stabenow - We have both sets for our visitors to read when they are here 🙂 
Plus many other AK themed books - Gold Rush, Good Time Girls, Two Old Women, Call of the Wild, Elek the Elk, Gold Rush Women & many more...

Always Fun to read Alaskan stories, while in Alaska....

15 hours ago, luvteaching said:

@YVRteacher Have you read the Sue Henry Alaska mystery series? It's a set I really enjoyed. I love how you are showing bookstores! Where were the ones in Juneau? I know there's one by Hanger on the Wharf but hadn't found any others. 

Thank you!

Karen

11 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I haven’t read those and will add them to my TBR. Have you read Under One Roof which takes place in Whittier? It is not a well-written book but I enjoyed the plot, the Alaskan setting and the moose.

Isn’t the bookstore on the wharf wonderful? I loved talking to the owner about the building’s history. That one is Hearthside books. The children’s section was delightful. The other bookstore in Juneau is up one of the side streets and it is Rainy Retreat books. I’m having some internet challenges and I’m hoping someone can search and post the address of Rainy Retreat books in Juneau.

The photos I posted today were from the bookstore in Skagway, Skaguay News Depot and Books. This is a highly curated Alaskan bookstore. Address is 308 Broadway.

Edited by Von & John
  • Thanks 2

Hi,  Thanks so much for this wonderful review.  We are doing the reverse itinerary in June and I have added so many things to my list.  Can you please expand on the issue at Skagway with the rockslide.  Did you dock in the aft position at the Railroad dock and if so, was the tender the only way to get to the town.  We plan to walk to the helicopter port there for a glacier flight and I want to make sure that I have the time.  Thanks in advance for your advice.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Von & John said:

Sue Henry & Dana Stabenow - We have both sets for our visitors to read when they are here 🙂 
Plus many other AK themed books - Gold Rush, Good Time Girls, Two Old Women, Call of the Wild, Elek the Elk, Gold Rush Women & many more...

Always Fun to read Alaskan stories, while in Alaska....

Sorry to derail this for a moment @YVRteacher but, Thank you @Von & John. I like to read books that are set in the area that I am visiting. Right now, I have some fluff “Who Done It” by Laura Childs, “Confederacy of Dunces” a Pulitzer prize winner and a historical biography from a plantation child all set in New Orleans.

September I will be sailing the NCL Jewel north in Alaska. I had pretty much decided on my fluff reading for Alaska would be Dana Stabenow. But who knows. Guess I’ll have to go check out some on your list.

So, again, thank you.

• Like 3

@YVRteacher I ordered the school teacher book today. Am looking forward to reading it. The first book in the Sue Henry series is "Murder on the Iditarod". If we were closer I'd loan them to you as I have them all. I'll check out the Rainy Retreat books in Juneau when I'm there in June. 

Karen

• Like 2

18 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

You’re right about the water. I realized after I had posted that the cartons were from Korea. The spa manager has not been present at all. Not once! The assistant Manager Lola is terrific! I’m going to write a Vacation Hero card for her. This is her first cruise contract and her first time in Alaska.

Lola was so sweet! I saw her deal with some difficult guests so well, especially for her first contract! I didn't chat with her that much-mostly the manager Epi. Hopefully she's not sick. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aquidneck1 said:

Hi,  Thanks so much for this wonderful review.  We are doing the reverse itinerary in June and I have added so many things to my list.  Can you please expand on the issue at Skagway with the rockslide.  Did you dock in the aft position at the Railroad dock and if so, was the tender the only way to get to the town.  We plan to walk to the helicopter port there for a glacier flight and I want to make sure that I have the time.  Thanks in advance for your advice.  

We docked in front of the Ruby Princess at Railroad dock. No passengers are permitted to walk along this dock. We had to tender as it was forbidden to walk. It would be about a 20 minute walk to the helicopter place from Railroad dock. If you tell me the date you are in Skagway I can let you know which dock is yours.

8 hours ago, AmyJA said:

Sorry to derail this for a moment @YVRteacher but, Thank you @Von & John. I like to read books that are set in the area that I am visiting. Right now, I have some fluff “Who Done It” by Laura Childs, “Confederacy of Dunces” a Pulitzer prize winner and a historical biography from a plantation child all set in New Orleans.

September I will be sailing the NCL Jewel north in Alaska. I had pretty much decided on my fluff reading for Alaska would be Dana Stabenow. But who knows. Guess I’ll have to go check out some on your list.

So, again, thank you.

Always happy to talk about books!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AmyJA said:

So, again, thank you.

We need to go for drinks when you're in my hood!!! I bet we can rope in @YVRteacher too - she is always up for drinks! We can initiate her into the Tribe!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

We need to go for drinks when you're in my hood!!! I bet we can rope in @YVRteacher too - she is always up for drinks! We can initiate her into the Tribe!

I’m in!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AmyJA said:

So, again, thank you.

I have a friend who is a passionate reader and book reviewer as well as a cruiser. She researches every port and finds a book for that port. She is currently on an Alaskan cruise and her Instagram account highlights her book choices.

Check out theliterateleprechaun on Instagram and give her a follow!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Day 6

Breakfast

A few modifications were made to the breakfast sandwich today. I ordered a side of Hollandaise and added it between the English muffin and the scrambled eggs and topped the tomato with some Camembert. I drizzled Hollandaise for a pleasing garnish. 

IMG_4626.thumb.jpeg.b5d4acf18dfc604490346daf800132ff.jpeg

Chef’s kiss! 

I sent the breakfast potatoes back.

• Like 9

IMG_4621.thumb.jpeg.a6368a9f1ee1574db5cb6b9c66a3cf70.jpeg

The narrow, wooden, winding stairs up to the Haven sundeck are a little steep so I always make sure dad hangs on. As we approached the top of the steps a woman was about to come down. She stopped to let us through but her friend barged ahead and barrelled down the stairs. I told her to stop and let us out but she didn’t. Then I told her she was being rude. 

I’m cautious not to get in to conflict with other passengers. Friends we made on this cruise had a drink dumped over them in Stardust Theatre last night. The story is theirs to tell and I hope they come on here to share what happened. A security report was filed and I’m curious how this will be handled. What happened to these kind, caring friends was not ok!

• Like 10

6 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

We docked in front of the Ruby Princess at Railroad dock. No passengers are permitted to walk along this dock. We had to tender as it was forbidden to walk. It would be about a 20 minute walk to the helicopter place from Railroad dock. If you tell me the date you are in Skagway I can let you know which dock is yours.

Thank you.  We will be on the Jewel arriving in Skagway on the 21st of June.  From what I can see, we are scheduled to be in the same position RRA that you are in with Norwegian Sun being in front of us.  Do you know what time the tendering started.  We do not have to be at the helicopter pad until 9:30AM.  Also, do suites have priority tendering? 

Thanks so much.  Your trip sounds amazing.    

On 5/1/2024 at 7:23 PM, YVRteacher said:

After dinner we went to the Great Outdoors for whale watching! Wow wow wow! 

Orcas on the port side, orcas on the starboard side, orcas in our wake! That was a treat and we were both enchanted!

I didn’t even try to take photos. I just enjoyed the moments. Every few seconds there would be a spout followed by the arcing of a glistening black back. The sun was still high at 6:00pm so the whales were almost sparkling. 

Magic.

May I ask what port this was?

8 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

If I may hijack...;-) We are going to be in Skagway on the Jewel May 24th. Where do I find where we will be docked or tendered? I'm concerned as we have an excursion and I'm afraid tendering is going to create an issue. Good thing we are flexible go w/the flow folks, we can always cancel.

Just thought I'd jump in here with the webpage where you can check your dock and what other ships will be in port the day(s) that you're there:

https://claalaska.com/

Click on 2024 Schedules and then your port. Another kind CC member posted this awhile back and I've found it really helpful. Have an awesome cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Yes! I was thinking of taking an NCL "deviation" flight at the beginning of the cruise and staying in Vancouver for a day or two. Last few times I have only been up there for just a few hours.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I’m in!!!

OK then! Guess I better make a call. 

That and cheking out an insta!

Edited by AmyJA
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

Just thought I'd jump in here with the webpage where you can check your dock and what other ships will be in port the day(s) that you're there:

Click on 2024 Schedules and then your port. Another kind CC member posted this awhile back and I've found it really helpful. Have an awesome cruise!

Thank you!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

I don't see a where it tells me if we are docked or Tendered. I just see letters after the cruise ships w/o a guide to what they stand for.

45 minutes ago, ihate2cruise said:

I don't see a where it tells me if we are docked or Tendered. I just see letters after the cruise ships w/o a guide to what they stand for.

There is another menu on that same page that is titled Berth Codes.  That will tell you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ihate2cruise said:

RRA and RRF are both on the Railroad Dock where the rock slide occurred.

There is a still a large rock that presents a danger that they've been unable to move, so no passengers are allowed to walk on the dock.

So in the case of the Jewel, you dock at RRA (railroad aft), although it sounds like last week they took RRF (railroad forward).

So you are docked, but you have to tender, since you can't walk on the deck.

Tender to the marina, and then walk into town. 

Hope that helps, I'll be doing the same on 6/7.