Need wardrobe help!

orville99

I have Equinox booked for next January to celebrate our 30th anniversary, and have not sailed on X in ages. DW wants to know how fancy she should pack. I’m easy, have tux will travel, but she wants to really splash it up. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately dressing up big time is a thing of the past.  However you do what makes you feel good.  We use to dressup with hubby in an tux and I in a long gown. Now hubby wears dress pants and nice shirt. I usually wear dress pants and a nice blouse.  We just sailed on Ascent and saw 1 tux.  Evening Chic is what you want it to be.

• Like 2

We are sailing in 32 days.  DH is taking suit and sport coat for "Chic night" and pants and collared shirts for the other 5 nights.  I will have slacks, skirts, and LBDs for chic night.  YOu will see everything from sequins/tux to jeans/shorts (hopefully not in the MDR)

6 hours ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

Unfortunately dressing up big time is a thing of the past.  However you do what makes you feel good.  We use to dressup with hubby in a tux and I in a long gown. Now hubby wears dress pants and nice shirt. I usually wear dress pants and a nice blouse.  We just sailed on Ascent and saw 1 tux.  Evening Chic is what you want it to be.

Currently on Sillhouette and there are many people dressed up quite elegantly on Chic nights.  Lots of sparkle and are real effort made.  Not everyone of course but it’s clear that most are dressing up, not down.  We have 3 chic nights on this TA.

9 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Currently on Sillhouette and there are many people dressed up quite elegantly on Chic nights.  Lots of sparkle and are real effort made.  Not everyone of course but it’s clear that most are dressing up, not down.  We have 3 chic nights on this TA.

Every cruise is different, we were really surprised at how many were just dressed smart casual on the first chic night. The second chic night was the least dressy!!! 

15 hours ago, orville99 said:

I have Equinox booked for next January to celebrate our 30th anniversary, and have not sailed on X in ages. DW wants to know how fancy she should pack. I’m easy, have tux will travel, but she wants to really splash it up. Any suggestions?

Relax.  Two years ago was my first and I was panicking based on videos and print material.  

From Celebrity's website:  As you can see it is more relaxed than the olden days of cruising, which is fine with me not having to pack or rent a tux.  You will see a few and I mean only a few dress to the nines based on my last cruise which was Alaska.  

What’s the dress code? Do we have to dress up?

Smart Casual attire is required for entry to main dining, specialty dining, and the Celebrity Theatre. Smart Casual means you look comfortable yet tasteful in a dress, skirt, long pants, or jean, and stylish top or button-down. Shorts and flip flops are not considered Smart Casual. Each itinerary features one to two "formal" nights we call Evening Chic. Evening Chic means you dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way, with a cocktail dress, skirt, slacks, or designer jean, an elegant dress top or blazer—some guests even pack a tuxedo or gown for onboard photos. The Daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening. If you do not wish to participate in Evening Chic, Smart Casual attire is acceptable for dining and theater.

What types of clothing is appropriate for dinner onboard?

Most nights, Smart Casual attire is appropriate for dinner in the Main Dining Room(s). For 6 night cruises or less, there will be 1 Evening Chic night where women should feel comfortable in cocktail dresses, skirts, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top. Men should feel comfortable in pants, designer jeans, long sleeved or button-down shirt, sweaters, sport coats or blazers. For 7 night cruises or longer, there will be two (2) Evening Chic nights.

How many formal nights will there be for my cruise?

For 6 night cruises or less, there will be 1 Evening Chic night per cruise. For 7 nights or longer, there will be 2 Evening Chic nights while onboard. While Tuxedos and Formal attire is still appropriate, they are not required and guests will feel comfortable in both formal wear and a dressier smart casual style. Jackets are not required.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Every Celebrity cruise is indeed different, and it has been trending more casual since we've been cruising.

BUT - there are ALWAYS a core group of folks really dressing up well (ie the tux/gown crowd) for the formal nights and also putting effort in for the other evenings as well.

You will stand out when formally dressed, but not in a bad way. And you will have others dressed similarly, so you will not be seen as strange or out of place.

You MAY, though, if regularly sharing a table in the main dining room with other guests not in your party, encounter a disconnect with them (dressing-wise) on the formal nights. Maybe awkward or  maybe a fun topic to chat about.

Edited by Tom and Ingrid
  • Like 3

@Tom and Ingrid summed it up well. On our last repositioning cruise (October), most people were in casual to semi-cocktail dress, but there was a group that dressed every evening. Tuxedos, gowns, the whole bit. They looked fabulous.

I would like to dress up more but my husband hates suits, and the tuxedo is at the back of the closet. So it's cocktail-length dresses. And I bring things that are fussy to deal with. If something needs to be pressed, I pay the money and have it pressed. 

There's a difference depending on the cruise location, type of cruise, ages of cruisers.  Just our experience but found TA  (to Europe) dressy most nights, European slightly dressy most nights, Caribbean not dressy at all (even on evening chic nights), bordering on sloppy.  Haven't done Alaska.

7 hours ago, kabmab said:

Caribbean not dressy at all (even on evening chic nights), bordering on sloppy.  Haven't done Alaska.

We have not found this to be true on Caribbean sailings.  On every cruise there are people who do dress and people who don't, but on all our Caribbean cruises, the majority of the people dressed up for dinner on chic night.  A lot of them did change after dinner though.  😃

1 hour ago, screwsmcernst said:

We have not found this to be true on Caribbean sailings.  On every cruise there are people who do dress and people who don't, but on all our Caribbean cruises, the majority of the people dressed up for dinner on chic night.  A lot of them did change after dinner though.  😃

We were on Apex in January, Western Caribbean.  No dressing up any nights including evening chic.  Returned a week ago from Ascent TA and most women were dressy in the evening, although guys were a bit more casual.   We'll see how it is on Beyond ABC cruise in August.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 5:42 PM, orville99 said:

The thing I enjoy about Celebrity is the lack of a dress "code" but rather the suggested chic attire.  I like to wear a blazer with collared shirt (oxford or golf) casual slacks.  I will say most, but definitely not all, dress similiar.  I have seen many couples on my cruises in tux, long dresses, sequins etc and never IMO did anyone look to me or appear to be overdressed or uncomfortable.  

• Thanks 1

Since we cannot post links, in my understanding, do a search for life well cruised and navigate yourself through the website and they have an excellent page on Celebrity cruise attire.

Posted (edited)

I wear blingy tops & silk slacks. Hubs normally wears a jacket & open collar shirt on chic nights. You will look elegant in tux & gown but you’ll likely be one of very few dressed to the nines 

IMG_5881.jpeg

Edited by awhfy