Wine drinker...plus package warning.

Hillmom

I'm rather confused that everyone is stating that the wines on the Plus package aren't very good. I came across a 2024 wine list for Princess and the selection of wines isn't too shabby. Unless they have a different wine list for the Plus package, I don't think I'll have any problems finding a decent glass of wine. I've also searched our state run alcohol outlets here in Montreal for some of the wines on that list and the prices displayed aren't exactly your grocery type ones. But our cruise is 3 months off so I can try those on the list that are sold here. BTW not a wine snob but I make my own cabernet sauvignon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

I'm rather confused that everyone is stating that the wines on the Plus package aren't very good.

Not everyone. 🍷

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 2:37 PM, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Don't know if this wine get's to the US. But I really like a red called 19 crimes imported from Australia.

19 Crimes is my husband's wine of choice. He like the one aged in rum barrels best. I prefer whites.

Hubby found a new (to him) favorite last month on the Sky. It's Errazuris Estate Carmenere Aconcagua Valley, Chile, GIs. We don't even know how to pronounce it, but he consumed quite a few.

Edited by PurpleHays
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

I'm rather confused that everyone is stating that the wines on the Plus package aren't very good. I came across a 2024 wine list for Princess and the selection of wines isn't too shabby. Unless they have a different wine list for the Plus package, I don't think I'll have any problems finding a decent glass of wine.

Just about anywhere other than Vines, the wine list only lists the varietals available with Plus, not the vineyard/winemaker. So you order a Cabernet or Chardonnay and very likely get the cheapest label they have, often some plonk like Canyon Road.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, cruisinsince75 said:

If they are squeezing 6 glasses out of a 750 mil (25.36 oz) that is some serious nickel and diming.  Guess I'm a lush.  At home it only gets me 4. 

If ordering wine from the Plus menu in the MDR, it’s more likely to come from a box than a bottle. You can see the boxes lined up in the alcohol cage if you take the galley tour at the conclusion of the cooking demonstration show.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

I'm rather confused that everyone is stating that the wines on the Plus package aren't very good. I came across a 2024 wine list for Princess and the selection of wines isn't too shabby. Unless they have a different wine list for the Plus package, I don't think I'll have any problems finding a decent glass of wine. I've also searched our state run alcohol outlets here in Montreal for some of the wines on that list and the prices displayed aren't exactly your grocery type ones. But our cruise is 3 months off so I can try those on the list that are sold here. BTW not a wine snob but I make my own cabernet sauvignon.

They do have a dedicated wine list for Plus and that will most likely be the one they show you when they know you have it. But you just ask for the regular wine list and tell them you will pay the difference if you want to choose a higher priced wine.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

19 Crimes is my husband's wine of choice. He like the one aged in rum barrels best. I prefer whites.

Hubby found a new (to him) favorite last month on the Sky. It's Errazuris Estate Carmenere Aconcagua Valley, Chile, GIs. We don't even know how to pronounce it, but he consumed quite a few.

If I can find it I would like to try the the one aged in rum barrels....that sounds interesting to me.
Also we have found a nice red wine called Cooper and Thief that is aged for 3 months in Bourbon barrels. (not on the ship however)

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

On the Australian Plus wine list four of those wines are normally sold in retail outlets in 4 litre casks(boxes) for aroun AU$20 per cask. The winery usually only sells the bottled version, under the Willowglen label, to function centres and (now) cruise lines. 

17 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

I didn't like most of the ones I tried on the Plus Package list...but there was a red blend that was not bad.
It's not that we can't find a good wine from the Princess Wine List, but yes, there is a different wine list for the Plus package but of course it does not preclude one from choosing from the regular wine list.

10 hours ago, suzyed said:

They do have a dedicated wine list for Plus and that will most likely be the one they show you when they know you have it. But you just ask for the regular wine list and tell them you will pay the difference if you want to choose a higher priced wine.

Ok but the wines on that 2024 list that I found have many wines that are sold here in Montreal. For example the list has an Attems Pinot Grigio at $11 per glass. That wine sells here for $20 and there's also a Mionetto Prosecco sold here for $18 also at $11 per glass. I've had the prosecco before and it's not too bad. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

Ok but the wines on that 2024 list that I found have many wines that are sold here in Montreal. For example the list has an Attems Pinot Grigio at $11 per glass. That wine sells here for $20 and there's also a Mionetto Prosecco sold here for $18 also at $11 per glass. I've had the prosecco before and it's not too bad. 

Where have you seen this list that has Attems Pinot Grigio?

I haven't seen that on a ship in a long time....

1 minute ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I found what was described as a 2024 Princess wine list. I'll have to do some more research.

17 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

The wine list for Princess is quite decent, but the selections for the Plus package is quite poor.  The whites are terrible.  The Premier whites were just a tad better.  I had the plus package on a Panama Canal cruise and I found the Malbec and Carmenere drinkable thought it is unlikely I would ever buy them at home.  I started buying premier wines by the glass and paying the difference, but I found I was not happy with their choices unless I was picking the really higher priced premier wines.  I ended buying 3 bottles from their wine list which were good but expensive.  In the future I bring my own wines and pay the corkage or buy them at the ports or pick from their regular wine list.  No plus/premier package for me.  If you are a regular wine drinker at home, you are not going to be happy with their plus package choices.   

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

The wine list for Princess is quite decent, but the selections for the Plus package is quite poor.  The whites are terrible.  The Premier whites were just a tad better.  I had the plus package on a Panama Canal cruise and I found the Malbec and Carmenere drinkable thought it is unlikely I would ever buy them at home.  I started buying premier wines by the glass and paying the difference, but I found I was not happy with their choices unless I was picking the really higher priced premier wines.  I ended buying 3 bottles from their wine list which were good but expensive.  In the future I bring my own wines and pay the corkage or buy them at the ports or pick from their regular wine list.  No plus/premier package for me.  If you are a regular wine drinker at home, you are not going to be happy with their plus package choices.   

Can you choose glasses on the regular wine list or does it have to be only on the Plus selections. 

1 hour ago, HMSDingy said:

Can you choose glasses on the regular wine list or does it have to be only on the Plus selections. 

You can choose glasses on the regular wine list.....IF they are sold by the glass. Unfortunately, the ones sold by the glass are a very limited number. If you find one by the glass you would like that is above the $15 limit, they will just charge you the difference plus 18% (tip) of the difference, so usually just a few dollars total.

• Like 2

I should also add for white wine drinkers, the Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio included on the Plus package is Canyon Road for cruises from North America. That is really swill and undrinkable for me (and nope not a high end wine drinker).

For cruises from Europe, on the Plus package, they were offering Adesso Chardonnay and Tini Pinot Grigio and I found those much more palatable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I should also add for white wine drinkers, the Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio included on the Plus package is Canyon Road for cruises from North America. That is really swill and undrinkable for me (and nope not a high end wine drinker).

For cruises from Europe, on the Plus package, they were offering Adesso Chardonnay and Tini Pinot Grigio and I found those much more palatable.

If I have to settle for swill wine, I would rather have a cocktail or nothing. I'm not a wine snob,

it's just that trying to drink harsh wine ruins the whole wine drinking experience. If harsh wine is being served I'd rather order a cocktail. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I think they must have been the ones they were offering on Diamond around Japan last November. Swill indeed! I took one sip of the pinot grigio and nearly spat it out. We bought wines by the bottle at the Plus 25% discount for the rest of that cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

You can choose from the regular wine list...no problem.  DH drank quite a bit of the Silverado and though I am not usually a rose drinker, I got hooked on Whispering Angel which I found to be quite nice.
For our anniversary in June we will carry on a bottle of Caymus cab from home.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2024 at 8:13 PM, Hillmom said:

Currently on the Sapphire Princess 24 days into 32. I'm a red wine drinker. Lest you  think Snooty red wine drinker, I'm talking grocery store and Trader Joes. The wine by the glass does not rise to that level. I guess this also applies if you're thinking you can order by the glass without the package. 

I'm not a big drinker so 15 drinks is ridiculous. There is a Zin at Vines that qualifies under plus, but it is only available there.  Also pours are (generally) VERY .... tight, stingy, small. Also you must arm wrestle for a decent wine glass.  Apparently guests steal them....sigh.

Now I am quite liking the coffees and waters Plus includes, and ymmv...but wine drinkers be advised. 

Currently onboard, never have we had to arm wrestle for a decent wine glass. We are always given the appropriate glasses for wine we are drinking. 

We are in Vines daily, on the same voyage, and see no need to advise anyone of this. 

18 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

We are currently onboard. 

Attems Pinot Grigio is $12 a glass and available to order on the app. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 2:37 PM, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Don't know if this wine get's to the US. But I really like a red called 19 crimes imported from Australia. I am also partial to Chateaux neuf de pape from France , but that comes in over double the price of 19 crimes which can vary from around £7.50 to £9 a bottle with the Chateaux at around £20-£25 a bottle. Will be disappointed if you can't get a decent glass of vino collapso onboard for $15. First time virgin for the Plus package as we normally go P&O and have never had a package deal before.

Princess actually had 19 Crimes available in the dining room at one point.  I introduced the Living Wine Labels app to the wait staff so they could hear the prisoner's story.  That may tell you how long ago it was, though, as that function of the app no longer exists.

9 hours ago, suzyed said:

You can choose from the regular wine list...no problem.  DH drank quite a bit of the Silverado and though I am not usually a rose drinker, I got hooked on Whispering Angel which I found to be quite nice.
For our anniversary in June we will carry on a bottle of Caymus cab from home.

Thanks I figured that and I've been told that there are wines by the glass at less than $15 on the regular wine list.

Isn't it all about perceived value?  If you are wine drinker who normally drink higher quality wines, then the Plus package will taste like "swill".  By going to the Premier package, are you getting that value?  Everyone has different perceived value by going the package route rather then purchasing by the bottle or bringing your own plus paying the corkage.  If you find the plus package wines acceptable and you drink alot of it, then the value is there.  You really don't know until you start drinking those Plus wines that it is of acceptable value to you or not.  Everybody has different taste.  

• Like 3

We were just on the Enchanted. We upgraded to the Premiere package as we are apparently wine snobs. Even then, it was hard to get a good glass of Chardonnay unless in the dining room. Have no idea who thinks Flowers is a quality offering, very tart. Red offerings were better. 

As for the glasses, I have a hard time believing that many people are stealing them. Celebrity had all Riedel stemware. Princess doesn’t need to go that high end, but there has to be a happy medium. 

• Like 1