Live From Alaska Aboard Ms Nieuw Amsterdam - May 5-19, 2024

Thanks for your reporting.  I've never been to these ports and hope to someday, God willing.  I appreciate your information and am very grateful to learn more about spots to visit.

1 hour ago, Cruising on a Sunday afte said:

Has Morimoto’s taken over Tamarind?  I made a reservation for Tamarind a few weeks ago for our August cruise. Now I see they have noted “delivered to dining room” on my reservation details. That will not be nearly as fun.

Only half on Nieuw Amsterdam but probably all on "Morimoto Night" on other ships.

1 hour ago, Cruising on a Sunday afte said:

I made a reservation for Tamarind a few weeks ago for our August cruise. Now I see they have noted “delivered to dining room” on my reservation details. That will not be nearly as fun.

That's also on our reservations for Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto when choosing "View My Purchases" on "My Itinerary" (HAL Website). Just means the meals will be provided in the selected venue. Does not mention MDR.

4 hours ago, regan3 said:

What was updated/refreshed/replaced during the dry dock in December?

Biggest changes that I have noticed include the new Morimoto (replaced half of Tamarind), new hand washing sinks in Lido Market, lift chairs for indoor pool/hot tubs, and updated library.  I will ask if other big changes.

• Like 2

@BaileyMJ Your reply to my question re: Anchorage was very helpful.  Thanks for posting the ship communication re: the Anchorage shuttle.  I hope the Westerdam is better organized for our visit in June.  Were you able to get the car you rented for the day?  Since we will be arriving later than predicted we’ll have to tell Avis about our later than intended arrival and hope they have a car for us!   Your comment that everyone with a reservation may not get their rental car has me worried!

and thanks for posting Kodiak info for going ashore.

Day 05  Anchorage

The weather in Anchorage was raining and with no booked excursions for me so I opted to remain aboard and update menus, interview crew members, and take photographs of the ship.

The cookies situation has deteriorated with their hardness nearing that of the Koningsdam cookies last week. To be fair, I tried all the different cookies and had to wait for the Late Snack to find the chocolate chip cookies.  It is self evident that the recipe has not changed but the baking time has.  I strongly recommend a dipping beverage to make the cookies chewable. 

Dinner at 5:00 PM in the MDR was completed in one hour which is my personal standard for a solo, table for two.  It took ten minutes for my order to be taken in a nearly full dining room but food delivery was swift.  It was a great finish.  My record service remains 43 minutes on the Eurodam last February.

On the beverage menu side, there are no changes to the basic menus but new inserts for Alaska have been added to some menus.  I have posted many so far with a few more to check.

There are Alaska canned beers available and I will post a list as soon as I review my photos.

The new Morimoto Restaurant is very modern and brightly lighted in contrast to the Tamarind just a few feet away. The dinner menu on the Nieuw Amsterdam is more extensive than the pop-up versions on all of the other HAL ships.  Both menus have been posted to compare. The Morimoto Beverages are the same on all HAL ships.

The Tamarind Bar on the Nieuw Amsterdam does not include appetizers.

Next stop Kodiak.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/7/2024 at 11:20 AM, Duane S. said:

enjoying the live feeds and info, many thanks to those who give us all this great info.

wife and I are considering a 14 day Alaska cruise next May, thought I would ask current cruisers if they felt like 14 days would be too many?  there are numerous 7 day cruises and some that involve land events but I am not sure I would enjoy the logistics of the land portions, planes trains and hotels, so we are looking at the 14 day which is all ports from Vancouver.

So I am interested in your opinions on my dilemma, 7 or 14 days, what do you all think since you are doing it right now! This is our first trip to Alaska so we know nothing, lol.

thanks in advance to any who are kind enough to respond,

14, 14, 14 all the way

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

---

On the beverage menu side, there are no changes to the basic menus but new inserts for Alaska have been added to some menus.  I have posted many so far with a few more to check.

There are Alaska canned beers available and I will post a list as soon as I review my photos.

---

Wife loved the "glacier ice" beverages they had last year.  I think they have them again.  Can you confirm?

Sorry to hear that the cookie situation is deteriorating. I have always thought that HAL cookies were way too hard. I was on Princess' Discovery Princess recently and found their cookies to be just perfect. Softer than HAL's and slightly tastier. On the other hand, HAL's croissants are better. 

1 hour ago, scooter6139 said:

Wife loved the "glacier ice" beverages they had last year.  I think they have them again.  Can you confirm?

I will inquire.

• Like 1

Tomorrow we will be in Valdez and the only ship in port but I have no idea why but just informed by tomorrow’s The Daily that it will be a tender port.  

IMG_5052.thumb.jpeg.dcb105e7742e2d9644d94e8a8fb45bc5.jpeg

We are still in Kodiak with delayed departure. Also of note we were scheduled to arrive Valdez 10am but that has changed to 12 noon I believe the departure still remains the same 7:30pm All Aboard.

Today in Kodiak they operated a tender from ship to Kodiak town harbor which required ticket for tender from ship to town but the return tender was open to all.  It was raining and a bit windy.  They really needed to operate a shuttle bus I was on the return tender and witnessed too many passengers with problems entering the tender ship and one gentleman took a nasty fall - pretty scary.

I had no tour and with rain I did not explore much of Kodiak but had a wonderful lunch at Henry’s Great Alaskan Restaurant.  The beer I had with my Fish & Chips was local Kodiak Liquid Sunshine and unfortunately that was the only sunshine I experienced today!

Kodiak is definitely a unique quirky town so I loved it!

• Like 1

Roger, You always provide such great information & pics, etc.  Thanks so much for sharing!

mooseridge

PS IOHO  The longer an Alaska cruise is, the better!  7 days?  way too short,  14? Better,   21 days? Better still     But 28 days up to NOME coming soon in June   Can't wait.  

• Like 5

Good Morning May 11th Sailing to Valdez

IMG_5055.thumb.jpeg.6b1aafe28cc8a342bf5f15822232fdc4.jpeg

Yesterday we departed Kodiak a little past 6pm and even with rain the view did not disappoint.  The captain warned us of high winds & choppy seas and we were definitely rocking and rolling last night!

I have gotten into my routine of first stop of the day deck 10 but I was greeted by yellow tape!  The other door on port side had no tape but impossible to open beyond a crack.  Went down to deck 3 promenade but the ship is tightly sealed.  

My morning picture will have to be that wonderful cappuccino from Crows Nest - I have no scientific proof but the coffee just tastes better in a pretty cup.

we still have hours to go but since Valdez is now a tender port I just have feeling it might be canceled.  This trip has been awesome and for me just visiting Seward made the whole trip worth it so nothing can disappoint.

IMG_5059.thumb.jpeg.f887c67cee55fb2eb29d77c7ddf52cba.jpeg

IMG_5057.thumb.jpeg.1cb1305ae4870715807215d1df6d1adf.jpeg

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Any sightings of the Northern Lights?

That’s a hard no.  Low clouds, fog, rain.  

Unfortunately all tours for Valdez today are cancelled due to sea conditions.  So much for the Columbia Glacier tour.  Still nearly 2 hours till we arrive, and I’m also wondering if they will put out the tenders.  

• Like 1

Sorry about missing the Northern Lights.  I’ve seen some wonderful pictures from the lower 48.  I hope you can tender to Valdez.

Hi:  not to highjack your thread, but last night's northern lights are the talk of the ship here on Noordam!  Present course is entering the Inside Passage, heading south to Vancouver (5/12 disembarking).  Many passengers saw the show from the back pool area, and the ship lights were turned off.  We missed it, sleeping off a long day in Ketch.  Tonight though?  We're there!!  The skies are totally clear, so, fingers crossed!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Any sightings of the Northern Lights?

Overcast skies and rain have been the conditions since leaving Vancouver.  All shore excursions have been cancelled for Valdez due to weather.

17 hours ago, BaileyMJ said:

Tomorrow we will be in Valdez and the only ship in port but I have no idea why but just informed by tomorrow’s The Daily that it will be a tender port.  

IMG_5052.thumb.jpeg.dcb105e7742e2d9644d94e8a8fb45bc5.jpeg

Today in Kodiak they operated a tender from ship to Kodiak town harbor which required ticket for tender from ship to town but the return tender was open to all.  It was raining and a bit windy.  They really needed to operate a shuttle bus I was on the return tender and witnessed too many passengers with problems entering the tender ship and one gentleman took a nasty fall - pretty scary.

We have been to Kodiak at least twice and have never tendered.  Can you find out why HAL tendered in Kodiak.  Maybe the school busses are needed for school kids?  

April seemed to have such nice weather.  I hope things improve.  We are also going to Valdez.  

6 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

We have been to Kodiak at least twice and have never tendered.  Can you find out why HAL tendered in Kodiak.  Maybe the school busses are needed for school kids?  

April seemed to have such nice weather.  I hope things improve.  We are also going to Valdez.  

No one will give a answer but most likely limited school buses.  HAL had a number of tours and we did see the yellow school buses lined up.

• Like 1

We just got all clear - all the ship excursions canceled but I only noticed 1 shore excursion listed Columbia Glacier and it was always showing sold out.  Were there other excursions offered?  I had contacted some tour operators for independent tours but the few I found said they were not starting till Memorial Day.

• Like 1

Why, oh why do people have conversations on their phone in the Crow's Nest with the speaker on, allowing total strangers to listen in? It is so annoying 🙄 😒 

But, the cruise has been very nice overall! 

• Like 5