How to turn a double into a solo with double points?

My wife won't be sailing with me on my upcoming cruise.  I would like to convert my booking into a solo that qualifies for double points.  On a previous sailing she decided not to go, I had her removed from the booking but did not receive double points.

Is there a way the booking has to be coded so that I will receive double points?  Will there be any additional charges assuming everything else stays the same?  Will there be a refund of the port fees and taxes?

If you call to have her removed from the sailing they will reprice your cruise to the current rate for a solo.   

Have you checked the current online price for a solo in same cabin category?    

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Is there a way the booking has to be coded so that I will receive double points?  Will there be any additional charges assuming everything else stays the same?  Will there be a refund of the port fees and taxes?

You may not have removed her properly to turn the last booking into a solo to get the extra solo points - the booking needs to be converted to a solo when removing the second person. There should be no charges (though RCI may want to reprice at current rates) and yes, the fees should be refunded.

Edited by Biker19

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

You should have gotten double points for the no show.

The policy since early 2020 has been that you no longer get the extra point for solo when you have a booking for two and a no show for the second person. The booking needs to be modified to a solo booking before sailing to get the extra points. Anyone that got the extra points for a now show since then is rare and were just lucky.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

The policy since early 2020 has been that you no longer get the extra point for solo when you have a booking for two and a no show for the second person. The booking needs to be modified to a solo booking before sailing to get the extra points. Anyone that got the extra points for a now show since then is rare and were just lucky.

Okay. My sailing where it happened was before 2020. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

My sailing where it happened was before 2020. 

Yes, solo points for a no show was the norm pre-2020.

Edited by Biker19

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

I have been lucky over a dozen times over the last two plus years. 

22 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have been lucky over a dozen times over the last two plus years. 

Most reports, including the OP, suggest you are an exception.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input.

@Ourusualbeach, what has been your personal experience as a TA performing this booking adjustment?  Is there a "code" that's needed?  From what has been stated earlier, just saying "remove person x from the booking" is not sufficient.

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

Thanks everyone for your input.

@Ourusualbeach, what has been your personal experience as a TA performing this booking adjustment?  Is there a "code" that's needed?  From what has been stated earlier, just saying "remove person x from the booking" is not sufficient.

I've never heard of any code.  I call in and say remove guest 2, done simple as that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I've never heard of any code.  I call in and say remove guest 2, done simple as that.

So if two people book a cruise at the double rate, and then call and remove person #2, does that person get a refund and then person #1 doesn’t have to pay what a solo cruiser usually pays and also gets double points? 

29 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

So if two people book a cruise at the double rate, and then call and remove person #2, does that person get a refund and then person #1 doesn’t have to pay what a solo cruiser usually pays and also gets double points? 

I think he meant nothing else but what he said, remove the 2nd pax. The taxes and fees automatically refunded. 

What you asked is a different scenario  .. asking for a refund for 2nd pax. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

No refunds are issued. Taxes are refunded for guest 2 and the money is applied to guest 1.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks.  I just checked my email.  In July 2023, I asked my TA to remove my wife from my Wonder of the Seas sailing.  TA confirmed the removal and the eventual refund of taxes and fees.  The cruise was in October 2023.  I did not get double points.  Should I have the TA call Royal Caribbean?

Edited by soremekun

6 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Should I have the TA call Royal Caribbean?

No, call C&A directly and tell them you sailed on a solo booking -they may tell you their system says otherwise at which point you'll have to take up the issue with your TA.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Thanks.  I just checked my email.  In July 2023, I asked my TA to remove my wife from my Wonder of the Seas sailing.  TA confirmed the removal and the eventual refund of taxes and fees.  The cruise was in October 2023.  I did not get double points.  Should I have the TA call Royal Caribbean?

You can call c&a. To asd to what Biker said, the booking on initial first glance will still appear to be a double and they will need to look closer to see thst it was indeed turned into a solo.  Yet another quirk of their booking system.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, soremekun said:

They may deny you now saying thst you have left it too long.

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No refunds are issued. Taxes are refunded for guest 2 and the money is applied to guest 1.  

Thanks. I thought that was the case but the way I initially read it I guess I got confused. 😳

• Like 1

I spoke with a C&A rep this morning.  They reviewed my Wonder of the Seas booking and they will adjust my points.  So instead of 7, I will receive 14.

Thanks to all for their input and assistance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

I spoke with a C&A rep this morning.  They reviewed my Wonder of the Seas booking and they will adjust my points.  So instead of 7, I will receive 14.

Thanks to all for their input and assistance.

Glad it worked out. 

• Thanks 1