Is a Neptune Suite (and ship overall) on Zaandam a "step down" from Nieuw Amsterdam?

My partner and I had a great time celebrating a "big" birthday on a 17-day Panama Canal cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October 2021 (San Diego to Ft Lauderdale). We're considering doing another (in the reverse direction) in Spring 2025 for another "big" bday on Zaandam 

We had SUCH an amazing time, I've been researching to be sure the things we enjoyed will be on this one as well.

(Yep, I know all cruises vary - I'm not trying to relive the last one - and a bad day at sea beats a good day on land, etc.!)

The first big question is the Neptune Suite. From the videos I've seen, the cabin setup looks similar. The couch/chair setup seem different (smaller?) but no big deal. The bathroom/dressing area doesn't seem as large overall but spacious enough. One thing - it looks like the TV is on a stand sitting on the cabinetry not mounted on the opposite wall. I know it seems minor, but every few nights, we liked to stay in and watch movies. Ridiculous with a whole ship to explore but we like it!

Is the Explorer's Lounge just as nice on both ships - with the great view, fantastic coffees and puzzles I can never finish?

Lincoln Center is gone so that's a major bummer. And doesn't look like BB Kings is on this ship. Any suitable venues you enjoy to fill in those blank spaces? 

It doesn't look like NY Pizza is on this ship, but I assume pizza is avail on the buffet or through room service - same quality? 

And looks like no Tamarind or sushi.

Hmm, maybe I'm starting to answer my own question. Or maybe, HOPEFULLY, there are some really great pluses to this ship that I'm missing!

Thanks for any info you wish to share.  

I have been on both those ships and prefer the Zaandam. I thought the NA was not laid out well at all, with the Exploration Cafe way up in the Crow’s Nest. Zaandam has the cafe/lounge in the promenade deck area, where all the other venues are. It has a great library in it, with those great views and puzzles. The Explorer’s Lounge across the passageway is where there was a classical duo most nights (Jan. last year), and the Ocean Bar had a great band that played in the evenings. 

I can’t speak to the Neptune suite, but the Zaandam did get the new interactive TVs when I was last on her, so it’s probably nicer than what the video shows, unless it was taken very recently. 

I don’t recall how good the pizza was on Zaandam, but it did have a taco bar in the Lido pool area (across from Dive In) that was quite good. HAL is experimenting with “pop-up” restaurants for the ships that don’t have them, so there’s a good chance that there might be a Tamarind pop-up. 

if I had my druthers, I’d sail on the Zaandam over the Nieuw Amsterdam any day. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

if I had my druthers, I’d sail on the Zaandam over the Nieuw Amsterdam any day. 

Thanks very much for all the useful information.

Sounds like it's a bit different (which will be fun to explore) with unique pluses of its own.

It's great to hear there are nice music options - we don't have much at home so we love to enjoy them on cruises. 

I didn't know about the taco bar or the current pop-ups. 

And I guess I need to refresh my memory on Exploration Cafe vs Explorer's Lounge!

• Like 1

The Neptune Suite on the Zaandam has a bigger cabin and balcony than the Nieuw Amsterdam.  However, the bathroom is smaller with only one sink and a combination tub/shower.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

The Neptune Suite on the Zaandam has a bigger cabin and balcony than the Nieuw Amsterdam.  However, the bathroom is smaller with only one sink and a combination tub/shower.

Oh, thank you for that info. 

We'd rather have more of the space in the main part of the cabin and balcony(!) than the bath area anyway - tho a separate shower is always a luxury. And that little dressing area with closets was great.

In my mind, the best bathroom at sea is on NCL's jewel class ships in the haven - really large with double sinks plus separate shower and tub with ocean views when at sea. But possibly seeing eye to eye with neighbors when in port!

The Neptune Suite on the Zaandam is very nice other than the bathroom.  The bathroom is very much old school.  Nice dressing area and a very large balcony that is deeper.  You can get out of the sun and wind much easier! The main part of the Neptune Suite is the same size as the other ships---for all practicality. The Neptune Lounge is also very similar.....

• Thanks 1

Just got off the Volendam (sister ship to the Zaandam) and had a Neptune Suite.

The verandahs on both these ships are the largest of any Neptune suites in the fleet.  The rooms are the largest.  The only step down is the bathroom which has been pointed out but it’s not the end of the world.  The dressing room area is certainly large enough to comfortably do your hair, makeup, etc.

TV is on the wall, like the other ships, interactive and can be watched from the bed and the corner of the couch or on the chairs facing it.

One thing to keep in mind on this class of ships is that there are few Neptune suites so the service is more personalized in the Neptune Lounge.  There is no need to put your key card in the slot of the door to get into the Neptune Lounge.  Just open the door.  The concierge knows who everyone of her/his guests are.  If you check the beginning of my Live thread, you will see how very helpful the concierge was to the “Merry Widows” when catastrophe struck with my firend’s luggage handle and my walking stick.  I’m not saying you wouldn’t get the same help on the larger ships but I do think it was attended to in a very personal manner and very quickly.

while the Volendam and Zaandam don’t have Tamarind or NY Pizza, they are cooking for fewer guests and the food in the MDR was very good to excellent except for 2 things.  

You will see the same crew and passengers which is a nice experience IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mosaic said:

Nice dressing area and a very large balcony that is deeper.  You can get out of the sun and wind much easier! The main part of the Neptune Suite is the same size as the other ships---for all practicality. The Neptune Lounge is also very similar.....

Thank you - that's great that the balcony is even deeper especially with the Panama Canal itinerary - to get out of the sun OR rain like we had last trip. 

7 hours ago, kazu said:

If you check the beginning of my Live thread, you will see how very helpful the concierge was to the “Merry Widows” when catastrophe struck with my firend’s luggage handle and my walking stick.

Thanks for all the info regarding the room size, the TV, the food and the overall smaller ship advantages.

Concierge story - On our other trip through the canal, a guest forgot his belt and asked Hector in the Neptune Suite where he could get one - Hector took off his own and handed it to the guy without a thought! 

Thanks all - sounds like we will not be disappointed.

And since she'll be in drydock for a few weeks in early 2025, there's even more reason to book it!

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, kazu said:

while the Volendam and Zaandam don’t have Tamarind or NY Pizza, they are cooking for fewer guests and the food in the MDR was very good to excellent except for 2 things.  

You will see the same crew and passengers which is a nice experience IMO.

@kazu, what were the two things that weren't good in the MDR? Inquiring minds want to know!

L.

Edited by leerathje

The Lido pizza does not compare to NY Deli Pizza. If you get pizza, grab the first slice when they bring it out. Otherwise it sits and becomes tasteless rubber. Having fresh pizza from NY Deli is much better. Depending on the cruise and length, there may be a Tamarind night in Pinnacle restaurant so book fast if interested.  We prefer to sail either class ships over the newer. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, leerathje said:

@kazu, what were the two things that weren't good in the MDR? Inquiring minds want to know!

L.

The escargots ( I spoke to the chef about them when she cae around to the tables on the last Gala night and made suggestions ) and the crème brûlée (scorched and undercooked).

Hard to understand when so much of the food was really very good.  

9 hours ago, REOVA said:

The Lido pizza does not compare to NY Deli Pizza. If you get pizza, grab the first slice when they bring it out. Otherwise it sits and becomes tasteless rubber. Having fresh pizza from NY Deli is much better. Depending on the cruise and length, there may be a Tamarind night in Pinnacle restaurant so book fast if interested.  We prefer to sail either class ships over the newer. 

The pizza absolutely doesn't compare. On Zaandam, you can choose from whatever they have prepared. On the Pinnacle class ships, your pizza is custom ordered and built just for you, fresh. Worlds apart. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the NA for our last cruise and agree with one poster above that having the Explorations Cafe in the Crows Nest wasn’t great. We enjoyed the rest of the ship.

In June, we will be boarding the Zaandam. I know there is no NY pizza or BB Kings but that isn’t a problem. What we like Is the fact that there are less people on the ship and most reviewers like the food and the staff! That alone is worth it!