Ventura - level 3?

1 hour ago, GOQ said:

Unfortunately, despite hand washing and use of the supplied hand gels on entering dining rooms and buffet I still caught Norovirus on a recent Azure cruise.

As you say Antibacterial gels are ineffective against it, I still went down with Norovirus.

Trying to minimise the risk on future cruises I had a think. I have to use a walking stick so quite probably after touching an infected surface and then using my walking stick the handle of my walking stick became contaminated, so after washing my hands then holding my stick my hands would become re-contaminated.

I have read that copper is a very good antiviral, its been proven to kill coronavirus, so I have bought myself a walking stick with a brass handle. I can smell the brass on my hands after using it, so I hope this will work. I have also bough a bottle of the antiviral foam which was recommended on this forum, I will soak a handkerchief in this stuff and keep in a bag in my pocket. I definitely won't rely on the P&O gel stuff.

Apparently hand washing does not kill Norovirus, nor does antiviral foams. Proper hand washing helps by washing the viral particles down the plug hole and then dry with paper towels. If using the buffet don't touch the serving utensils, I use fresh paper towels. Don't eat anything that a passenger could have touched such as bread rolls etc.

On board remedial measures don't work well as EVERYONE in an infected cabin needs to be isolated and in my experience cabin sanitation was perfunctory with some surfaces and drawer handles etc missed, basically the 'team' needs a supervisor present to ensure they do it properly

• Like 1

I anticipate that the entire public area of the ship will be fogged as during Covid turnaround.

Not doubting some crew transmission, UK mainland Noro levels are massively up for May, so people keep brining it on board.

As for theft of washing, I believe people can collect it before leaving.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Thedonkeycentrehalf said:

Not just cruise lines affected.  BBC reporting that Butlins Bognor is closed to day visitors due to ‘sickness cases’.

Which cruise ships sailing out of Southampton are affected please?

7 minutes ago, NewWestwardbound said:

Any other ships from other lines?

I've not see anything in the local press, but there's a lot of cases everywhere atm. 

CDC have reported that so far in 2024 there have been outbreaks on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Silversea Cruises, Holland America Line, Cunard, Celebrity.

The UK Health Agency has also reported that recorded cases for this time of year are at the highest level in five years, particularly in health and social care settings.

It doesn't matter where we go or what we do, there is always a risk. As long as we take every precaution we can there is not much else we can do.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Devon born and bred said:

CDC have reported that so far in 2024 there have been outbreaks on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Silversea Cruises, Holland America Line, Cunard, Celebrity.

The UK Health Agency has also reported that recorded cases for this time of year are at the highest level in five years, particularly in health and social care settings.

It doesn't matter where we go or what we do, there is always a risk. As long as we take every precaution we can there is not much else we can do.

Do any of the CDC reports relate to sailings from Southampton? 

3 hours ago, NewWestwardbound said:

You've more or less asked this three times in the last nine hours.   Yes, they do as people have answered.    If you are sailing soon, there's only two choices - cancel, or accept that the cruise lines, mainly P&O at the moment, are doing the best they can, in a situation that they rely on others, namely their passengers, to observe good hygiene.

10 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

and Arvia now as well.

Someone who will be embarking reported on a live feed yesterday that Arvia's departure on Sunday had been put back until 7.30pm.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewWestwardbound said:

Which cruise ships sailing out of Southampton are affected please?

6 minutes ago, NewWestwardbound said:

I think you have misread my posts. 

3 hours ago, NewWestwardbound said:

4 hours ago, NewWestwardbound said:

Any other ships from other lines?

Nope.    As has been said by others, if you have any anxieties for yourself or family / friends in the near future, all you can do is base your decisions on your own circumstances, stay safe and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

Boarded Ventura just over an hour ago (6.30pm Sat 25th May). At the terminal they were sticking to the ‘arrival time on boarding pass’ + 4hrs almost to the minute. 
Our original arrival time was 1pm - due to queues for the CPS valet parking we didn’t arrive at the terminal until 5.55pm (took about 45 mins from entering dock gate 10). 

We were allowed to enter the terminal straight away (they were just shouting 2.00pm - 2.15 to the massive queue). 
It took exactly 30 mins from entering the terminal to checking in, security and then boarding. 
At the time we boarded there were hundreds and hundreds of people queuing up outside the terminal - many in for a long wait if they’ve arrived too early. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing boarding details that will be very useful if similar delays for the following cruise.

i hope you then managed to relax and enjoyed the food and drink facilities onboard ! 

Making the most of what we’ve got today. We went straight to the restaurant for evening meal, now sat having drinks in Metropolis. With only half a day today not going to get much value from my drinks package!  

Captain has just done his safety announcement. Enhanced protocols in operation - the buffet will not be self service.

I’ve also spotted - no salt and pepper on tables. Butter is given to you when you ask for bread, it isn’t on the table. No drinks menus around in Metropolis at the moment. 

Sail away set for 9pm. 

• Like 2

Just to be clear….

- Most ships operating out of UK reporting high cases of norovirus.

- CDC only reports voyages in or out of USA territories.

- Protocols in place to identify and quarantine crew.

- Cleaning protocols at turnaround should be sufficient ONLY if no new passenger takes the virus onboard again at embarkation

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Just to be clear….

- Cleaning protocols at turnaround should be sufficient ONLY if no new passenger takes the virus onboard again at embarkation

Very sorry,the protocols to identify crew was not evident on Aurora R407,crew working although obviously unwell in dining rooms One instant, waiter one evening wearing blue mask,when asked why he said that he had the cruise cough. Next morning no mask, dinner time no mask evening no mask never wore it again, his number two quietly coughing for days. Also day one breakfast in Medina everyone being given a pager,guests backed up to the lift and all the way down to excursions desk. Person dishing out pagers did not sanitise her hands throughout. Tables set but people not being moved though. When asked why was told that she had not released the tables yet! total chaos. I refused to take pager and also refused to go back into the scrum,went and stood waiting to be called at the first desk inside, 30 minute wait,although we had not asked for a table for two. Do not blame the guests,the problems are within the crew,they are working and spreading because they have to.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

Very sorry,the protocols to identify crew was not evident on Aurora R407,crew working although obviously unwell in dining rooms One instant, waiter one evening wearing blue mask,when asked why he said that he had the cruise cough. Next morning no mask, dinner time no mask evening no mask never wore it again, his number two quietly coughing for days. Also day one breakfast in Medina everyone being given a pager,guests backed up to the lift and all the way down to excursions desk. Person dishing out pagers did not sanitise her hands throughout. Tables set but people not being moved though. When asked why was told that she had not released the tables yet! total chaos. I refused to take pager and also refused to go back into the scrum,went and stood waiting to be called at the first desk inside, 30 minute wait,although we had not asked for a table for two. Do not blame the guests,the problems are within the crew,they are working and spreading because they have to.

The Crew do not get forced to work if anything they are made sure to quarantine. Cruise cough pretty common more than likely its the air conditioning causing the coughing and making them look unwell. I won't go into specifics but if crew are unwell they are told to attend the medical center, have tests done if needs be and get confined to a cabin. Obviously once the quarantine period ends nothing stopping them from going back to work If I remember no different to what we do at home. 

Edited by carlanthony24

5 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Just to be clear….

Thank you for this. Very clear and helpful. 

6 hours ago, molecrochip said:

A further question if I may. To whom do ships operating out of UK report cases of Norovirus, and are such reports accessible to members of the public? 

4 hours ago, NewWestwardbound said:

A further question if I may. To whom do ships operating out of UK report cases of Norovirus, and are such reports accessible to members of the public? 

I believe they should be reporting outbreaks of Norovirus and the like to Public Health England.