Opinions on Island Princess

Island Princess seems to be the only option for us for a Med cruise.  We recently sailed on Discovery so I’m afraid sailing on Island might be a huge mistake. We would be off ship practically everyday for ports though. Any thoughts or opinions appreciated!

I did two 30 day cruises on Island in 2024 and had no issues with the ship.  So long as your expectations aren't for glitz and glamour of the newest ships, Island is very nice.  She has her quirks that take a bit of getting used to, but the Explorers Lounge is great with a couple of good bartenders, and by and large the ship isn't crowded.

Bayou Cafe instead of Crown Grill, but still a good steak, and there's a Sabbatini's.  Anyway I liked Island. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Much smaller ship, and older than Discovery.  Island is a Panamax ship, so it is narrower than your typical modern cruise ship, built specifically to fit through the old locks at the Panama Canal.  It is missing some of the things most Princess cruisers really crave, like a full International Cafe.  Since your trip is very port intensive, I don't think you'll be too displeased with the smaller ship since it is basically a place you have breakfast and dinner each day and a place you sleep.  You'll have most of the same Princess style entertainment and shows in the evening.  And since it is a smaller ship, fewer passengers, which also means fewer crowds.

I was on Discovery last year, and while it is a beautiful ship, you can really tell the difference in the number of passengers on board compared to sailings I've done on smaller Grand class ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the ship is the destination and you like new and fancy the Island is not for you.   If it's all about the ports then it really doesn't matter what ship you are on.   Having a port just about every day is exhausting.   You will not see much of the ship just the bed as you fall asleep. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did a TA on Island and the 7 sea days were just as nice as the port days.  You do feel closer to the ocean on a smaller ship when you're out in the middle of the Atlantic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al2863 said:

Island Princess seems to be the only option for us for a Med cruise.  We recently sailed on Discovery so I’m afraid sailing on Island might be a huge mistake. We would be off ship practically everyday for ports though. Any thoughts or opinions appreciated!

All in what you like, but the Island has a forward facing buffet with full glass for a >180 view. 

You don't get forward views on Royal Class, like Discovery, unless you're paying for Sanctuary or watch the view ahead on TV.

Yes, they did add cabins to the Island since we sailed, but I would still prefer that over any Royal Class ship, if only to cut down on the elevator wait time for which the Royal Class is notorious. 

Did 12 nights on Island right after its remodel dry dock in the Amalfi Suite, it was amazing. Something to consider is a Med cruise is port intensive and your onshore all day so to me ship is more transportation rather than destination.

We were on the Island in September/October 2023 for a port-intensive European cruise.  We had a great time and enjoyed the ship.  Our mini-suite was in good condition, we enjoyed both Sabatini's and Bayou Cafe (serves Crown Grill menu), there was plenty of evening entertainment, and everything went as planned.  One downside is no International Cafe, as someone else has mentioned. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Island again!

• Like 1

We sailed to Iceland, Ireland, Scotland, and England on her in September 2023. A bit tired but perfectly serviceable. The food was good, the covered pool was nice, great library, large balconies, scooped ice cream at no extra charge, and I liked the location of the buffet. Room steward was the best one ever! (Dmetri from Ukraine.)

The only downside was saggy mattresses. By the end of the cruise, 3 out of the 4 in our group had Covid. The one who didn't catch it received a booster before we traveled.

I'm getting a booster tomorrow for my cruise in 45 days. 😵‍💫

we did a TA on the Island last fall....we went onboard with low expectations given reviews we had researched.......

we enjoyed it so much  we have booked the TA again this fall. Great crew, ship didn't seem crowded ....Very good food and we loved the small ship feel and the covered pool!

The reserve (club class) dining was incredible!

have a great cruise!

• Like 2

Did a 17 night T/A on Island Princess last summer, and 20 more nights this January. It's smaller and older than the glitzy new-builds, but I absolutely LOVED the ship, the crew, and the vibes. Bayou Cafe was fantastic and I am hoping for 20 more nights in January of '25! 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The biggest drawback to the Island is the fitness center is in a windowless area at the stern of the ship on a lower deck.  It is kind of depressing if you're used to the upper deck fitness centers with wide windows to look out while on the treadmill or elliptical.

It was clearly added to the ship long after she was built and fitness centers became increasingly important to some cruisers.

Edited by DCThunder

We are going on the Island in July for 21 days. We have not cruised on this ship before but have cruised on the Coral several times.  The Coral is a similar layout.  Two things I will miss will be the International Cafe & Vines wine bar.  I am sure we will make do.

7 hours ago, DCThunder said:

The biggest drawback to the Island is the fitness center is in a windowless area at the stern of the ship on a lower deck. 

It was clearly added to the ship long after she was built and fitness centers became increasingly important to some cruisers.

The fitness center is where the Universe Lounge used to be.  Similar to the Vista Lounge on other ships.

On 5/9/2024 at 2:09 AM, Teechur said:

We sailed to Iceland, Ireland, Scotland, and England on her in September 2023. A bit tired but perfectly serviceable. The food was good, the covered pool was nice, great library, large balconies, scooped ice cream at no extra charge, and I liked the location of the buffet. Room steward was the best one ever! (Dmetri from Ukraine.)

The only downside was saggy mattresses. By the end of the cruise, 3 out of the 4 in our group had Covid. The one who didn't catch it received a booster before we traveled.

I'm getting a booster tomorrow for my cruise in 45 days. 😵‍💫

Where on the ship do they serve scooped ice cream for free?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, artvlay said:

Where on the ship do they serve scooped ice cream for free?

At the counter where they dish soft-serve ice cream and make those disgusting premium sundaes, by the covered pool. They always offered a choice.

I didn't have a package, but I did have $850 in OBC, and I would have paid but they didn't ask.

• Like 1

We just booked the Island Princess for an 18 Day Canada & Greenland cruise.  I have watched several vlogs but I have not been able to determine if there is a place that is open at night (like from 10pm to 1am) to get snacks or do you have to order room service?

On 5/9/2024 at 1:12 PM, DCThunder said:

The biggest drawback to the Island is the fitness center is in a windowless area at the stern of the ship on a lower deck.  It is kind of depressing if you're used to the upper deck fitness centers with wide windows to look out while on the treadmill or elliptical.

She always had a fitness center, but it was relocated when she was mangled, er, I mean extensively renovated several years ago.  It was aft on Lido, with windows, where now there are cabins. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Teechur said:

At the counter where they dish soft-serve ice cream and make those disgusting premium sundaes, by the covered pool. They always offered a choice.

I didn't have a package, but I did have $850 in OBC, and I would have paid but they didn't ask.

Could it be that your medallion was read and your account was debited without your knowledge?

6 hours ago, artvlay said:

Could it be that your medallion was read and your account was debited without your knowledge?

No. The plain ice cream is free.

11 hours ago, artvlay said:

I would have known when I checked my account (daily).

16 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

She always had a fitness center, but it was relocated when she was mangled, er, I mean extensively renovated several years ago.  It was aft on Lido, with windows, where now there are cabins. 

Did Octoberfest cruise on her last year. Mini suite was tired and the air never worked though they tried for days to fix it. The fitness center is like doing time in jail. We vowed never to go on the Island again

Sailed on Island once after the renovation (Panama Canal).  Fewer public areas, more staterooms.  Seemed very packed - queues for almost everything.  I personally would never said on the Island again.  

Was on Island last October of the Northern Light Cruise.

Doors to covered pool area such open most of the time making the area too cold to use. Since it was a cold weather cruise the smaller amount of public space was noticeable compared to the Coral and other Princess ships.

Location of the gym into an inside space also made it less usable.

Basically we only book on Island if the itinerary is one we really want to go on and no other way to do it.

• Like 1